Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Shipping to military P.O Box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shipping to military P.O Box?

Possibly a dumb question but I'm getting ready to order some parts and have a P.O Box at the post office here on post. It asks me to select my state or AA-Military APO/FPO? Anyone know which to choose? Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you stationed overseas? Basically, APO/FPO is a made up city, and AE/AP are "states", armed forces Europe, and Armed Forces Pacific. They're a way of getting mail to the troops overseas for the cost of shipping to the processing center for that region. Basically if you're anywhere in the Pacific (AP), people pay postage to San Fran, and the Military postal system picks it up from there. Anything AE would go through NY, and AA is FL.

If you're stateside with a PO on base, its usually the base as the city, then state as normal with whatever Zip code they gave you when you got there.

On a side note about shipping overseas to an APO, make sure your family or friends never put the physical country you're under or near the address. We'd get people putting "Japan" under addresses when I was in Tokyo, and it would add a month or so to get the package to the person. Basically, the machines or sorters in the states would see Japan, and send it to the international mail section to Japan, who would then send it back, get mis-routed, and end up back in San Fran only to finally get on a plane to APO AP.

The below link has more info. The company is also an option for those companies that will only send via UPS or FedEX. They get the mail for you at their center, and put it in the USPS system to the APO Address you provide. This is for a small fee of course, but it helped me out a lot overseas when I needed car parts.
http://www.shipitapo.com/personal/apo_fpo_guide.php

Quick Reply: Shipping to military P.O Box?