Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marine Corps or Air Force

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt want to have to post this but you asked...

We have an Army...we have an Air Force...and we have a Navy. Why the f*ck do we need the Marine Corps? Long answer short, we do it all better with fewer bodies and a much smaller budget. Our government, in an effort to cut spending, has had numerous opportunities over the past 200+yrs to axe the Corps and time and time again they refused.

But, again, unless you have earned the title and spent time in boots stamped with our EGA, you'll never understand
Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air Force in my opinion. I've been in for 9 years now. I intially wanted to go into the Marines because my dad served 4 years in the Corps. I started looking at the Air Force its way of life and the jobs afforded ect.. and I made the decision to go blue.

Any time you do in any service is good to go in my book. It think everyone who is phisically/mentally able should do at least 2 years of military service.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VinR1
We have an Army...we have an Air Force...and we have a Navy. Why the f*ck do we need the Marine Corps? Long answer short, we do it all better with fewer bodies and a much smaller budget.

But, again, unless you have earned the title and spent time in boots stamped with our EGA, you'll never understand
So, you are telling me that the smallest branch of the military (except for the coast guard), with the least amount of funding, does a BETTER job of everything from land, sea and air than the other branches who specialize in those fields? With that logic, there would be no need for any other branch, since the marines can do everything by themselves. I am not trying to start a fight, just trying to figure out the marines side of the coin when they claim to be superior to everyone.

You are right, I probably will never understand the whole, "earning the title of a marine". IMO, I would rather be called a different title.

I just think that other branches of the military have a lot more to offer you long term than the marine corps.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bjorn20
You are right, I probably will never understand the whole, "earning the title of a marine". IMO, I would rather be called a different title.
what title would that be?

Originally Posted by Bjorn20
I just think that other branches of the military have a lot more to offer you long term than the marine corps.
care to elaborate?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

You have to go with what youll be happy with. Deep down you know what you want to do. 8 Years in the Marine Corps and I havent looked back once. Jay

Last edited by 96modgt; 02-03-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

If you are worried about being treated well then just go for the Air force.

No one in the Marine Corps wants to hear your whining and bitching about being treated well.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MynameisLee
If you are worried about being treated well then just go for the Air force.

No one in the Marine Corps wants to hear your whining and bitching about being treated well.
I approve this message
Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

The air wing in the Marine Corps is pretty good and the training and opportunities to become a good mechanic IMO is in fact better than the equivalent in the Air Force.

I recommend Marine Corp Helos if you want to train for a career if you are not staying in.

If long term is your goal..Air Force all the way....no question. Quality of life in the Air Force is MUCH MUCH MUCH better over the long haul.

That is one of the reasons I got out of the Marines after 6 years. Quality of life just isnt there. Its great when you are young...but as you get a bit older it gets more annoying.

But only you know the reasons you are going in. Those reasons could be many. So keep asking questions and then decide. And do not let peer pressure affect that decision. Also...do not sign for longer than 4. You will have plenty of time to re-up later if you want to.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
The air wing in the Marine Corps is pretty good and the training and opportunities to become a good mechanic IMO is in fact better than the equivalent in the Air Force.

I recommend Marine Corp Helos if you want to train for a career if you are not staying in.

If long term is your goal..Air Force all the way....no question. Quality of life in the Air Force is MUCH MUCH MUCH better over the long haul.

That is one of the reasons I got out of the Marines after 6 years. Quality of life just isnt there. Its great when you are young...but as you get a bit older it gets more annoying.

But only you know the reasons you are going in. Those reasons could be many. So keep asking questions and then decide. And do not let peer pressure affect that decision. Also...do not sign for longer than 4. You will have plenty of time to re-up later if you want to.

This 100%. I still work on my helicopters now and I love it.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hate we people try to hype up the marine corp... It's really annoying and it seems to come from guys been in less then 2 years, re-enlisters,desk jockeys, or wing side guys. Generally people that haven't done much or done anything and those who know nothing but what the marine corp have taught them. Wing side is about as close as the air force as it comes in the marines. We kind of consider them as civilians. My job I had the opportunity to work with "wingers" but mainly been ground side. Funny thing about that is when the wingers re up the marine corps might send them to ground side and then they hate life and want to get out but that depends on your job if your even given an opportunity. People there are more and better things then the "marines" I see it how it is and call it. I agree with 383LQSS. Quality of life in the air force is far better then the marines. These are funny and in most case's are very true... I highly recommend anyone thinking of join the marines go through this guys comic scrips http://terminallance.com/
Old 02-08-2012, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Who are you with again?? What is your MOS? Are you a terminal Lcpl...?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...and guys that talk like him usually have f*cked up and instead of blaming the guy in the mirror, its the Corps' fault
Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Imstock2
I hate we people try to hype up the marine corp... It's really annoying and it seems to come from guys been in less then 2 years, re-enlisters,desk jockeys, or wing side guys. Generally people that haven't done much or done anything and those who know nothing but what the marine corp have taught them. Wing side is about as close as the air force as it comes in the marines. We kind of consider them as civilians. My job I had the opportunity to work with "wingers" but mainly been ground side. Funny thing about that is when the wingers re up the marine corps might send them to ground side and then they hate life and want to get out but that depends on your job if your even given an opportunity. People there are more and better things then the "marines" I see it how it is and call it. I agree with 383LQSS. Quality of life in the air force is far better then the marines. These are funny and in most case's are very true... I highly recommend anyone thinking of join the marines go through this guys comic scrips http://terminallance.com/
^^^This post doesn't make any sense at all. It is like a streaming thought with no actual point or unified message to convey. It leads you down a dead end path of immeasurable stupidity. What a jackass.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MynameisLee
^^^This post doesn't make any sense at all. It is like a streaming thought with no actual point or unified message to convey. It leads you down a dead end path of immeasurable stupidity. What a jackass.
Eh it does make sense if you've been around the Marine Corps. Between MARDIV, MLG and the MAW, life differs completely. Wingers are about as pog as you get, they dont even get issues rifles, work long hours and often weekends. Group Marines tend to have a shitty job of supporting literally eveyone, being whored out and treated like ****. MARDIV, being the combat arms of Marine Corps get the brunt of the bullshit and have pretty much no standards to quality of life. Compare the Marine Corps to the other services, ask them about the barracks, work days, treatment, food, time off, freedoms, and certs. Although I used only 3 sides of the Marine Corps, there are more than just those. . . Ask around among first term Marines past their 3 year mark.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Can't go wrong with any service as long as your there to serve and put your life on the line if asked. I also agree that if you have to think about being a Marine, your might not get it and probably should look elsewhere. Most Marines I know always wanted to be a Marine, regardless of the job. It was all about being a Marine. I tell Air Force folks the same thing when they asked about our Battlefield Airmen, "if you gotta think about it, dont do it" You have to want it to succeed.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That kid has a horrible taste in his mouth of the Marine Corps...

The military is what you make of it but here is what I say after 10 years in the corps and I have done interservice work for a solid 3 of those years. Each branch has pros/cons

USMC my favorites
1) No other service truely cares and takes care of its people. As a Marine leader I want all my guys/gals to get promoted and be successful. A lot of other services it is very cutthroat. If you think the Corps is bad you havn't seen the Navy play super favorites on evals.
[I think Imstock2 has had some bad leadership at one point or antother and therefore left a horrible taste in his mouth]
2) You cannot explain to anyone about the corps they need to go to bootcamp and feel it for themselves
3) Discipline you learn is going to pay dividends in whatever job(s) you do in the future.
4) Promotions to Sgt(e5) can be super fast or slow depending on your own efforts. If you are physically fit and shoot well you will progress very fast (Some people hate this especially in the more technical jobs, but that is where leadership comes in and should reward Marines for becoming effiecient in there MOSs faster than there peers)

USMC not so favorites
1) Barracks life sucks, but it is slowly getting better. The ones who complain now would have ended themselves 10-15 years ago
2) Mass punishment 1 Marines fuckup is all Marines get fucked policy <--- all branches have it and it does not fix anything. I know the higher I get on the enlisted side I do my part to end this practice.
3) Promotions are not always going to be the best Marine for the job policy sometimes turds make it into the pool.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Imstock2
Eh it does make sense if you've been around the Marine Corps. Between MARDIV, MLG and the MAW, life differs completely. Wingers are about as pog as you get, they dont even get issues rifles, work long hours and often weekends. Group Marines tend to have a shitty job of supporting literally eveyone, being whored out and treated like ****. MARDIV, being the combat arms of Marine Corps get the brunt of the bullshit and have pretty much no standards to quality of life. Compare the Marine Corps to the other services, ask them about the barracks, work days, treatment, food, time off, freedoms, and certs. Although I used only 3 sides of the Marine Corps, there are more than just those. . . Ask around among first term Marines past their 3 year mark.
Are you serious? I have never seen Marines not get issued rifles... Granted I don't shoot mine as much as when I served on the ground but the work still has its pros and cons... As far as working long hours and weekends? I challenge you to find a Marine Corps squadron that hasn't put in its time working ungodly hours, weekends, holidays etc.... Last I checked and its been about 6 years but when field work was over and the squads quals were up there was a good amount of down time if our unit wasn't tasked with anything we got our 72s and 96s etc...If you wanted quality of life and good working hours you should not enlist in any branch just go to college or keep sucking your parents dry...
Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by got milk??
Are you serious? I have never seen Marines not get issued rifles... Granted I don't shoot mine as much as when I served on the ground but the work still has its pros and cons... As far as working long hours and weekends? I challenge you to find a Marine Corps squadron that hasn't put in its time working ungodly hours, weekends, holidays etc.... Last I checked and its been about 6 years but when field work was over and the squads quals were up there was a good amount of down time if our unit wasn't tasked with anything we got our 72s and 96s etc...If you wanted quality of life and good working hours you should not enlist in any branch just go to college or keep sucking your parents dry...

Then obviously your a boot. Since I've been a CMC I have dealt with every unit qualifying on Lejeune. Mag 26/29 have both said the same thing. Their armory has weapons, but they are not issued to their Marines. They are only handed out for the range, and deployments(winger combat load is about 1 to 3 mags). As for down time, there is none on the wing side - they are tasked constantly, and every so many flight hours calls for a certain level of maintenance. Ground side works differently, though I have noticed with the exception of(off the top of my head) about 3 SNCOs, they dont give a **** about anyone but themselves. I have been around, a part of 3 different BTNs, along with working with several more over deployments. They are pretty much all the same, 1/6, 3/2, 3/9, 2nd CEB, 2nd LAR are as of right now the only non-special warfare units that I have any respect for based on general care for their Marines.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

And here goes a pissing match between military branches.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

I am in the Air Force. I like it but as others have said, all branches have their pro's and con's. Do what you really want to do!

I was thinking of joining the Marines, but my dad was in the Army, and told me to go AF. I scored pretty high on the asvab, and got a job that required my higher scores. I don't have to deal with retards all day, so that is pretty nice.

At times I wish I had gone Marines to be honest. But majority of the time, I look at where I am stationed and my living area, and am glad I didn't. I will have a TON of job opportunities and choices if I decide to get out. Can't complain about that at all.

The Air Force is really big on Education, so they are always encouraging us to take classes or clep tests. All depends what you want. I will have my Associates by the time I get out easily.

Quick Reply: Marine Corps or Air Force