Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Air force TSgt here

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 PM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
Both of you are out line. Mind your Ps and Qs. This is a public forum, anybody and everyone can read your comments.

You are still military with a sense of respect to yourself and to everyone on and off duty regardless of the mistakes of someone else.
Yes, it's an open forum but nothing being said is approaching taboo. Long as you guys don't start talking OPSEC it's all good with me.

One rotten apple doesn't necessarily spoils the whole bunch. That is like saying the rest of the AF or military is bad because of this incident.
I concur.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Sleeper
i may be alone here but im ready to retire...the current AF is certainly not what i joined in 1995.....no offense to the E-1 to E-4's on this forum but i cant stand the mentality of todays airman..the " I didnt join to deploy" , "you cant talk to me like that" .."what are you going to do for me?" generation in todays AF.....alot of it has to do with the promotion rates and how they basically give E-5 away nowdays....seriously....how could you possibly think you are ready to be an NCO and a supervisor at only 4 to 5 years of service....with the way the smart *** airman are now days, they mow over the new staff sergeants like nothing because those ssgt's havent had enough time in to learn how to lead and stand up to those airman...
The issue really goes all the way up the chain. Its not the Amn, its the NCOs, their supervisors, and SNCOs. Who is enforcing the standards? If the young SSgts are not putting their subordinates in line, obviously their supervisor isnt doing it either.

As a SNCO if you notice a problem with an Airman and TSgt or SSgt Snuffy isnt doing anything about it, what are you doing to hold the TSgt/SSgt accountable?

Depending on what rank/position you hold, if you are putting your troop in check, he will be doing the same. People who violate regs, are dis-respectful, or just don't meet standards will either correct the behaivor or be out the front gate if YOU are doing your job.

Its hard to blame to the young Airmen or even the young NCOs because its been the this way for years. Anyone remember the great SSgt give away in 2001? Yes...Most of those are the TSgts and alot of those are now MSgts! Did they grow into the positions? Some did, Some didnt....
Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canada4g63
AWWWWWWW did i hurt you feelings? You mad bro?
So your telling me a guy that did all that **** and no one knew about it? ******* pathetic if you ask me, one of the reasons why the younger gen of AF are a bunch of *****, and yes TI's do make people look bad i don't know how many airman I've locked up and or kicked out because they some how made there way in the AF because TI's were soft on them and there lack of respect.
1 thing I can say where you are clueless on our job here, is sometimes we cant get rid of the crappy recruits. If anyone in our CoC above the flight MTI is worried about attrition, then we dont recycle the trainee no matter what. The first year I was here it didnt matter what they did or didnt do, they graduated. Hows that our fault, its not thats a plain and simple failure of the system.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Launching!

you are correct to an extent...as the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink".....yes, some supervision up to the top can in fact be the problem but when the new airman are instilled with all these "rights" when they come up through BMT and Tech training they get this false sense of security thinking that they can challenge whatever they are told. .all these agencies airman can go to now to bitch and complain or report their bosses for things that hurt their feelings...this is the military for gods sake and the AF is going the polar opposite and following the "corporate" world.....i remember the "shut the **** up and color saying when i was coming up in the AF in the mid 90's..i made SSgt in 2000 and sewed on in 2001.....when i came in, there were SrA with 7-8 years TIS and that was the norm...you RESPECTED SrA back then...nowdays you can hardly get respect as an E5 or E6 ......who's fault is is? sometimes the supervisor, the flight chief or even the commander.....the problem i really see nowdays thinking about it are the SNCO's that dont back up their junior NCO's....is your spine removed when given E7? seems to me this is the route the SNCO corp is heading....the bad part is the Airman see this and know they can just go cry the blues to your boss and get what they want....this is how it is here at least..i deal with Tech school students along with training 5 and 7 level's as well in my job...we do our best to reshape our students into good airman and NCO's but one person can only do so much.....its frustrating and im glad i retire in 2015.....middle management in the AF (SSgt-TSgt) are the whipping boys of the enlisted corp..

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
The issue really goes all the way up the chain. Its not the Amn, its the NCOs, their supervisors, and SNCOs. Who is enforcing the standards? If the young SSgts are not putting their subordinates in line, obviously their supervisor isnt doing it either.

As a SNCO if you notice a problem with an Airman and TSgt or SSgt Snuffy isnt doing anything about it, what are you doing to hold the TSgt/SSgt accountable?

Depending on what rank/position you hold, if you are putting your troop in check, he will be doing the same. People who violate regs, are dis-respectful, or just don't meet standards will either correct the behaivor or be out the front gate if YOU are doing your job.

Its hard to blame to the young Airmen or even the young NCOs because its been the this way for years. Anyone remember the great SSgt give away in 2001? Yes...Most of those are the TSgts and alot of those are now MSgts! Did they grow into the positions? Some did, Some didnt....
Old 08-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Launching!

as a tech training instructor that explains alot...i dont know how many times we ask new students "how in the hell did to manage to make it through BMT?"

Originally Posted by firemech21
1 thing I can say where you are clueless on our job here, is sometimes we cant get rid of the crappy recruits. If anyone in our CoC above the flight MTI is worried about attrition, then we dont recycle the trainee no matter what. The first year I was here it didnt matter what they did or didnt do, they graduated. Hows that our fault, its not thats a plain and simple failure of the system.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

You just said it! "SNCOs don't back you up". Thats my point. A failure in the chain.

I agree the AF is transitioning to a corporate style. I have attended many of these new seminars. The goal of "leading the troops to WANT to do their job and do it well" rather than the ole school of "shut up and color" mentality. Obviously you can't change everyone and we have to see they find the door and it does take the support of the entire chain.

I don't know where it comes from, but I'm sick of hearing people having to defend the "3" or "4" EPRs they write let alone a markdown.

As a single person, we can't change the entire AF, but if we all handle whats in our span of control we can make a difference for the better.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Launching!

well said!!!!

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
You just said it! "SNCOs don't back you up". Thats my point. A failure in the chain.

I agree the AF is transitioning to a corporate style. I have attended many of these new seminars. The goal of "leading the troops to WANT to do their job and do it well" rather than the ole school of "shut up and color" mentality. Obviously you can't change everyone and we have to see they find the door and it does take the support of the entire chain.

I don't know where it comes from, but I'm sick of hearing people having to defend the "3" or "4" EPRs they write let alone a markdown.

As a single person, we can't change the entire AF, but if we all handle whats in our span of control we can make a difference for the better.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

2A6x1 here stationed in Lakenheath, hoping to get back to the states to get back into an LS car, These econo box's depress me.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

SrA here. Just hit my 3 year mark, and missed the cutoff date to test for Staff this year by 8 days. I'm at Little Rock as 1C7x1, Airfield Management. Just got done with Honor Guard, I loved it. I'm just crossing my fingers to get overseas!!! I've been constantly applying for every slot available to no avail yet.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by 2000Z28ls1
2A6x1 here stationed in Lakenheath, hoping to get back to the states to get back into an LS car, These econo box's depress me.
That's why I brought my Z28 here in Lakenheath.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see your parked at the Post office now and again the one with the Z06 wheels right?, the few other fbodys I have seen have been a black T/A that sounds cammed, and the SOM Z28 that sits at the abandon gas station and doesn't move..

Jim
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I bet a Fbody really is a head turner over there huh? If you had the choice, would you bring your car again? I'm wondering where are the good bases to bring your car.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I bet a Fbody really is a head turner over there huh? If you had the choice, would you bring your car again? I'm wondering where are the good bases to bring your car.
I was at Lakenheath with my Z28 and Trans Am. Dude, BRING IT. The roads are so much fun...
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Sleeper
you are correct to an extent...as the saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink".....yes, some supervision up to the top can in fact be the problem but when the new airman are instilled with all these "rights" when they come up through BMT and Tech training they get this false sense of security thinking that they can challenge whatever they are told. .all these agencies airman can go to now to bitch and complain or report their bosses for things that hurt their feelings...this is the military for gods sake and the AF is going the polar opposite and following the "corporate" world.....i remember the "shut the **** up and color saying when i was coming up in the AF in the mid 90's..i made SSgt in 2000 and sewed on in 2001.....when i came in, there were SrA with 7-8 years TIS and that was the norm...you RESPECTED SrA back then...nowdays you can hardly get respect as an E5 or E6 ......who's fault is is? sometimes the supervisor, the flight chief or even the commander.....the problem i really see nowdays thinking about it are the SNCO's that dont back up their junior NCO's....is your spine removed when given E7? seems to me this is the route the SNCO corp is heading....the bad part is the Airman see this and know they can just go cry the blues to your boss and get what they want....this is how it is here at least..i deal with Tech school students along with training 5 and 7 level's as well in my job...we do our best to reshape our students into good airman and NCO's but one person can only do so much.....its frustrating and im glad i retire in 2015.....middle management in the AF (SSgt-TSgt) are the whipping boys of the enlisted corp..
I was in the AF from 98-08 (crew chief), you wrote almost exactly word for word on how I felt in the AF. When I came in we SrA driving our trucks and running things. I came in as A1C and remember guys reenlisting as SrA for the second time. It was a HUGE deal when someone made SSgt until the great SSgt give away. I didnt mind because I came in A1C and made SSgt my first time and had it on at my 4 year mark. Then it seemed like SSgt was the new SrA. It seemed after the big SSgt give away the AF started going down hill. I remember being a SSgt and not even being able to anything with one of airmen after he got caught drinking underage. He then got a DUI and lost a stripe and with his huge stack of LOR's they still didnt kick him out. I requested they move him to graveshift with me and they said no cause he wanted to work days. The "new" AF said just give him a LOC or LOR. I remember people cleaning flower beds, vehicles, buildings, and even building a fence on extra duty when I came in. All that slowly went away and you just give them paperwork. I cant imagine how bad it is now lol.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
I was at Lakenheath with my Z28 and Trans Am. Dude, BRING IT. The roads are so much fun...
What roads? I'm at Mildenhall and I don't have my f-body here with me but I've got an STI and all these roads just give me a headache. I miss having a canyon road just 5 miles from my house, these roads suck imo.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

I am a 2A0X1S currently stationed in Misawa, Japan working F16's. Missing my V8's... Have 1 year 9 months left and I'll be rolling out to college!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000Z28ls1
I see your parked at the Post office now and again the one with the Z06 wheels right?, the few other fbodys I have seen have been a black T/A that sounds cammed, and the SOM Z28 that sits at the abandon gas station and doesn't move..

Jim
The black T/A would be me!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
AAaaaaaaaaand you can shut the **** up. Especially considering you have no idea what your talking about and what goes on down here. And TI's don't make you look bad. AB Walker does.
^ That's it Pipe get him. I'm so tired of the TI jokes because of a few **** heads. I held a hell of a position that I will always be proud of for 5 years as an Air Force MTI. Now I'm just a regular ol AGE guy again lost in some God forsaken country for what doesn't seem like any real reason.

OP- I'm a Shady J guy as well, just deployed right now with the Rockets. I don't have an F body, just an ugly orange loud Pontiac G8.
Tate
Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Compg
^ That's it Pipe get him. I'm so tired of the TI jokes because of a few **** heads. I held a hell of a position that I will always be proud of for 5 years as an Air Force MTI. Now I'm just a regular ol AGE guy again lost in some God forsaken country for what doesn't seem like any real reason.

OP- I'm a Shady J guy as well, just deployed right now with the Rockets. I don't have an F body, just an ugly orange loud Pontiac G8.
Tate
Ha...Shady J isn't that bad is it? I'm trying to make my way toward Charleston myself after I leave here. I got extended 3 months though, so I have until Oct of next year yet. I'm pretty excited to get back to POL actually.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Launching!

right on....i know a few guys from Age..one of them is an instructor with me...

i have 1 more year of instructor duty and i get to submit my BOP tomorrow hopefully in 2 weeks i find out im getting orders out west to Luke or Nellis...ive been at seymour since 2001...im fed up with it

Originally Posted by Compg

Tate

Quick Reply: Air force TSgt here