Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAF Jobs for my son.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a Maintainer in the AF... I agree with those above. Air Force wise, try to say away from Maintenance and Security Forces. We get **** on regularly... 12's and working the weekend isn't too uncommon... Especially being stationed oversea's like me.

I will be getting out in a year and a half. Kinda contemplating ROTC... But at this point I just want to do my time and get out.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 251 Likes on 175 Posts

Digging up this thread up from the ashes.

After all this time and 2yrs of school, he's feeling the need to get out.

Alot of great info but much of the AF lingo and acronyms is out of my realm. He has an appt with a recruiter on Weds after school. Unfortunately, I won't be there but I know he won't sign anything.
I may not have been AF but I know how the military works and how those great "salesmen" talk it up. He currently has one friend that joined open and is pulling 24hr duty every other day in Japan for the past year and a half waiting on a para-rescue date. If he even gets it.

I just wish there was a AFB close by we could visit. It sucks not being near a big post and being rapid deployment. I used to know many AF guys since I was flying out somewhere so often.

The AF website has a lot of good pictures of poster kids smiling. But what the real job is is a different story.

BTW his last ASVAB was, I think, 92 or somewhere near there. Not sure of his SAT, I know it was pretty damn good. Now that he has some college under his belt, it should all be even better.

I know he's gettin discouraged working part time for just over Min. wage and ready to make some decent money. His 01 Z28 we're building is burning up his wallet...and mine.

But as long as he's a student he's still getting free college (my GI Bill), medical (Tricare) and living for free with Mom & Dad. And still able to race motocross on Dad's dime.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:13 AM
On The Tree

I'm currently deployed again and pretty bored. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions at all... I ended up extending 2 years to go to England. I worked as a maintainer, deployed under a civil engineering squadron. Now I work at a Globally separated unit, and deployed as under a Communications squadron. I have also done security forces augmentee training twice... So I am pretty well versed and know LOTS of different people and jobs.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Digging up this thread up from the ashes.

After all this time and 2yrs of school, he's feeling the need to get out.

Alot of great info but much of the AF lingo and acronyms is out of my realm. He has an appt with a recruiter on Weds after school. Unfortunately, I won't be there but I know he won't sign anything.
I may not have been AF but I know how the military works and how those great "salesmen" talk it up. He currently has one friend that joined open and is pulling 24hr duty every other day in Japan for the past year and a half waiting on a para-rescue date. If he even gets it.

I just wish there was a AFB close by we could visit. It sucks not being near a big post and being rapid deployment. I used to know many AF guys since I was flying out somewhere so often.

The AF website has a lot of good pictures of poster kids smiling. But what the real job is is a different story.

BTW his last ASVAB was, I think, 92 or somewhere near there. Not sure of his SAT, I know it was pretty damn good. Now that he has some college under his belt, it should all be even better.

I know he's gettin discouraged working part time for just over Min. wage and ready to make some decent money. His 01 Z28 we're building is burning up his wallet...and mine.

But as long as he's a student he's still getting free college (my GI Bill), medical (Tricare) and living for free with Mom & Dad. And still able to race motocross on Dad's dime.
Nobody is getting rich in the Air Force. You have desire to be a public servant or the job is just your thing. Times are changing...the culture is changing. The Air Force is rapidly changing to a corporate type of structure. If you have separated or retired more than 10 years ago, you don't know anything about the service anymore. The Air Force is the least military like of all the services for good reason. The younger guys are coming in smarter and more technical then ever before.
Even aircraft maintenance needs these new technological airman. Today, even the lowest ranking airman has a voice, the senior members listen and focus on caring for their people. Other than basic training, there is no bullying,no yelling, degrading people, or maltreatment...essentially what you think the military is like based on TV movies, Is not true for the AF.. I would say the image you see on the AF website is indeed true in most organization (we do have bad apples like everyone else). I assure you, Your son or daughter will be taken care of and treated as a person, not the bottom rank of the military.

As for jobs, they all have their good and bad like all jobs. Some people love security forces and maintenance, some don't. Im sure jobs like those are more rewarding than jobs like finance. Do what you love.

One disclaimer, with the downsizing if the military as a whole, the Airman are filling more army deployments. Don't assume, the af keeps you safe from harms way in a deployed scenario.

The most important thing to have in the military and in any job, is a good/positive attitude. Maintenance folks are not treated badly, the job is simply more demanding and frankly incredibly important.

Bully said he was getting out in 1.5yrs, that was 3 years ago...he must deeply really like his job

Last edited by badazz81z28; 03-07-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badazz81z28

Bully said he was getting out in 1.5yrs, that was 3 years ago...he must deeply really like his job

I actually loved working Avionics on F-16's. Wasn't a fan of leaderships opinion on hours worked and they were dicks... I stayed in ONLY because I got a Special Duty tour in England for 2 years. I will be getting out in 13 months. The Air Force has been great, and I have had a LOT of awesome experiences. It's just time for me to move on. You nailed it on the head and I will not argue with anything you said!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the Marines and have worked for or with every branch to include the Coast Gaurd. After seeing them all I would still choose the Marine Corps every time, there is no sense of pride or duty in the other branches as a whole. Every other branch the general aagreement or attitude is to do your time and go or stay because it's easy. When you drive around anywhere you will see 5-10 Marine Corps stickers for every one of the other branch.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 251 Likes on 175 Posts

I appreciate all the info. After trying to talk him into staying in school, to no avail, he want's to go. He's tired of staying around home.

It looks like he's going as a Loadmaster. He loves aircraft, flying and wants to see the world. We've talked with a few people and I discussed it with some Active & retired guys on yellowbullet. A few were loadmasters and they loved their jobs.

I told him he'll probably see more of the world than I did, (which was a lot), But if he can keep from getting shot at as much as me, he'll have a good career.

So look slike later this summer he'll be trying to head out. I told him, the more he's out flying in cirlces, the more money he saves to build his car. He was all for that. (and benefits me so I don't have to pay for this new LQ4 build)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Loadmaster is a pretty good job! He will be traveling all the time! If he can get stationed at Ramstein he will have an amazing time!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:48 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

I was in for five years, I got out and I'm going to school to go back as an officer. He should stay in school until he finishes, then go in. He'll have it better. The pay difference between officer and enlisted is quite different, as are the responsibilities.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

as a loadie, once active time is up he could go to air guard or reserve, then interview in unit for a pilot slot (assuming his college gets finished). They don't care what degree you have (I have a history degree and am a C-130 pilot). The biggest thing is that they like you in the guard/reserve. Be like-able and approachable and take care of your people and good things come your way, especially in a unit where people don't go in and out frequently...like the guard/reserve. If I had it to do over again, I'd go reserves or guard. Good luck to your son.

Quick Reply: USAF Jobs for my son.