Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joining the Army, Need help picking MOS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly hope that female is not a soldier and that her NCO is not sitting right next to her with her hair like that.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankSS
its the new fiscal year, where all the numbers they need and budget is reset
So there is still a chance?

Originally Posted by Awake455
FWIW I work with a bunch of 25S ppl, and have to step into their shoes regularly. Can be a fun gig when you are actually doing your job...which is normally deployments. Looong AIT and lots to keep track of. Great if you get into a JNN or UHN and are the type of person who likes to have a lot of stuff going on at once.
Looks really cool on paper, i will continue to research it as i try to narrow my selections down.

Originally Posted by beerwhiskeyjoe
If you decide to join as enlisted, and want to go SOF, just cut the crap and go 11b/19d. Your chances of even going to selection as a pog are slim to begin with, nevermind actually being selected. Unless you know you really are that damn good.

Plus, how old are you? Can't remember now, but there is a definant age limit to get into SF, again unless they really like you.
The reason i dont want to be infantry is because .. well its infantry i would like to do something that i can convert to something else later.. What is a POG? Well yea I know it is hard to get into special forces thats why they are the best. I'm 26 right now and i am pretty damn good.

if you have ANY interest in aviation, I would highly suggest you follow it... no matter which job you choose, it will have a good job in the civilian world. If you are a helicopter crew chief, then you can get your FAA A&P licence to work on any aircraft in the US.
So i would get to play around while im at work basically .. lol. sounds like a good job to play around on which is kinda what we were thinking when i looked at it. I dont know if im going to stick with it though. We shall see.

this is part of the work we did as a 15J on the OH-58D... working at the FARP during a Gunnery loading weapons... dont have pics of us doing maintenance
That could be interesting but i dunno.

I really hope they stop acting like this when it gets to October..
Old 08-25-2010, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
I certainly hope that female is not a soldier and that her NCO is not sitting right next to her with her hair like that.
She is a NCO... The wonders of this job field
Old 08-25-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Not much of one.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28hustle
The reason i dont want to be infantry is because .. well its infantry i would like to do something that i can convert to something else later.. What is a POG? Well yea I know it is hard to get into special forces thats why they are the best. I'm 26 right now and i am pretty damn good.
You should look into Psyops then, I think they're under special operations command just like SF so you should be working pretty close to them, plus from what I understand they still do all the high speed **** like airborne and pathfinder, ect. That would transfer over to a marketing type career as a civilian. POG is person other than grunt= not infantry. 26 shouldn't be bad at all, I think its 30 is the cutoff, but again if they like you they'll bend the rules for you.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Theres alot of good info here. How close are you to any post? I was a 68W, medic, and reclassed to 68g, hospital administration. I know I know, hospital stuff, not really fun sounding eh? I loved the medic part of it, administration isn't all hype of glory, but its a great job skill for retirement. If you pick something like 68WM6 (skill identifier) then you can go from enlisted to officer through the AMEDD programs-its a different side of the officer corps, basically only medical. Try also, if you want to go officer side, talking to an Amedd recruiter. The medical services corp may be able to use the business admin and place it as hospital admin. Again, not glory jobs, but def great experience in life.

In the end, you'll have to find a job that you enjoy, that you can put up with, and realize that each one has their own version of suck. My job is not a physical "suck" because very rarely do people get broken in this job, but the mental stress sometimes is "suck". Maybe just the opposite for a 13B...alot of physical stress and being broken, but not as much mental fatigue. who knows ...and yes NCOs lead the way
Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beerwhiskeyjoe
You should look into Psyops then, I think they're under special operations command just like SF so you should be working pretty close to them, plus from what I understand they still do all the high speed **** like airborne and pathfinder, ect. That would transfer over to a marketing type career as a civilian. POG is person other than grunt= not infantry. 26 shouldn't be bad at all, I think its 30 is the cutoff, but again if they like you they'll bend the rules for you.
Yea I thought psyops looked pretty cool so im definitely going to have that near the top of my list if not at the top. I've got until october to make a decision so im gonna keep looking. Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by blubaldmontess
Theres alot of good info here. How close are you to any post? I was a 68W, medic, and reclassed to 68g, hospital administration. I know I know, hospital stuff, not really fun sounding eh? I loved the medic part of it, administration isn't all hype of glory, but its a great job skill for retirement. If you pick something like 68WM6 (skill identifier) then you can go from enlisted to officer through the AMEDD programs-its a different side of the officer corps, basically only medical. Try also, if you want to go officer side, talking to an Amedd recruiter. The medical services corp may be able to use the business admin and place it as hospital admin. Again, not glory jobs, but def great experience in life.

In the end, you'll have to find a job that you enjoy, that you can put up with, and realize that each one has their own version of suck. My job is not a physical "suck" because very rarely do people get broken in this job, but the mental stress sometimes is "suck". Maybe just the opposite for a 13B...alot of physical stress and being broken, but not as much mental fatigue. who knows ...and yes NCOs lead the way
I dont know about actually helping peoples health as a job as im more into the opposite side of the spectrum..

There is definitely a lot of good info here and i really appreciate everyone who has come into the thread to help out! Keep it coming guys!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Im just throwing this out there for you...take it or leave it.

The Marines will take you with a possession of 5 grams no problem...expunged or not. Also since you have a degree its mandatory that if you talk to a Marine recruiter that they have the Officer Selection Office screen you out for Officer Candidate School.

Once you pass OCS (if you get selected or accept it) you choose air, ground or law.

Obviously air is pilots, ground is pretty much upper level management / policy writers and law is obviously Jag officers.

Eitherway if you can go officer in any branch, do it. It pays better, you get better treatment ect ect. Just dont be a dbag officer that thinks hes ******* king **** because he went to college and treat your troops like men and they will respect you.

Thats all I got. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Ha Ha u think thats bad. u should come to ft riley its all jacked up
Originally Posted by Z06PSI
Old 08-26-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

I feel as though since the Army has been at war discipline has faltered somewhat and people use the deployment cycle as an excuse. I blame the NCO's or even the fast promotion rate on this. The Army is using promotions to help retention and it is doing nothing but hurting the service in the long run.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
.....Just dont be a dbag officer that thinks hes ******* king **** because he went to college and treat your troops like men and they will respect you.....
My Dad always told me to get in good with your NCOs and then you're good to go. Treat them with respect and listen to their advice. Sergeant is the name of God on the lips of young enlisted men during war.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Teching In

My 02 about those that are saying that PSYOPS is close to the same as Special Forces, they are not even in the same league. I am not saying that one is more important than the other because it takes all MOSs to win the war, but we have to very very different jobs. No Team guy will ever call Airborne or Pathfinder a high-speed school. If you are really looking for something along the lines of SF or Rangers than I think you will be disappointed with PSYOPS. I know some people love being in PSYOPS but generally it is a different type of person who does SF vs PSYOPS. And for the guys who said you need to be a 11b to make it past selection they dont know what they are talking about. Plenty of non combat arms guys make it through Selection and go on to be geat SF dudes.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Teching In

get a crab.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

19K baby M1 Armor Crewman

Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Well, look at all your options..and check across the other branches to see all your offers..
Just my .02... I jumped into a heavy track slot..I don't regret it..but, i have worked with many -many dumbasses..
Old 09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats all you can do... and meine, you about ready to get the hell out of here?? hahaha

Quick Reply: Joining the Army, Need help picking MOS