Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Armed Forces Weekend or Part-Time

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you dont have a criminal record it wont be hard for you to sign up, a good friend of mine works in recruiting command and says they are specifically going after fresh-outta-high school these days. In case you havent heard the Army is booting out around 80000+ soldiers. Reenlistment is now a PITA but recruitment has not slowed. You're best bet is to go to a recruiters office and get some information, you don't have to sign anything and you are not required to give them any information. Remember that. After you do that I recommend you go to another recruiter station,(preferably in another town), and get more information, reason being is because not every recruiter is 100% honest with you. It sounds shitty but thats the truth, you dont believe everything a used car salesman says do you? If you still want to sign up then no matter what your told about deployments, always be prepared to go, both mentally and financially.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

bro, i've read every post in this thread, and if ANYTHING in here has rubbed you the wrong way enough to say what you did in post 16, just forget about the Marine Corps. forget it. some young NCO will eat you alive for given him the idea that you even think "Fact is, I want to be involved with the military. I'm a natural leader who currently holds several leadership positions on campus, along with a very competitive GPA. I want to better myself and my country, but I also want to finish my degree." first, "involved" is not a good mindset to portray to these guys. its either all in or nothing, not "just involved". mentioning the several leadership positions and competitive gpa like it means something (it does, and congrats on that, but) to a non-college going grunt, at best, it will get you laughed at, at worst, totally resented, unrespected, and maybe a black eye or busted lip. its all about the attitude you bring and how you present yourself now that determines the kind of leader you'll be later. but to lead, you have to be subordinate first. next, you're off track on the enlisted not havng respect for guys who do ocs during college. thats how most enlisted commissioning programs work, and those dudes get the highest respect being prior enlisted.

but the general jist is these post are a watered down version of how talk and "advice" go in the service. probably most of the repliers are ncos or sncos, and this is how they "advise" their men day in and day out, as our goal is to equip you to make the decision on your own. because one day, we may not be there (dead, out of pocket, etc), or have the time to give you "personalized, hands on guidance" (for the same reasons or the enemy situation dictates you making a decision like "yesterday"). so the advice we give in garrison is modeled to foster that mentality. thats why it seems like any thread asking for "advice" can seem crude. then add in the fact ls1tech is free time, and most have been answering "life questions" like this all day, a "stranger" or "outsider" (all civilians) asking a question is really going to get the cut to the point answer, but watered down to make it "ls1tech safe".

I reccomend you do some soul searching and think about whether or not you are willing to be ready to put your life (and future)on the backburner for the service, for an indefinite, possibly infinite, amount of time. in order to answer that, you first have to answer if you are willing to commit to this lifestyle. only you can answer that, but your general replies here have given us all a clue to what that answer MIGHT be. not saying we know it all and are 100% positive, but with experiencing different mentalities in the service, we see which really fits well and which ones dont. but if you were to ever vocalize in person what you wrote in post 16 just from what was said prior to that in this thread, a military career will be some effort to have and enjoy it too. just my two cents, but i promise you other guys who have posted here or have even just read and not posted would put their two cents in this same pot if you called them on it.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Just remember, Active Duty recruiters will tell you anything they think you want to hear. Like a car salesman.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
bro, i've read every post in this thread, and if ANYTHING in here has rubbed you the wrong way enough to say what you did in post 16, just forget about the Marine Corps. forget it. some young NCO will eat you alive for given him the idea that you even think "Fact is, I want to be involved with the military. I'm a natural leader who currently holds several leadership positions on campus, along with a very competitive GPA. I want to better myself and my country, but I also want to finish my degree." first, "involved" is not a good mindset to portray to these guys. its either all in or nothing, not "just involved". mentioning the several leadership positions and competitive gpa like it means something (it does, and congrats on that, but) to a non-college going grunt, at best, it will get you laughed at, at worst, totally resented, unrespected, and maybe a black eye or busted lip. its all about the attitude you bring and how you present yourself now that determines the kind of leader you'll be later. but to lead, you have to be subordinate first. next, you're off track on the enlisted not havng respect for guys who do ocs during college. thats how most enlisted commissioning programs work, and those dudes get the highest respect being prior enlisted.

but the general jist is these post are a watered down version of how talk and "advice" go in the service. probably most of the repliers are ncos or sncos, and this is how they "advise" their men day in and day out, as our goal is to equip you to make the decision on your own. because one day, we may not be there (dead, out of pocket, etc), or have the time to give you "personalized, hands on guidance" (for the same reasons or the enemy situation dictates you making a decision like "yesterday"). so the advice we give in garrison is modeled to foster that mentality. thats why it seems like any thread asking for "advice" can seem crude. then add in the fact ls1tech is free time, and most have been answering "life questions" like this all day, a "stranger" or "outsider" (all civilians) asking a question is really going to get the cut to the point answer, but watered down to make it "ls1tech safe".

I reccomend you do some soul searching and think about whether or not you are willing to be ready to put your life (and future)on the backburner for the service, for an indefinite, possibly infinite, amount of time. in order to answer that, you first have to answer if you are willing to commit to this lifestyle. only you can answer that, but your general replies here have given us all a clue to what that answer MIGHT be. not saying we know it all and are 100% positive, but with experiencing different mentalities in the service, we see which really fits well and which ones dont. but if you were to ever vocalize in person what you wrote in post 16 just from what was said prior to that in this thread, a military career will be some effort to have and enjoy it too. just my two cents, but i promise you other guys who have posted here or have even just read and not posted would put their two cents in this same pot if you called them on it.
First, I appreciate your reply and I agree with you for the most part.

I didn't say that in order to attempt to convince everyone I deserved to be a part of anything. I just simply wanted to state that *I* believed I was capable of serving in such capacities. To me, being involved is always giving 110% and going above and beyond to make something work, and if possible - make it better. I grew up in a military family, and had I not gotten several scholarships to study at my university, it's very likely I would have gone the same route. In no way do I think I'm better than, more important than, or more worthy than anyone.

I will most certainly take everyone's advice into consideration though, as most of you have very valid points. Some of you may feel like I'm just looking for my next adrenaline rush, and you may be correct. I'll keep everyone updated on any information I receive and decisions I make.

Thank you all.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

the next step then is to talk to the various recruiters and luk what they say. we will be able to call BS on anything thats BS and give you better rebuttal material lol.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Sounds like someone will cry his eyes out when he gets sent to the theater, if you want school full time, stay in school full time and get a commission, don't worry about the enlisted respect towards commissioned officers straight out of OTS. You will earn respect if you give respect.

Or you can get an enlisted job like dentist assistant or something like that, don't deploy as much.

A little advice, keep the "I am a natural born leader" thing to yourself or you will be attempting to prove yourself to a lot of people.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Go Air National Guard yo 8D be a loadmaster or something awesome like that
Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got done reading this thread... I'll lay it out for you, as best as I can.

Don't bank on the military EVER being part time. You'd be on the clock 24/7, and held to higher standards than civilians. You'll have a complete separate justice system that you will have to abide by. For your first year or two, you will be mercilessly hounded, fucked with, and given every **** job you can imagine, just for being boots. You will be underpaid and overworked, and unless you believe in what you're doing, you will hate it. Relationships will be strained with family, and almost impossible to maintain with a significant other. You will eventually not understand how to relate to "normal" people, and your low tolerance for bullshit will make most of them think you are an *******. In fact, most will be completely incapable of understanding even the basics of what you do or why you do it. It will be the hardest job you will ever do, with little thanks.

All that being said, I've been active duty for 6 years, and I love my job.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by roninsonic
I just got done reading this thread... I'll lay it out for you, as best as I can.

Don't bank on the military EVER being part time. You'd be on the clock 24/7, and held to higher standards than civilians. You'll have a complete separate justice system that you will have to abide by. For your first year or two, you will be mercilessly hounded, fucked with, and given every **** job you can imagine, just for being boots. You will be underpaid and overworked, and unless you believe in what you're doing, you will hate it. Relationships will be strained with family, and almost impossible to maintain with a significant other. You will eventually not understand how to relate to "normal" people, and your low tolerance for bullshit will make most of them think you are an *******. In fact, most will be completely incapable of understanding even the basics of what you do or why you do it. It will be the hardest job you will ever do, with little thanks.

Advice taken. Unfortunately, I'd say a majority of that already describes me.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well said.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Just remember, Active Duty recruiters will tell you anything they think you want to hear. Like a car salesman.

I resent this statement. I have been on recruiting duty for over 2 years and have been wildly successful out here. Keep in mind I never wanted to come out on this duty to begin with. Actually, I fought like hell to keep from coming out here (I was trying to figure out alll sorts of crazy ways to keep from coming out on this duty... even considered going to the courthouse and getting divorce paperwork filling it out, then never actually filing for divorce... that was a step too far for me though). I got to be that way by being brutally honest with the kids (yes kids, most of them are 17-21) and holding them accountable. Most authority figures in thier life do neither of these things. We have become a society of socially sucking the "dick" of the kid's ego, and then wondering why he is a massive underachiever. You have to realize what is going on in most of these kids lives. They are in a very liberal enviroment where no one is holding them accountable (also known as public high schools). Social promotion and excuse making is rampant and is considered acceptable - sadly enough. For most of these kids, you are one of the only people in thier life that will be brutally honest with them. There are a lot of reasons for this that I will not get into. Most of the recruiters that do very well on this duty are doing well because they are very blunt with the kids. "Guess what? Boot camp sucks. And so do deployments..." "There are a lot of really good things about being in the Marine Corps, and there are a lot of shitty things too..." Are there recruiters who lie and mislead and/or straight out lie??? Hell yes there are, and you will find that they have a lot of issues out on the duty. On the Marine side, if you get caught playing games like that, it will do serious damage to your career or get relieved (if you get relieved because you were up to no good, your career is OVER, no if ands or buts). I started getting really successful on this duty when I started resisting the temptation to try and frame everything in a way you think the kid will like. I take the attitude that as soon as the kid walks in the door he is there on MY terms not his, because I do not have to work with him if I don't want to. I am capped at 1-2 kids per month that I can put in (and quite frankly, I could go months with out actually enlisting anyone as long as I am not gaffing off certain things and not get crap from my superiors). So why would I waste my time on some kid who annoys me or I think is a low quality human being when there are real good kids that are real meat eaters waiting to get in??? Once I got in the groove of how things worked, I send people away all the time that I could probably get in, I just don't want to work with the kid, usually because he is a low quality human being. I am not that unusual in that aspect...

Applicant: "Sgt, I want a job that has to do with computers!"
Me: "That's nice. You got a 32 on the ASVAB. I want to be 6'3. Neither of those things are going to happen...."
(keep in mind a 32 on the ASVAB is right up there with getting a 15 on the ACT, congrats, you have a pulse and can spell your name fucktard)

Applicant: "You need me to enlist..."
Me: "You need to get the **** out of my office...."

The thing is that most of the recruiters out on the street right now enlisted AFTER 9/11 with forethought and malice, and have been on combat deployments. Our tolerance for someone that wants it thier way is VERY low. We tend to only want to put people in that we want to work with in the future. More often than not, we are still in because we love it, and do not want slow blinking mouth breathers gunking up the works of our organization.
You have to realize what is going on with the services right now, and society as a whole. First off, the branches are being shrank, and the economy blows. A lot of people who might get out normally do not want to get out. A lot of kids who would like to go to college can not afford it because thier families are unemployed or under employed or in some kind of finiancial hardship (remember real world unemployment is around 21%). Unemployment for people 18-24 is 46%. 85% of 2011 college grads were forced to move back in with thier parents. 25% of college grads can't make good on thier college loans.
All of the services have more people coming in the door than they can enlist. Standards keep going up and up, and it is harder. Conventional wisdom on the Marine side is 70-80% of High School seniors are DISQUALIFIED to join. 80-90% of high school grads are DISQUALIFIED for enlistment. (I personally think the numbers are worse... some kids lie thier *** off to get in and some recruiters help them...) We are bursting at the seams with quality applicants, and we wouldn't have it any other way.
I could go on and on about this... all of that being said though... 03sierraslt, you sir, are an *** clown.

Back to the OP though... There are a lot of options out there, assuming you are actually qualified. There is a value alone in finding out if you are DQ or not, if for no other reason than to guide your future plans and options. I would talk to several of the branches if that is what floats your boat. I would caution you on going in trying to "toot your own horn." If your school record, leadership, ect is solid, it will all come out in time. If you go in there talking about how **** hot you are, it is likely to **** the guy off. I know if you came in like that with me, I wouldn't really want to work with you. I would probably want to step on your throat. Depending on the week I was having, I might actually do it.
Be professional when you go to talk to the recruiter, he probably will be so with you (lets not pretend that all are professional, though most are). Dress appropriate (suit not needed, but if you come in looking like an *** clown, you might get treated like one). You are a grown *** man, act like it. Go in with a list of questions (it is very easy to get off track and forget to ask your questions) and take notes. Remember, just because you come in and find out what your possibilities are, does not mean you have to join. Most recrutiers are like me in that we have a lot of people that want to join, so we will follow up with you periodically, but we don't have time to be blowing up your phone begging you or "hunting you down". There are plenty of kids that I intervied that did not enlist for quite some time. In fact, not too long ago, I enlisted a kid that I interviewed almost 2 years ago. Be honest with the guy that you just are not sure and that you are shopping around. You should be, it is a big life choice. If you think he is being dishonest with you, call him on it. Ask for a proof source, a good recruiter will have them on hand or will be able to get it for you. I have had to prove things to people before, it is not a big deal. We are well aware that there are plenty of *** clowns like 03sierra that think we are liars. In fact, there was a time when that **** was pretty rampant.
As far as deploying goes... there is no good answer to that. It depends on a lot of things, not just MOS (job). I know guys in the band that have been on 4 combat deployments with Combat Action Ribbons and Purple Hearts... I also know infantry guys that have been in for 4-10 years that have never deployed to combat (wrong place wrong time), by virtue of where they were stationed.... Expect to deploy, but it is by no means a sure thing. I begged to be deployed and it took me 2.5 years as a guy on active duty.
As far as active duty vs reserves... I personally do not like reservists, but I see the value in it. If your goal is to be an officer, I personally think the reserves while you go to college is the best way to do it IMHO. Get your feet wet while you complete your degree.
One last thing... you can look into the National Guard, and I would suggest that you do. I caution you though about them. In my experience they are the dirtiest as far as recruiting goes..... there are a lot of reasons for it, and they have gotten better about thier recruiting process in the past couple of years. It used to be VERY dirty. I suggest you talk to them AFTER you talk to a couple of other services. One of the things they will often tell you is that they will take you to MEPS to find out if you are qualified, or that you can join and switch services. While both of these are mostly true, there is more to the story. They have different rules because they are State Militia, not Federal Military. If you start doing paper work with them, you HAVE to get a Conditional Release to join another branch. Here's the fun part: THEY DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE IT TO YOU, and often don't.
One of the other posters said something about you don't haev to give them any information, and he is right. I would caution you though... if someone called me or came in asking a lot of questions, but wouldn't give me any information, I would hang up on them or tell them to get out. First off, it smells fishy. Secondly, I am not going to waste time talking to someone till I can find out if they even have a chance of being qualified to enlist.

I wish you the best of luck in your search. Do some soul searching and some research. Bottom line, go sit down with a recruiter and get the basic information, and find out if you are even qualified.

Last edited by lt1 hawk; 07-01-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

I could not agree with you more. Remeber PFC does not in fact stand for Private First Class it stands for "Perfect For Cleaning...."
Not sure how I did it to be honest with you: I started dating a woman while I was in that I eventually married and am still with almost 7 years later.
You do have to believe in what you are doing.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MrMixnMatch
I'm looking to get involved with the armed forces, but I'm really only free on the weekend. I was initially thinking Marine OCS, but they switched up the program (didn't offer the one-summer program anymore) and made me ineligible, unless I were to enlist full time.
One last thing, check into this again. These things change constantly, and are usually out of the control of the individual Marine you are working with.
(and this could change in the matter of weeks.... Officer recruiting is MUCH MUCH different for the Marine Corps... the enlisted side, things don't change like that, and changes are usually phased in over time. On the officer side, that crap changes ALL THE FREAKING TIME)

Last edited by lt1 hawk; 07-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
Keep in mind I never wanted to come out on this duty to begin with.
well what did you do to make your monitor mad lol? do they still even have monitors, or are you reading this like "wtf is he talking about?"

The thing is that most of the recruiters out on the street right now enlisted AFTER 9/11 with forethought and malice, and have been on combat deployments
I must admit, i was concerned about the whole new "digie"/"crucible" generation, but you guys do/have done well i must say.

I know guys in the band that have been on 4 combat deployments with Combat Action Ribbons and Purple Hearts...
now how does that happen? there's got to be a story here...

I personally do not like reservists...you can look into the National Guard, and I would suggest that you do
Did i miss some logic here?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

The band, when not tooting their horns or such are used as security. Normally PSD but they can be used for other security roles.

@LT1Hawk, thanks for posting that. I was one of the brutally honest folks that ended up being a failed Recruiter. That's okay. **** recruiting, **** USAREC, **** the location I was in, **** the American civilian. Most of everything you've said is what I had encountered in that scant 18 months I was out there.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
well what did you do to make your monitor mad lol? do they still even have monitors, or are you reading this like "wtf is he talking about?"

I must admit, i was concerned about the whole new "digie"/"crucible" generation, but you guys do/have done well i must say.

now how does that happen? there's got to be a story here...

Did i miss some logic here?
To make the monitor mad? Nothing. Special Duties Monitor trumps all other monitors. I was a professional recruiting dodger, I was on the list for something like 3 years and skated out of it time after time with the help of the right people in the Batallion. It is harder and harder to get out of recruiting.

As far as the band going on deployments.... For the Marine Corps, this goes back pretty much since the begining... There have been MOH awardees from Civil War (when the MOH started) all the way through Viet Nam from the band. Since at least Desert Storm they have been still used for combat deployments. Different story for different units and different engagements. The bands from wing units usually do firm base security and maybe a PSD. The ones from the Divisions usually do firm base security, PSD, convoy security (there were band and even some more traditional infantry duties. Then there are ones that go in smaller numbers as Individual Augments to any number of units.

As far as reservists.... I don't really like them from any service to be honest with you. Has a lot to do with there is a lot they do not learn about the military and the culture because they are only around it for short periods of time. It is a wierd situation, and I have had bad experiences with reservists overseas and in other enviroments. It is not always fair to the reservist to be honest, and I don't really have a good fix for it. On the flip side of that, I think it is one of the best ways to become an officer. Go through enlisted boot camp, have them help you pay for school while you get a little bit of experience then go to OCS.
As far as the NG, goes if you talk to them after the other services, you will be more likely to see through thier game. Not all Army National Guard is like that I am sure, but everyone I have talked to over the country are just like the ones I have had to deal with.

Last edited by lt1 hawk; 07-09-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ricks4genshianne
The band, when not tooting their horns or such are used as security. Normally PSD but they can be used for other security roles.

@LT1Hawk, thanks for posting that. I was one of the brutally honest folks that ended up being a failed Recruiter. That's okay. **** recruiting, **** USAREC, **** the location I was in, **** the American civilian. Most of everything you've said is what I had encountered in that scant 18 months I was out there.
USAREC is awful. Army recruiting in my experience does not give a **** about thier Soldiers. Not saying the whole Army is like that, but in my experience they have not given a **** about thier recruiters and will throw any of them under the bus in a heart beat. Had a good buddy out here that was a Army recruiter (and a very good one that was pretty honest) and he was glad to get out of here. We all are glad to leave recruiting, but he knew his batallion did not give a **** about him or any of the other soliders out there.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

wondering what happened to the OP....
Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

you didn't DEP him in lol??
Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not going to lie... I ******* HATE working with reservists. They're usually half-trained hobbyists who have a penchant for causing more work for ME... And they're bullet magnets.

Quick Reply: Armed Forces Weekend or Part-Time