Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

MEPS messed up my Contract... Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: I haven't been in here in forever. I DEP discharged and decided to finish my degree for now. MEPS tried to tell me my only option was to go in open general which I did not want to do. I've Re enrolled in school and have about a year left to finish my degree. My degree is finance, so I doubt I'll be able to commission in the AF, but who knows. The only downside about finishing my degree is that I am too at along in school to do ROTC.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

smart choice, if your looking for a commission you might look into other branches besides air force. If you only qualified open general finishing your degree will not change that. IMO check out other branches or go for OTS/OCS. As long as you have no legal issues, and you don't default on anything credit wise and can get a clearance you should be good to go. their are other requirements as well. I take it you scored decently well on the ASVAB?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I qualified for a lot of jobs, even those that require H1 hearing. MEPS basically refused to accept my civilian scores and would not let me retest. They said the only way I could leave was with an open contract. I know the AF won't give me a commission with a business degree, but maybe another branch will. As far as ASVAB goes, I made a 90.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28
I qualified for a lot of jobs, even those that require H1 hearing. MEPS basically refused to accept my civilian scores and would not let me retest. They said the only way I could leave was with an open contract. I know the AF won't give me a commission with a business degree, but maybe another branch will. As far as ASVAB goes, I made a 90.
if your QT score was a 90 you definitely qualify for a lot of jobs, unfortunately MEPCOM is used for all the branches so if they will not accept the civilian hearing test then your PULHES profile stays the same. So now it's up to you to figure out which branch has the options your looking for given that set of circumstances. The Army and Navy are most likely your best bet, maybe even the Marines for commissioning. For enlisted look to the Army or Navy especially if your looking for a guaranteed MOS based on your personal qualifications. Former recruiter.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I figured that. If I decide to try again, it'll most likely be army or navy. I'm kind of figuring the Army would be the best for commissioning.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I don't understand, why would you want to be a loadmaster and have a finance/business degree? You can still apply for OTS with a business type degree... I don't know who is telling you not to, your enlisted recruiter? Don't listen to him. Go talk to an officer recruiter, find out what you need to make the best OTS package you can and do it.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

No degree yet. I have about a year and a half left before I graduate.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Seriously, don't make the mistake I did of enlisting with a degree. There are tons of benefits to being an officer besides making more money. I hate it when I get looked down at by superiors, especially junior officers, because they assume I'm just a young high school graduate. Talk to an officer recruiter. Find out what they're looking for in a package to apply for OTS. Finish school, lead volunteer projects and apply. It'll be worth it.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckypants
Seriously, don't make the mistake I did of enlisting with a degree. There are tons of benefits to being an officer besides making more money. I hate it when I get looked down at by superiors, especially junior officers, because they assume I'm just a young high school graduate. Talk to an officer recruiter. Find out what they're looking for in a package to apply for OTS. Finish school, lead volunteer projects and apply. It'll be worth it.
Please tell me, what benefits do Officer have that you lack?

FWIW, the USAF no longer has seperate recruiters for Officer and Enlisted.

If you have been in for any length of time, you will see BOTH officers and enlisted who look down on their subordinates. You will see it at all ranks. If you ask me, its people with your mentality who end up doing so. They feel since they were treated poorly, they can treat others poorly. You have the wrong attitude. The Officer core is not about a degree as you know many enlisted people have them as well. Also ask around, many enlisted personnel with degrees HAVE applied for OTS and were NOT selected. Being an officer is a leadership/supervison role not a "degree" role that is an automatic qualifier. The poor officers usually don't last long.

If you ask me they both have their pros and cons. From experience, being enlisted is alot more rewarding and satisfying than being an officer.

1. Officers do not have the comraderie or friends that enlisted do
2. Officer do not collect "clothing allowance"
3. Recieve less BAS
4. Assignment preferences are more dictated by USAF needs rather than personal.
5. Officer typically work more hours
6. Take the responsibility for your subordinates actions with no fault of your own.

Take another look at it.

Being an Officer you do make more money, but from being on both sides of the fence, thats about the only benefit worth mentioning. Its a huge responsibilty.

Last edited by badazz81z28; 04-22-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is your degree going to be in?

Because depending on your major, the AF will not let you in as an O. I have a few friends that came in with full 4 year degrees, but are Es right now. Because the AF would not accpect there major. And even though they have tried to go O now that the have been an E for years, big AF say no. Its pretty difficult right now to cross from E to O.

If you are in a science field and will be getting a BS, you will stand a WAY better chance of getting in as an O. But also remember, the AF is going through major force shaping of the next several years, and the first people they start to cut are the Lt. I have seen several people get denied reenlistment. For the enlisted side, normally it depends on your job for that, or if you have fucked up and have a paper trail in your PIF. For the Os, they just had you a piece of paper and just tell you bye bye. Since I have been in, coming up on 8 years, I have seen the Officer force shaping happen 3 times. It is easier to justifiy kick out and O1 or O2. They will basically do the same job as an Juniour NCO, but they make almost double the pay. So, when the look to cut the fat they cut them.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
What is your degree going to be in?

Because depending on your major, the AF will not let you in as an O. I have a few friends that came in with full 4 year degrees, but are Es right now. Because the AF would not accpect there major. And even though they have tried to go O now that the have been an E for years, big AF say no. Its pretty difficult right now to cross from E to O.

If you are in a science field and will be getting a BS, you will stand a WAY better chance of getting in as an O. But also remember, the AF is going through major force shaping of the next several years, and the first people they start to cut are the Lt. I have seen several people get denied reenlistment. For the enlisted side, normally it depends on your job for that, or if you have fucked up and have a paper trail in your PIF. For the Os, they just had you a piece of paper and just tell you bye bye. Since I have been in, coming up on 8 years, I have seen the Officer force shaping happen 3 times. It is easier to justifiy kick out and O1 or O2. They will basically do the same job as an Juniour NCO, but they make almost double the pay. So, when the look to cut the fat they cut them.
Ahh, that is so far from the truth.

1. The AF doesn’t care what your degree is in. For a rated or non rated job it must be accredited that’s it. For jobs such as engineering, doctor, JAG (None-line) etc obviously you must have the applicable degree.
2. The AF has not force shaped any Lts out that I know of in the 13 years I have be around. They board heavy commissioning year groups. That falls into the Capt arena which was the case the last few years. Again they select very few to let go as many volunteer to leave. The guys that get the boot are not super stars. You can guarantee they have a derogatory mark on their record (Poor performance, PT failures, and Article 15s ).Yes it's true, young officers get DUIs, Sleep with others spouses, don't pay their bills, dis-obey superiors (Just like young airmen). They get paper work too...Despite most enlisted do not believe so.
3. Lt-Capt’s perform SNCO roles, not junior NCO FYSA.

Don't let your buddies fool you. Yes going to O from E is competitive. The AF can be picky and they are. If your enlisted background is anything but phenomenal your chances are low. Like I mentioned before being an Officer is a higher standard. If you have markdowns on your EPRs, substandard PT scores, an average GPA expect to keep your stripes.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Ahh, that is so far from the truth.

1. The AF doesn’t care what your degree is in. For a rated or non rated job it must be accredited that’s it. For jobs such as engineering, doctor, JAG (None-line) etc obviously you must have the applicable degree.
2. The AF has not force shaped any Lts out that I know of in the 13 years I have be around. They board heavy commissioning year groups. That falls into the Capt arena which was the case the last few years. Again they select very few to let go as many volunteer to leave. The guys that get the boot are not super stars. You can guarantee they have a derogatory mark on their record (Poor performance, PT failures, and Article 15s ).Yes it's true, young officers get DUIs, Sleep with others spouses, don't pay their bills, dis-obey superiors (Just like young airmen). They get paper work too...Despite most enlisted do not believe so.
3. Lt-Capt’s perform SNCO roles, not junior NCO FYSA.

Don't let your buddies fool you. Yes going to O from E is competitive. The AF can be picky and they are. If your enlisted background is anything but phenomenal your chances are low. Like I mentioned before being an Officer is a higher standard. If you have markdowns on your EPRs, substandard PT scores, an average GPA expect to keep your stripes.
1. Yes it does matter if you are coming in off the streets. If you went AFA or ROTC, then no it does not matter. But just Joe Average with a English degree is not going to come in and do my job or be a Pilot. It is possible to be accepted into OTS with a non science degree, but it is EXTREMELY unlikely.

2. The AF was force shape LTs whan I came in. Hence why I saw 9 2nd LTs get sperated at 1 year in. They did it again in 2007, and again, I saw and heard of dozens of 1st and 2nd LTs getting sperated. And they (the AF) are going through a force shaping again. For us Es, that why they have the DOS roll back, reduction of the HYT, and more admin discharges. For the Os, accoring to my Flight CC and Assistant Flight CC, they are looking at sperating out non flyer Os.

3. I neve said Capt...They do preform at the level of a SNCO. But I have never once seen a 2nd Lt have the same responibilities as an SNCO. When you get down and compare O to E, my 2nd Lts are doing the same thing as a NCO. And in the case of my career field, they are doing what most A1Cs are doing. Apart from the Lt can rate on people, that is the only difference. Once the Butterbar becomes Silver, then the increase the responibility. The Lt here at in my flight is the WWO/Asst Flight CC, which his duties are identical to each of the Section NCOICs, but TSgt.

E to O is competive, and there is only one way for my AFSC to do it. Have a Science degree in Earth, Atmosphere, Space, etc. Science. If you do not have that, then you will not become an O in this careeer field. And just like any other, the better your degree is the more likely you will be accpected. Assuming all other items are close. BS in Biology with a 4.0 looks better the a BA in English with a 4.0 to the board. And if you don't believe that, then you are dense.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

What is your job? I find it very hard to believe an LT in your section is performing at the A1C/Junior NCO level.

I Can tell you from experience, someone with a English degree sure can become a pilot because there are. I have even seen history majors in the Pilot world.

I can tell you with certainty and I suggest you do some research on it. Your degree type does not make you ineligible. Only certain AFS require specific degrees (Mainly Non-line Officers).

Requirements for Civy and Enlisted are the same for OTS:

http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/BOT/botapply.asp

Looks like your comparing your specific AFSC with the entire AF.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 AM

Please tell me, what benefits do Officer have that you lack?

FWIW, the USAF no longer has seperate recruiters for Officer and Enlisted.

If you have been in for any length of time, you will see BOTH officers and enlisted who look down on their subordinates. You will see it at all ranks. If you ask me, its people with your mentality who end up doing so. They feel since they were treated poorly, they can treat others poorly. You have the wrong attitude. The Officer core is not about a degree as you know many enlisted people have them as well. Also ask around, many enlisted personnel with degrees HAVE applied for OTS and were NOT selected. Being an officer is a leadership/supervison role not a "degree" role that is an automatic qualifier. The poor officers usually don't last long.

If you ask me they both have their pros and cons. From experience, being enlisted is alot more rewarding and satisfying than being an officer.

1. Officers do not have the comraderie or friends that enlisted do
2. Officer do not collect "clothing allowance"
3. Recieve less BAS
4. Assignment preferences are more dictated by USAF needs rather than personal.
5. Officer typically work more hours
6. Take the responsibility for your subordinates actions with no fault of your own.

Take another look at it.

Being an Officer you do make more money, but from being on both sides of the fence, thats about the only benefit worth mentioning. Its a huge responsibilty.

I agree with most of this except #5.. No way in hell officers work more than maintenance does.. They usually get a nice 7:30-3:30 schedule with an hour and a half for PT, a hour for lunch, and a lot of free time to update their facebook..

Maintenance gets to show up and work all day on the line. Sometimes you're allowed to go get food otherwise if you didn't bring it tough luck. Since you don't have time to do the mandated PT during the day, you get to have that hour and a half tacked on to your duty day to accomplish it. Other days you get to spend an extra three hours looking for a tool that someone doesn't even remember using.

Now if you're comparing an officer job to a job like personnel I would agree.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

lol...Probably AMC. I assure you a Maintenance Officer works at least 12hrs a day on average. I will not disagree, there are some people out there like that. They usually get force shaped
Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go army! But seriously both have their ups aand downs. You go officer and yeah you'll make a hell of alot more money to sit behind a desk or at a computer as opposed to being out in the field training most of the time but no clothing allowance and idk if youve chhecked the price for class A uniforms lately but theyy're f***ing outrageous. Benifits are the same though. If you want to be an officer at heart though my advice iss go in as enlisted and make it to at least an e-5 or an e-6 and then go to ocs. That way youll have more experience in what you should expect of your enlisted soldiers as an officer and you'll have earned the respect of the soldiers you'll be leading as oposed to just going straight into ocs becoming an officer and trying to lead soldiers. Yeah you have the rank but i can tell you from first hand the respect level is nigght and day. Food for thought man.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:57 PM

lol...probably amc. I assure you a maintenance officer works at least 12hrs a day on average. I will not disagree, there are some people out there like that. They usually get force shaped
acc/afisra.

Quick Reply: MEPS messed up my Contract... Advice