Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

uniform rant

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, when appropriate, I have confronted the person and made the correction. However, when I've made a dozen corrections and someone still shows up in cammies amongst dozens in their finest dress uniforms and plops his happy *** on the 2nd row of the chapel, it begins to feel a bit futile.

Hawk, of course not. I'm talking about the individual that makes the conscious choice to attend a funeral in cammies vs a much nicer dress or service uniform.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
Yes, when appropriate, I have confronted the person and made the correction. However, when I've made a dozen corrections and someone still shows up in cammies amongst dozens in their finest dress uniforms and plops his happy *** on the 2nd row of the chapel, it begins to feel a bit futile.
Ok well I still agree that the soldiers should do more to present themselves in a more suitable attire/uniform given the ocassion. But take into fact that the Patriot Gaurd shows up in jeans and leather, some of these guys/gals are veterans, should they have known better? I've conducted several Hero transfers/ramp ceremonies from the back of my Chinook here in RC South and was still in my flight gear, was I wrong too? If you show up at church in jeans and a T-shirt will God consider it a sin? If a soldier is paying his respects to a fallen commrade, should he be chewed out for the uniform he chose to wear? Was his "cammies dirty, ripped, or unpresentable? Or was it the fact that you don't like that he wore them in the first place? Was this specifically a jacket and tie event? Was there an NCO present that acted accordingly and reprimanded this soldier for his conduct in the 2nd row? It's good to know you at least confronted the soldiers and let them know your opinion on their attire, I wonder what kind of excuses they gave you.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robcas47
Ok well I still agree that the soldiers should do more to present themselves in a more suitable attire/uniform given the ocassion. But take into fact that the Patriot Gaurd shows up in jeans and leather, some of these guys/gals are veterans, should they have known better? I've conducted several Hero transfers/ramp ceremonies from the back of my Chinook here in RC South and was still in my flight gear, was I wrong too? If you show up at church in jeans and a T-shirt will God consider it a sin? If a soldier is paying his respects to a fallen commrade, should he be chewed out for the uniform he chose to wear? Was his "cammies dirty, ripped, or unpresentable? Or was it the fact that you don't like that he wore them in the first place? Was this specifically a jacket and tie event? Was there an NCO present that acted accordingly and reprimanded this soldier for his conduct in the 2nd row? It's good to know you at least confronted the soldiers and let them know your opinion on their attire, I wonder what kind of excuses they gave you.
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about a memorial service. The last member in my unit that passed, the entire element was given the day prior off to ensure their Class-B's (or sister-service equivalents), and us in the honor guard detail wore our service-blues, Class-A's, etc. I guarantee that if somebody showed up wearing anything else, there would have been some serious paperwork. I understand your view, being part of a flight crew, it wouldn't make sense if you were flying in your Class-A's. However, if you were in garrison, and told that you were going to a memorial service tomorrow, what uniform would you choose?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robcas47
thats why I said "when appropriate"

of course I'm not going to suggest a member of the Patriot Guard wear something other than his/her group attire... or ask a pilot why he's wearing a flight suit... they're wearing the appropriate attire for what they're doing at that moment

with all due respect, I feel you're missing my point. I'm upset at the service member that knows full well where they're going, what they're doing, and the APPROPRIATE attire and they choose to, instead, dress down
Old 12-23-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by majeskyb
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about a memorial service. The last member in my unit that passed, the entire element was given the day prior off to ensure their Class-B's (or sister-service equivalents), and us in the honor guard detail wore our service-blues, Class-A's, etc. I guarantee that if somebody showed up wearing anything else, there would have been some serious paperwork. I understand your view, being part of a flight crew, it wouldn't make sense if you were flying in your Class-A's. However, if you were in garrison, and told that you were going to a memorial service tomorrow, what uniform would you choose?
yes, thank you
Old 12-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

I attended my dad's funeral in desert cammies but that was because I was in Fallujah at the time and had to fly home to TX on emergency leave and had no clothes nor other uniforms to wear. It wasnt a military funeral though so if thats your complaint then look else where but maybe this guy was in a similar situation. Was I a **** bag for doing so? I would think not and I guarantee it was probably the nicest pressed desert uniform you would have ever seen. Sometimes **** happens you know
Old 12-27-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by howellusn
I attended my dad's funeral in desert cammies but that was because I was in Fallujah at the time and had to fly home to TX on emergency leave and had no clothes nor other uniforms to wear. It wasnt a military funeral though so if thats your complaint then look else where but maybe this guy was in a similar situation. Was I a **** bag for doing so? I would think not and I guarantee it was probably the nicest pressed desert uniform you would have ever seen. Sometimes **** happens you know
RIP to your father and I'm certain if you had an hour to spare, you would've worn something different but like you said, **** happens and you dealt with it to the best of your ability.

Again, my complaint is the guy who knows well in advance where he's going and what he *should* wear but still chooses to dress down. You, clearly, do not fall into this category
Old 12-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VinR1
RIP to your father and I'm certain if you had an hour to spare, you would've worn something different but like you said, **** happens and you dealt with it to the best of your ability.

Again, my complaint is the guy who knows well in advance where he's going and what he *should* wear but still chooses to dress down. You, clearly, do not fall into this category

After I re read the thread I understood what you were speaking of more. If I clearly knew I was attending a funeral and was home with all my uniforms laid out I would have chosen the appropriate one. I would freak as well if I saw a guy wearing just a plain ole work uniform to a military funeral that he knew about a week or even a day in advance about. Lucky for me I dont attend many funerals but I feel for the guys who do and the ones who notify.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Teching In

I've been to a slightly less formal funeral (AF EOD guy had a "base" ceremony). It wasn't his Arlington service, but still important. A lot of people went in fatigues just because it was short notice (an email that day), and some were voluntold. I'm CE, so a fellow CE guy (especially an EOD guy with ***** the size of my head) deserved my respect, and I paid it. However, I was in ABUs. An official, final, formal funeral, though, I wouldn't have dreamed of it.

As for uniform rants, I love that people just don't give a ****. Makes it hard to be nice about it when people screw it up, but I usually mind my own business unless it is a blatant lack of pride. I also love when some tough guy E-5 (I'm an E-3) tries to get in my **** because my boots or pants are a little dirty. They're suede sage green pieces of ****, and I work for a living, so I don't change my clothes to grab a Red Bull from the shoppette.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Teching In

"If I had to guess the tools that hit funerals in their utility uniform are probably Army soldiers. The discipline in the Army is in the toilet now."

Lets get this one thing straight....there are shitbags in the Marines, Navy, Airforce, and Army..Ive seen them in Korea, Afghanistan and back in the rear..so its not just the Army..

AND LET ME TELL YOU THAT ITS NOT THE SOLDIERS FAULT, ITS THOSE SORRY SO CALLED "sergeants" THAT HAVE NOT TAUGHT THEM RIGHT, EVERYONE KNOWS HERE THAT EVERY THING IS STARTING TO FALL APART IN EVERY MILITARY BRANCH BECUASE OF THOSE "sergeants". I INSTILL DISCIPLINE IN ALL MY TROOPS, EVEN WHEN THIER LACKING COMMON SENSE IN SOME AREAS, ITS THOSE SORRY SOB'S THAT ARE GETTING LAZY AND ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS GET PAID AND GO HOME... BUT LIKE THE THREAD STATES YES I DISAGREE WITH WEARING CAMO'S AT A FUNERAL...DISREPECTFUL...
Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM
NKAWTG...N

I think the problem is tracing back to the Army retiring the Class A uniform (in 2014).

Now they really only have their Blues for semi-formal occasions.

I have seen Gen Petraeus testifying in front of congress sporting the ACU while every other person in uniform there was in a "service dress" type uniform. Not saying this happens often, but I've seen it more than once with higher ups.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the PFU? LOL.. I agree but did you ask him or approach him? Or did you puss out?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CARBEDLS195SWB
"If I had to guess the tools that hit funerals in their utility uniform are probably Army soldiers. The discipline in the Army is in the toilet now."

Lets get this one thing straight....there are shitbags in the Marines, Navy, Airforce, and Army..Ive seen them in Korea, Afghanistan and back in the rear..so its not just the Army..

AND LET ME TELL YOU THAT ITS NOT THE SOLDIERS FAULT, ITS THOSE SORRY SO CALLED "sergeants" THAT HAVE NOT TAUGHT THEM RIGHT, EVERYONE KNOWS HERE THAT EVERY THING IS STARTING TO FALL APART IN EVERY MILITARY BRANCH BECUASE OF THOSE "sergeants". I INSTILL DISCIPLINE IN ALL MY TROOPS, EVEN WHEN THIER LACKING COMMON SENSE IN SOME AREAS, ITS THOSE SORRY SOB'S THAT ARE GETTING LAZY AND ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS GET PAID AND GO HOME... BUT LIKE THE THREAD STATES YES I DISAGREE WITH WEARING CAMO'S AT A FUNERAL...DISREPECTFUL...
I agree with you to a certain point there are those members of the service who have gotten by collecting a paycheck and sadly moved up in rank. But it is still up to the individual to decide if they are going to be a lazy POS or not. I am sorry but NO BOOT CAMP is going to fix failed parenting or lack thereof. If your entire life you took the easy way and then join the Marines do you think 3 months on the Island or the Depot is going to fix all those years of being lazy. We all wish it were true but once they are in the fleet it's real easy to get those bad habits back. I wouldn't blame just those "sergeants" as much as I would hold society accountable as well. Let's be honest society shaped them long before they became turd NCOs or Os

I personaly would not attend a funeral in my cammies unless it was the only thing I had other than be butt *** naked. At that point they would be inspection ready. Pressed strait brand new boots etc the works. I can completely see where the OP is comming from when someone shows up to a memorial in a dirty, jacked up set of utilities...
Old 01-02-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

what's the Reg say about uniform wear at funerals?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Teching In

I think this is what we all REALLY feel about it:
http://terminallance.com/2010/07/02/...-soldier-envy/

All kidding aside; this is about some kid who, HAVING GIVEN THE CHOICE, could have worn something appropriate to a military funeral, but didn't. He deserved to get taken aside and get his *** chewed for it.
What do you wear instead of a service/dress uniform if it's fucked up? A suit. Tucked in shirt 'n tie at the very least. It costs less than 50 bucks to rent a suit, which shouldn't have been an issue for the guy. A working uniform is just that: a working uniform...equivalent to a guy driving from his job at a car shop in his coveralls to a funeral, even if they were his nicest set, when he had a suit 10 minutes away.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

is it appropriate to chew the kid out in front of the entire church or do the respectful thing, pull him aside later and discuses his choice of uniform?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hawk584
is it appropriate to chew the kid out in front of the entire church or do the respectful thing, pull him aside later and discuses his choice of uniform?
There's an old saying that I go by, which is "Praise in Public, Punish in Private." Talking to/correcting someone isn't meant for everyone to see. Punishments aren't made public unless it's to set an example (which normally doesn't work anyways). And at a critical public event such as a funeral (you only get one), if I saw some guy scream at another as the funeral commenced, I probably wouldn't be the only one to walk/run over to said screamer and said "STFU, this is a funeral."
That being said, if someone's so f'ed up that s/he needs to be corrected, take them aside.

Quick Reply: uniform rant