Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Gauging Interest: Tampa Bay/St.Petersburg Area VETERANS F-Body Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauging Interest: Tampa Bay/St.Petersburg Area VETERANS F-Body Club

Hello all and thanks for checking in. I posted this in the Florida Regional Forum, but figured I may get some responses here.

This may be a long thread, but it could be worth reading if you are are a Tampa Bay/St.Petersburg Area Veteran.

I have been playing around with the idea for a Veterans F-Body Club for the Tampa Bay and St. Petersburg area; LS and LT cars like Vettes and GTOs included.

It is no secret that many Veterans get out of the service and find certain parts of their transition difficult. Some of us have been out for a long time and others have seperated recently. The majority of us blend right back into society and manage to lead fulfilling lives; we get jobs, go to school, raise kids etc. Making new friends on the other hand can be hard sometimes. We created strongs bonds while in the service; but when we seperate, those close friendships can often loose touch. The majority of civilians support us and our service, but can't really relate for abvious reasons.

Car clubs are created to bring like minded people together. Veterans Organizations such as VFW Posts serve the same purpose. I figured that combining the two would create a solid group of people with plenty to talk about. A veterans car club could have weekend or bi-weekend get togethers and cruises, gather for weekend projects to help fellow club members fix or mod their cars, and gather for plenty of other functions.

Below I have posted some initial ideas and "stipulations" that would help create such a club:

What we can do for each other:

I see it all too often; young veterans get out of the service and have no idea what is available to them, locally and nationally. Its not their fault, a lot of information is often scattered and hard to find. I had a rough time getting my initial paper work started for school; which was during the "Post 9/11 G.I Bill transition." I had little "first hand" help and had to basically figure it out for myself by making tons of phone calls and sending just as many e-mails. Fellow veterans can exchange such valuable information and help each other out.

Club Stipulations:
  • Club Members can be both ACTIVE and FORMER Service Members of any U.S Military branch including Guard and Reserves, be of any Rank/Grade, any MOS (Job Classification), and be of any age, race, gender, or religion.

• Ideally, this would be an LS/LT based club for F-Bodies, GTOs, and Corvettes. However, making it a Domestic Hot Rod and Sports Car Club is not out of the question (Ford, Mopar, etc.).

• A club like this would focus on creating new friendships, supporting each other no matter if its life or car related, and supporting our community. Just because we are out doesn't mean we can't continue to do some good...right?

• For the most part, the military tries to focus on family. A club like this would most definitely promote and intergrate families into club functions.

• I am not looking at creating club dues or fees at this time. Small funding can be discussed later If the club actually takes off and we gather for functions like picknicks, charities, or volunteer events.

Event Ideas:

• Weekend or Bi-Weekend get togethers, cruises etc.

• Monthly Family Picknicks. Find a park, gille some food, talk, throw a football, etc.

• Veterans Day, Memorial Day hangouts. I spent the last two by myself watching tv lol.

• Charity events such as Car Washes, clothing drives, etc. to benefit local Veteran Organizations.

• Weekend project get togethers to mod or fix cars, have a beer and shoot the breeze.

• The club could even meet, and show their respects as a group, to Military Casualty Funeral Motorcades. As sad as it may be, it is part of our job and showing our respects to a fallen service member is a no-brainer.

• There are many other ideas and I'm sure you guys have some of your own, which are more than welcome.

What we wouldn't promote or stand for:
  • Some of these are really obvious, but they need to be listed anyway.

• We would NOT promote, support, or stand for racially motivated hate crimes and violence.

• We would not support drugs, drinking and driving, or any other illegal activities.

• As fun as it may be to some, Street Racing would not be promoted by such a club. Racing on the track is obviously a GO.

• No one would want to see a VETERANS car club promoting, supporting, or being linked to anything like this.

Club Representation:

It may be a bit premature, but I have already thought of a logo idea for club representation such as on t-shirts and stickers/badges. The listing of the Branches was done alphabetically to avoid any bias lol.

SO. If this is something you are interested in, then please check in and reply. I know that this is a lot, but I am really just looking to start a non B.S group of gearheads who are also Veterans. I dont care if only 5 local members reply...it will be a start with potential to grow.

List your branch, status (active, veteran etc.), local area that you reside in, your ride, and any thoughts on this idea you may have.

I'LL START IT OFF:

Army, Infantry, Inactive Veteran (served from 04-07), Deployed from 05-06. Reside in South Tampa. Drive a black 1997 SS. My thoughts..lol..well you just spent a half an hour reading them..which is MUCH appreciated!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR READING AND LETS SEE WHERE THIS GOES