Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Possible erroneous discharge (honorable)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible erroneous discharge (honorable)

I was MEB'd for asthma in OCT 08. I had a rather interesting appointment at the VA this past tuesday. Was at a pulmonary appointment and was BSing with the doc and he said "Well based on these tests and what I see here, there's nothing wrong with you. They shouldn't have discharged you for this. It's very very mild and I could take you off your meds and you could be fine in 6 months."

I've been in such a depressed rut the past 3 years, this didn't help. I never really wanted to get out. I'm a smoker and I know that's not helping things, but if I have a shot at getting back in, I'd quit. Never wanted to quit smoking before, but this would be it.

Any ideas? Wondering if I can get ahold of a JAG and get their take on this. I mean, I'd be half way to retirement right now if i were still in.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Couldn't hurt to try calling everybody you can think of. Only thing is it's incredibly hard to get any MOS right now though.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

^ A friend said sue, but who?? And for what?? It's not like Transformers where you can just pick up a phone and dial a branch of the military.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only person I could think of you trying to sue would be the doc however I don't think you'll get far. You could maybe try calling a recruiter and explain your situation. In that case, your separation code would be the most important factor. Other than that, I'm no help I've only been in 11 months and that was IET lol.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
NKAWTG...N

Best bet is to go back to a recruiter. Or contact any Reserve/National Guard unit. You should be pretty attractive to them since they wont have to pay $$$$ to send you back to Basic, AIT, etc...

Only thing is, you ask two military doctors the same question and odds are you will get two completely different answers.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

^ THAT is what I was thinking.. But if I quit smoking my lung function would probably improve..... or stay the same.. Who knows, really. They could look at it and say "You were boarded for asthma and we can't enlist anyone with that.... period." I was still able to run in the middle of the pack. Fastest 1.5 mile for me was 10.14. Always passed my PT tests and I was a pavements and equipment engineer. The thing was that the MIL saw my tests and saw that I reacted to the control substance (saline) and they flipped out. I tried talking to a recruiter maybe a year after I got out and they weren't much help.. And I actually thought about RE-enlisting..

I just miss the structure and the fact that people are held ACCOUNTABLE for their actions. This civilian **** is a free-for-all and it's driving me insane. It sucks. Everything is so cut-throat and rules only seem to be for everyone else.. And I miss the comrade. Never met such well rounded quality people in my life. Most of what I have now is BECAUSE of the military and I've meet some life-long, very close friends in the process.
I had a great sense of pride in service and wanted to join the Honor Guard too (even after 6 years in, @ SSGT) but all I got was flack and "we already have two people in the shop in HG. Maybe next year." and after asking a couple times over a couple years I just gave up and lost my motivation for it because of the good-ole-boy system in that shop/squadron. I was a SSGT, would have had my 7 level to the DATE I got out, wanted to make MSgt, already re-enlisted, was running the Airfield maintenance shop, and was happy with my position because I studied and worked my *** off for it.. Only to have everything ripped away.

Anyway.. I don't want to get on a depressed rant again..

Last edited by bayer-z28; 02-14-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the guys above. Doesn't hurt to start making phone calls and asking people. Worst they'll say is no. I got out and got back in after being out for 2 years, a few years back. Everyone gave me the run around but in the end, you just have to get in touch with the right person that knows what he's talking about and knows the system. If your a Navy guy, shoot me a PM. I'm a detailer now so I deal with this stuff from guys getting back in alot.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Teching In

Quit smoking..
Go Guard or Reserve recruiter and see what happens...can't hurt to ask
Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep. You need to talk to a recruiter that will get you in touch with a "prior service" recuiter.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could you pass a PT test? Did your condition require any type of P3 profile?

Quick Reply: Possible erroneous discharge (honorable)