Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Meeting with a recruiter

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of work is it? Is it more mechanical or electrical? How was AIT? What's a normal day like?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bamalt1
I'm meeting with an Army recruiter on Monday. I'm going to try to get something with IT or possibly an MP if there are any positions available. I took the ASVAB a few years ago and made a 74 but I should do better now after taking a few more math classes.My uncle is an E-6 so I have a basic understanding of most things. Anybody have any specific questions I should ask? I'm 23,married with a kid on the way, and will be an E-3 going in with my college credits. I already know to get any promises written in the contract or it's not valid. I'm looking to make it a career not just a 4 year thing. Thanks for any advice.
Go talk to all Branches.......then go see the Marines last.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had looked at the Air Force first but the wait for basic for them is way longer than the Army.
there is a very good reason for that.

the Air Force treats it people WAY better. i say this because of family and friends i have. i am the only one in the AF, and a couple are in the Navy, about 4 in the Marines, and a whole lot in the Army. all in the Marines and Navy like it, but say the Air Force treats their people better and have a lot nicer. But a lot of the people i have talked to in the Army said they wished they would have joined a different branch. biggest reasons, 12 to 18 month deployments and they had their MOS changed without them knowing it happened.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
there is a very good reason for that.

the Air Force treats it people WAY better. i say this because of family and friends i have. i am the only one in the AF, and a couple are in the Navy, about 4 in the Marines, and a whole lot in the Army. all in the Marines and Navy like it, but say the Air Force treats their people better and have a lot nicer. But a lot of the people i have talked to in the Army said they wished they would have joined a different branch. biggest reasons, 12 to 18 month deployments and they had their MOS changed without them knowing it happened.
X2
You say you have a kid on the way, so AF IT/tech jobs would likely afford you the most time at home to enjoy your family, the military can be really hard on a family. Especially for a new Mother, she just had a baby and now she has to move away from family/friends/etc...
I'm in the AF, I love it, my job however is kinda boring... 2W2X1...
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am a 1W0X1...weather, haha.

and a shop member wife is having a baby, so my shop has worked with him. they let him block off this entire month for leave, and he will start it when ever the baby pops out and take his leave from there. so he is own "admin" shifts until then, and then he will be on leave for 2 weeks, plus the 10 days of "paternity leave.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UAV work is cake. The 15E job is probably equal 50/50 elec/mech.... It is a brand new MOS, so I didnt go to the AIT. I was a 15J first, then went to a second, 3 month school (I have a total of 1 yr in schooling now). typical day deployed is to come on shift, receive briefings, preflight and launch an airplane (1 Hr), land and service airplane (1-2hr), chill for a few hrs and do the launch/land cycle again.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FrankSS
typical day deployed is to come on shift, receive briefings, preflight and launch an airplane (1 Hr), land and service airplane (1-2hr), chill for a few hrs and do the launch/land cycle again.
Thats a typical day for a crew chief on day shift in the air force. Well fighter world at least. Easy job, good money. Im in the AZ ANG now, but I miss active duty.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

i just recently went AF Reserve, walked into the recruiter nov 8th, had to go to meps to take the asvab and all the other ****, picked 3p031 (catm) and goin to basic feb 28th, and i could have picked an earlier date but didnt for school reasons, anyways you can go full time in the reserves whenever you want, as long as there is a position open, might be good for a family as well..and shorter deployments 4 months currently..
Old 12-05-2010, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

well you going tomorrow or what?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep still going. I've been looking at a lot of jobs in 15 and 89 class where AIT would be about an hour from my house at Redstone Arsenal.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you pick a job because the school is close to your house..you're picking the job for the wrong reason.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's not why I was looking at them lol. I just noticed it when I was checking them out.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

i say marine corps. i'm towards the end of my 2 month work up, and i'll be in country for 210 days. versus the army's year long deployments. and it doesn't matter what MOS you choose in the usmc, everybody has to deal with the same ****(good and bad). my admin guys are always in the field right next to me...along with the cooks, intel, mp's, nbc, armorers, supply etc etc. i'm motor-t and i get to interact with literally everybody. and i can honestly say that your MOS doesn't really matter. grunts hump a lot and play a lot of stupid games. but they don't have to deal with office b.s. POG's have it a little easier physically, but it's a trade off in actual work load.

as far as family goes, your wife is a grown woman. the military will make sure she has what she needs while you're away. a good number of guys in my unit are going to miss the birth of their kids while in country. but that's the way **** goes in any branch. you just deal with it.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Good luck with your recruiter. Whatever job you choose, think about what job you can use when you get out/retire. I'm at 13 yrs in the Marine Corps and love it. But, if I were to guide someone on what service to join, who has a family and little ones on the way, I would say go Air Force. They take care of their Airmen. You get paid the same, and life is cush.

I'm not going to bash any of the Services. They all have a purpose.

Oh yeah....I have a month and a half left out of a year long tour in AFG. So Marines stay for a year or more in the desert too.

Last edited by 1BDHWK; 12-06-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Air Force here and I can tell you the wait is worth it. My Dad was Army and I can't tell you the number of Christmas's and Birthdays he missed....when I told him I wanted to go in the military he refused to let me go in the Army. He always said "go Air Force, go Air Force" so I did. I've been in nearly 10 years, Haven't deployed once and the times I did leave it was for a few days here and there to make some extra cash and get tax free. DO YOUR FAMILY A FAVOR AND GO AIR FORCE. I have several friends in IT....they love it.

EDIT: did I mention that the vast majority of Air Force Deployments are 4 months even it you did deploy? See above post for comparison. ^^
Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

ya dont choose a job because the school is close to home... do it based on whatever will keep your interest for at least a few years to come
Old 12-06-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took the EST test today and the recruiter was raving about how good my score was. He said I'll score high enough to get into Flight School. I'm not going to get too excited about it until it's signed. I take the ASVAB tomorrow morning. I have to fill out the Security questionnaire and come up with a list of jobs.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

what was your EST score?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

78. It doesn't show the line scores though.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Yep still going. I've been looking at a lot of jobs in 15 and 89 class where AIT would be about an hour from my house at Redstone Arsenal.
if you go 89, go 89D.

you'll get to hang out at redstone for a bit and then party in florida for 7 months.

Quick Reply: Meeting with a recruiter