Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, hopefully it'll give me an edge over the other junior officers

I spoke with another recruiter, and they said the policy memos that tell them what they can and can't hire "prior service" soldiers for come out every couple of weeks, and to just keep calling back, unless I want to go 18x. So, that's the plan. If I keep waiting all the way til next year, then I'll try to set up to go to ROTC and go active that way.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Anybody have any suggestions or advice about going active duty in another branch of service?
Old 08-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Teching In

I'm happy with the AF.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

If you can wait until October 1st, you'll be good to go. That's when all the new numbers come out for recruiters.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Oh ok that'll be great. The orders I'm on right now may expire September 30 or may get extended, so we'll see...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Yea, they tend to sing a different tune at the start of the new fiscal year. Ask him if you'll have better luck come October 1st.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

I spoke with an Air Force recruiter over the phone. The prior service program opens up on October 1st, and he said he would gladly help me submit a packet next week so that it'll be in when the program becomes available. Significantly more friendly and helpful than the Army recruiters I spoke with were.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

If I go with the Air Force, how is technical training for prior service? I remember for Army AIT, the soldiers who were coming from another MOS had off-post housing, and could drive around. Are there any differences between how I'll be treated and how the kids fresh from basic are treated?
Also, I know the recruiter will probably answer this when I talk to him in a few days, but I'm impatient Will I retain my current pay grade (E-4) and will my TIS still count?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Your recruiter will fill you in on the rank. Prior service is treated as prior service, you won't be around the basic airmen except in training. The housing situation varies based on the tech school.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JeremyKrauss
I spoke with an Air Force recruiter over the phone. The prior service program opens up on October 1st, and he said he would gladly help me submit a packet next week so that it'll be in when the program becomes available. Significantly more friendly and helpful than the Army recruiters I spoke with were.
He can be as friendly as he wants, the Air Force only allowed 29 prior service guys in 2007, and that was back when they actually needed people, lol. You have to make yourself pretty appealing to get picked up for that. Keep in mind, no recruiter get's "points" for you, since you're prior service. Hence the reason they don't spend a lot of time with you and you have to do the leg work to get switched over.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can get it, 15W or E would pay very well and be in high demand in the civilian world. I'm down at Huachuca now going through the Whiskey course. The MOS-T or MOS-Q which ever you want to call them, live in a separate barracks if they're single or off-post if you're married. You can drive and have all the privileges IET soldiers work their *** off for lol. From what the Echoes have said, they're course is pretty easy.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

i'd love to, but i'm waiting for the end of the fiscal year...they won't take me unless i do special forces right now...

Quick Reply: Need advice