Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

MEPS in two weeks, then basic, then OCS. Couple questions, looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default MEPS in two weeks, then basic, then OCS. Couple questions, looking for advice.

Here in about two weeks I'll be heading to MEPS and soon after that I should be off to Basic and then OCS for the Army National Guard. Life has been kind of crazy leading up to this moment, but the short of it is that I'm recently divorced and am now a single father. I couldn't go active duty and keep custody of my kids, so the guard was an option. I wasn't even sure if I would go the military route with family matters being as they are, but now I'm confident I'll be able to do it just fine. This leads me to some questions, hopefully some can answer and maybe even some can chime in with some advice. I'll organize this the best I can.

1.) What is the average wait time between MEPS and leaving for basic? I know it's probably dependent on my MOS (09S), but I was just wondering what the typical wait time is. I'm only concerned about this due to my next question;

2.) What should I do physically to prepare for basic? I'm 26, 195lbs, and I'm not the strongest when it comes to upper body strength. It's been over 8 years since I've run consistently and I never really did get into the whole physical fitness aspect even back then. Family life, raising kids, and college after High School have really turned me into a powder puff. I can barely do 5-10 push ups without my arms wanting to give out. Sit ups aren't AS bad, I just need to get back into the swing of things with them and pace myself. I'm starting to jog again, I usually make it two to three minutes and then walk for two to three minutes and then repeat. I do this for a little over 2 miles every other night. Most would be embarrassed to be this out of shape for being 26 years old and I admit that I am a little. For the most part I just want to get better and be able to hold my own during basic. Any advice on what to do here?

Basically, I know that I'm going to be singled out for being an 09S at BCT. My father was a college op when he went through and told me to count on it. That's no big deal to me really, I was expecting it anyways. My biggest concern is being physically prepared for basic. I am not up to snuff right now and I know that. Is this something I should confide in my recruiter so we can work on something? Or would I have enough time between MEPS and BCT to get into enough shape to be ok? From most of my research online, everyone says to be able to do the minimum requirements before I enter. From everyone I talk to in real life, they say it doesn't matter and that I could have trouble lifting a bottle of water and make it just fine. They say that the first phase will be so physically intensive that I'll be whipped into shape in no time and not to worry about it. Something tells me that the truth is somewhere in the middle..... Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm open to new ideas and I can always use advice.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a drill sgt and may be able to help you out #1 if im not mistaken 09s is commision officer canidate, if your gong to meps they should already know when and where you are going even if you are dep (delayed entry program)
#2 you need to eat good and get use to pushups, situps, and running because from day 0 you will be doing alot of it mainly pushups, start doing some close hands, wide arms, and reagular and when you get tired drop down to your knees and keep pushing
#3 you get from the army what you put in it some people dred it and makes life mis, and some people love it and stay motivated thats the ones who do good. good luck
Old 10-27-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the quick response SmokinAce! Yea, 09S was what they told me my classification would be. I'm hoping for a little time in between MEPS and BCT so I can work on building up my stamina for jogging and getting better at pushups and situps. I'm not joining because I have to, or because I'm hoping for benefits or something. I just always wanted to serve. For the longest time my wife wouldn't entertain the idea, now that I'm free from her I really want to pursue it. I don't dread the military, I'm actually really excited. The only thing that makes my spine tingle is not being up to par with the physical aspect of training. I don't want to go there and be the weakest link, know what I mean?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

well thats good you want to join to serve, but take advantage of all the benefits also theres alot of them. you will be fine on fitness we get all kinds of privates that i bet are in alot worse shape that you, some cant do a pushup, but try to knock at least 20 out in two minutes before you get there so they dont try and hold you in reception.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Run as much as possible. Alternate long distance running days with sprinting and don't run every day. The days you don't run do upper body. Push yourself every time and you should be fine. Basic is easy compared to the rest of it.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Be happy you didnt have to wait in the Air Force's DEP. 369 days from swear in to ship out for myself when I do finally leave in December.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Not getting injured is what you need to worry about. Keep a good diet between now and the time you leave. Drink milk for your bones. Many recruits these days, and the Soldiers I receive who are fresh from AIT, come to me broke with skeletal issues. Drink plenty of water and eat lots of green things. Your body will need this in order to prepare itself for what you are about to go through.

OCS is a lot of walking, ruck marching and physical activities. Your body needs to prepare for this. Do some push ups here and there throughout the day. Your walk/jog concept is a great start, just keep increasing the time you're out for by a few minutes a week. At the end of each week, you can test yourself by running nonstop to see your weekly progress. Pace is not the goal, time spent running is. Start working on your pull ups. If you cannot do one rep, start by just hanging on a bar, do this until you can no longer hold on - just don't fall too far. Long walks are a good way to prep your feet. You will be on your feet longer than you ever could have imagined. I remember how sore my feet and legs were after the first few weeks of basic. Long walks may take the place of a run day, but try to walk without stopping for an hour, and build up to a few hours. And bring water and sport drink in a back pack, maybe some food.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokinAce
well thats good you want to join to serve, but take advantage of all the benefits also theres alot of them. you will be fine on fitness we get all kinds of privates that i bet are in alot worse shape that you, some cant do a pushup, but try to knock at least 20 out in two minutes before you get there so they dont try and hold you in reception.
Oh yea, the benefits are definitely a plus. The SLRP is really going to help me out with my loans and my kids will have access to good health care. Can't complain about any of that. I'll certainly keep working on my pushups and situps, I'd hate to be held at reception longer than necessary. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by acertx
Run as much as possible. Alternate long distance running days with sprinting and don't run every day. The days you don't run do upper body. Push yourself every time and you should be fine. Basic is easy compared to the rest of it.
That's basically what I've been doing so far. Jogging one day, upper body the next, and then so on. At first I was always sore and tired, now I feel good after I do it!

Originally Posted by Shamson5.7
Be happy you didnt have to wait in the Air Force's DEP. 369 days from swear in to ship out for myself when I do finally leave in December.
Yea, a friend of mine joined the Air Force and he waited for what seemed to be forever and a day just to ship out.

Originally Posted by kidreno_21
Not getting injured is what you need to worry about. Keep a good diet between now and the time you leave. Drink milk for your bones. Many recruits these days, and the Soldiers I receive who are fresh from AIT, come to me broke with skeletal issues. Drink plenty of water and eat lots of green things. Your body will need this in order to prepare itself for what you are about to go through.

OCS is a lot of walking, ruck marching and physical activities. Your body needs to prepare for this. Do some push ups here and there throughout the day. Your walk/jog concept is a great start, just keep increasing the time you're out for by a few minutes a week. At the end of each week, you can test yourself by running nonstop to see your weekly progress. Pace is not the goal, time spent running is. Start working on your pull ups. If you cannot do one rep, start by just hanging on a bar, do this until you can no longer hold on - just don't fall too far. Long walks are a good way to prep your feet. You will be on your feet longer than you ever could have imagined. I remember how sore my feet and legs were after the first few weeks of basic. Long walks may take the place of a run day, but try to walk without stopping for an hour, and build up to a few hours. And bring water and sport drink in a back pack, maybe some food.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for the info! My father also warned me about pushing myself so hard that I get injured before I even leave. He basically said that the military would rather me come to BCT a little sluggish rather than not have me come at all because I broke a bone or tore up a muscle trying to get into shape fast. Being on my feet and living off of water and Gatorade won't be anything new to me, my job throughout college was working on the grounds crew so we basically walked the entirety of our campus every day with everything from weedeaters, edgers, blowers, you name it. Did that for four years and I got to the point where walking was no big deal anymore. My friends think I'm psyching myself up for nothing, but it's just my nature to be prepared and try and be aware of what's to come. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

You will be fine. Trust me i have seen some completely out of shape people make it. just remember the drill sgts are there to help you even if sometimes it may seem they r picking at you. they want to see you succeed. by the time comes for your basic part to be done you will most likely respect your drill very much. seen the drills spend plenty of one on one time with people who were not as good as the others to get them up to par. its awesome good luck you will love it.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your first problem is going to OCS....Officers are crap....But basic is a breeze man...you'll end up running a 36minute 4 mile which is easy....It may seem hard at the time but you have no idea what you can put your body through before it gives out...Your mind will give up before your body.....
Old 11-09-2010, 02:44 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
Your first problem is going to OCS....Officers are crap....
Old 11-09-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The run time will drop in basic, no problem! I went through Navy basic back in 02. In DEP PT I would puke at the end of 1.5 mile run. PT Zero at basic I completed the run, granted at an ugly 16 minutes? PT 1 I was at 13:20ish, PT 2, the final test, I was at 11:43, barely passing as I had to run 12:15 at the age of 18, but I cut over four minutes in just two months. The fastest I ever ran was 10:17. At that time I was running 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the kind words guys! Just got back (literally) from taking the ASVAB, got a 94! Now to get my Chapter 2 physical and I should be squared away for boot!

Quick Reply: MEPS in two weeks, then basic, then OCS. Couple questions, looking for advice.