Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Towing an F-body w/ rental, any previous experience?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WS6 veteran,
i did a DITY move from M.I. to San Diego and put my wifes sunfire up on a trailer and the gas was horrible but, as long as you save all your receipts you'll get reimbursed for it. also make sure you get as close to your weight limit as possible i.e. maybe a couple of bags of cement cus there gonna pay you based on weight as well
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

isnt the cap for the weight 6000?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM

the cap wieght depends on rank/number of dependents mine was 8000 as an E-2 one dependent
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by copteezer496
Hope you like it out there Sierra Vista. I was stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson and I spent time down there around the Army base. I have a couple of friend that are civilian contractors on Fort Huachuca and they seam to like it. One of them has a bad *** red '02 WS6. His name is Scott and he's retired Army.
Sorry been a while since I checked out this post, didn't know it was still active. I have seen this T/A in a certain parking lot. Think this is the same one we are talking about. Im going to go around and start putting notes on windows because I can't find any F-body's or even domestic car clubs for that matter to hang out with. Met a guy with a SOM C6 Vette yesterday and got his information. But, I really want to start a group and maybe make trips to tucson and what not.

Originally Posted by GSE3WS6
WS6 veteran,
i did a DITY move from M.I. to San Diego and put my wifes sunfire up on a trailer and the gas was horrible but, as long as you save all your receipts you'll get reimbursed for it. also make sure you get as close to your weight limit as possible i.e. maybe a couple of bags of cement cus there gonna pay you based on weight as well
With new dity moves you aren't reimbursed for gas, they just remove it from your overall cost for the move (they didn't even ask for copies of my receipts, they said if they find suspicion then they audit and ask for receipts). They give you a lump sum up front what they would pay the movers. Then automatically remove 5% of that. Once your done with move, you fill out your paperwork summing up your receipts based off of gas, rental, moving equipment, etc. They won't cover towing your vehicle to include the trailer rental, if your also driving a POV (wife drove her own vehicle so I had to pay out of pocket for my T/A). They subtract the receipts from the total that they are going to give you for the move and tax the extra you are going to pocket (because it's considered a bonus). I won't do another dity. This is how my dity mapped out (rough average)

Requested dity advance giving my guesstimate weight of 5500.

They gave me $2200 up front ( advance based off 5500 lbs)

Bought penske, conducted move which cost me a total of about $2800 (thank god for per diem and DLA advance to cover extra cost.)

I ended up having 7700 LBS (had that 26 ft penske truck slammed).

Turned in all my receipts to cover me for $2800.

After they corrected what they had to pay me basing off of 7800lbs they removed the $2800 dollars I required for the move then what was left they taxed me %25 (i believe was in the 20-30percentile range). I ended up only making about $2100 after the move was done and the leftover was taxed. TOTALLY not worth the effort it took me to move that stuff.

BTW my weight limit was 8000lbs as an E-5. I do not have a lot of stuff so 7700lbs shocked me. Im only 22 and this is the stuff my wife and I have accumulated in only 3 years. So plan on needing a tractor trailer if your older have more stuff accumulated, etc.

Hope this helps out on anyone considering a DITY.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

how much do this trailers run to rent?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

My car dolly was roughly $400 for a cross country trip through penske with the military discount. The actual 22 foot truck was 2100 i think (WA to GA, about 2850 miles).

Quick Reply: Towing an F-body w/ rental, any previous experience?