Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Military Members, I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the info. That is what I'm worried about with trying To go aviation, if I went that route I would want to make sure it was gauranteed. Also as far as the AF goes, I have calls in to 4 different recruiters and I log into the live chat to speak with a different person everyday. I'm hoping by doing this I can take everything that try all say and find the truth in it somewhere. As far as finishing my education, would it be better to keep racking up student loans or to join and wait a few years and have it all paid for?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

If you get into WOCS, then it is guaranteed as long as you study, study, and don't **** up. WO FTW. In the Guard you have the privilege of still being a civilian. No other branch can offer that, no matter how civilianized the Air Force is, lol.

And so it's known, I'm a grunt in the Army. Active duty, with a decent amount of friends that are pilots. Like the guy (that I'm assuming is a Chief) was saying, talk to some pilots, and try to talk to some SERE instructors. The pay and experience along as a pilot FAR outweighs joining the Air Force, lol.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

How often would I be flying as a WC though? I just don't want to get in a situation where I would only be flying a couple times a month. I would much rather have a full time job or at least near full time.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something else to consider if you wish to go pilot but want the GI Bill to pay for the rest of schooling is to go in under an air crew MOS. These are the enlisted guys that often man the on board weapon systems like the 240g machine gun or the mk-19 grenade launcher and maintain the crew/cargo areas on helo's. This will not only get you in the air but will also get you a lot of time with the Officers which will help a lot for getting the rest of your education finished and getting into an officer candidate school.

It is never a bad thing being on friendly terms with a group of Officers. It can go a LONG way in helping you out.

Just a thought if you decide to go the enlisted route.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Right now I am leaning more roasted the enlisted route because I would be able to choose what I want to do. Also if I decide to go AF officer later on down the road it is much more likely ill be given a shot at OTS if I am enlisted rather than a civilian. Now I just need to decide what MOS I would like beside SERE. I will check into the air crew. Are there any other MOS your would recommend?
Old 07-24-2011, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

That was supposed to say "towards" the enlisted route. Stupid iPhone and it's autocorrect.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Man,there's a world of difference between AF SERE and flying. As an AF SERE, your pretty much in a support role. If your the outdoorsman type, then you'll probably love it. You spend most of your time teaching aircrew how to survive. You know, skin rabbits, eat bugs, cammo, building fires, evading,...,etc. But when your flying, your actually doing the mission. Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

What 99SSJarhead said about the enlisted crewmembers is correct, as a Flight Engineer(FE), Crewchief(CE), or even Door Gunner you will learn a lot about the acft and get a feel for flying. I know a lot of fellow crewmembers that easily transition to WO and flying, some even end up flying the acft they crewed on. As a FE/CE you start out as a mechanic for either a Blackhawk or Chinook helicopter, if you're worth a **** you will get picked up by one of the flight companies and start training as a CE. You're MOS never changes, you'll always be a mechanic, but you'll simply be an on board mechanic with additional in flight duties. In combat you'll also man a M240H light machine gun, that's where the fun starts. You will serve with some of the best pilots and soldiers out there. Also you'll be able to get letters of recommendation from senior pilots and this will help out a lot when it comes to getting picked for WOC/Flight school. But even as a mechanic you can still put your packet in and get picked up, just keep a clean record and you'll be in like flynn. IMO ex mechanics make great pilots especially if you wind up flying the acft you used to work on. The only problem is putting down the wrench, but I've always seen these type pilots excell more often than not, and it's always nice having an extra mechanic around. Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's something that you really like, nothing worse than being stuck in a job that you hate.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The M240 is a MEDIUM machine gun. The M249 SAW is light and the M2 and MK19s are considered heavy. I'd love to be a door gunner. I love machine guns and the thrill of combat! About the only Airforce job that interested me is being a cannoneer on the AC-130! I'm a Marine Cannoneer by trade so I'd fit right in. Damn recruiter told me I'd lose me E-5 guaranteed. **** that. I worked damn hard to get Sergeant in my 4 years, I'm not gonna give it up to do a job I've done before. I'm gonna be talking with a Guard recruiter tomorrow...about a CWO job they have open locally. ;-) I'll post when I know more...that's why I've been following this thread.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Swiat34;15191885]The M240 is a MEDIUM machine gun. The M249 SAW is light and the M2 and MK19s are considered heavy. QUOTE]

This is correct, not sure why I wrote light machine gun. For some reason I think they used to classify it as such. I started out as an 11B way back when and was both a SAW gunner and M240B Gun Team Leader, you would think I would know the difference. Gotta stay in the books to stay sharp. It sucks that they drop you a grade to reclass but realisticly it wouldn't take long to get it back. Especially if you were able to make SGT in 4 years. I gave up going to the promotion board so I could reclass becuase I was told the same by my retention NCO. But soon after AIT and reporting to my new unit I was right on track for promotion so in the end I didn't regret anything,(aside for not racking up the correspondence courses). Oh and any job on an AC130 would be kick ***!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I am going to take the ASVAB in a few hours and I'll let tall know how it goes web I get the scores tomorrow. Still trying to make a decision. Talked to another AF recruiter today and she also said that if I can pass the course ad all of the physicals, SERE is gauranteed. She also said that because it is considered special tactics they are always looking for people.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Be prepared to spend a LOT of time in the field with SERE. From your OP, wanting something family friendly I'd stick towards the airwing side of things.

If it is just you for the time being though and you decide to move away from the flight school idea, yeah go SERE, it's be a friggen blast if you can tough it.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know I would be away from
alot, but would it be much more different than being a pilot who flies 10-15 day missions once a month? I definitely want to keep family in mind, but at the same time my girl friend (over 4 years) is completely supportive of what I want to do.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28
I know I would be away from
alot, but would it be much more different than being a pilot who flies 10-15 day missions once a month?
Maybe 10-15 days a month while you are home in garrison conducting itraining flights. Of course you'll fly way more than that while deployed but it doesnt matter because you're not home anyways. SERE instructor sounds like a cool job too, and what you train soldiers for will most likely save thier life if they ever have to apply it.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

Wow, SERE is special tactics. News to me! Now TACP, Combat Controller, PJ, Combat Wx, EOD even; those are what I would consider special tactics, but thats definitely stepping it up a notch or two! Good Luck with your decision.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I am dine with the ASVAB, now just waiting on scores. Hopefully they'll be ready tomorrow morning. As of now, I am definitely leaning more towards the AF side. SERE just sounds like it would be a great job and something I could definitely have fun doing.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Got my scores in, I got a 90 on the ASVAB with a GT score of 124. The recruiter still has all of my line scores and I'm working today so i haven't had a chance to get them yet. Hopefully that will be good enough to get me into either branch.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

An asvab of 90 will get you into most anything so you should be good. Now you just have to decide between enlisting airwing eventually going officer/pilot or enlisting SERE and deciding to ride it out enlisted or not.

For long term, I'd suggest the airwing/officer route. You'll learn more skills that transfer into the real world job market for pretty lucrative careers, especially if you go in mechanic and OCS into pilot.

SERE was great to go through, but to have to do constant cycles of it with a new group of trainees, especially as a junior enlisted. I just don't know. It'd get old and tiring really fast. I've been a PFC/LCpl trying to get Staff NCO's and Officers to follow directions. It ain't always fun and can be down right grueling at times.

If possible I'd see if the AF recruiter can get you in touch with some SERE instructors before committing to that route.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just talked to the AF recruiter and they are actually doing a SERE training tomorrow. I'm going to go up there and watch them and ask some questions. Afterwards I'm going back to the recruiters office for a meeting about the more in depth info about the program. U could definitely see how it could possibly get old, but at the same time I think it could stay pretty fun since it would be with different people every couple of weeks.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to go...

I wish I had half your intelligence when I went in. I just walked into the recruiters office "I want to be a Marine!" Take this test, sign here, turn your head and cough, get on bus to Parris Island.

Keep this level of scrutiny when you get in and you'll be served very well in the long run.

Quick Reply: Military Members, I need advice