Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Air force members

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:46 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Compstall
If you're single and don't mind being away from home, deployments can make you a lot of extra cash. You can double your monthly income on some deployments.
I've been in Iraq for almost two months and my savings account has just about tripled. So if you want a lot of extra cash, volunteer for all the deployments you can.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only will you make some extra money by deploying, but you get to visit distant exotic lands, meet the indigenous peoples of that land; kill them, and break their ****.

Last edited by Snootch; 11-28-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Money is always nice but remember once you get your degree you are as good as gold when you get out. Well if you decide to use it. Then you can make the good money while everyone else is trying to go to TDY's for cash and some strange piece of ***.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Get your education dont be one of the should have could have crowed that get stuck in the military then get dumped at 20yrs with nothing to fall back on. Oh dont get the wrong impression on me I love TDY's but you gotta know priorities in life.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Excal
I will be flying to Lackland for basic training hopefully in february..

any advice? I plan to use Usaa to buy me a ss/z28 maybe a vette..what's prudent? any jobs i should try to stay away from?
I have no qualms with USAA... been using them for almost 10 years and I use them for just about everything (insurance, loans, VISA, etc).

You may want to re-consider getting a SS/Z28 (especially a Corvette) for a little while. Wait until you see how much your paycheck is going to be first. Airman don't make that much money, also keep in mind insurance. Also find out where you're going to be stationed at first. Don't buy a car while you're in tech school. If you get stationed in Korea, might as well wait until you get back, earn a little more rank, etc.

I'm with most of these other guys... take advantage of the education benefits! You won't find a better deal anywhere else.

As far as jobs... what do you want to do? It's hard for me to suggest something to you without knowing what it is you're interested in doing. Despite what some may say, there are no "****" jobs in the Air Force... it all depends on what you want out of your career. I know some people who love Security Forces... and my wife is a Services troop... and she enjoys her job. Well... maybe not working in the chow hall... but she likes the other areas of Services (lodging, accounting, fitness, etc).

If you came in "Open" just make sure you do the research into your job selections, and choose wisely. Make sure the jobs you pick you're going to be happy with. Not everybody gets screwed into a job they don't like. I went in open Mechanical... and I got my #2 job (Munitions). The only reason I didn't get my #1 job (Nuclear Weapons) is because all the slots were filled with guaranteed jobs.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

I am deployed right now to Diego Garcia. Do a Google search and you will not believe it.
Take my advice also - go to school and have the AF pay for it. You would be wise to stay longer then 4 years to get it done while Uncle Sam still picks up the tab. I got my Master's degree on tuition assistance and it cost me squat. Do you want a high paying job when you get out? Get the Comm slot or go for Air Traffic Control. If you like to wrench - go for A/C Maint as a crew chief. However, without a degree, you will always be limited in what you can make on the outside.
I have 9 years in now - and can stay or go - whatever. But if they keep sending me to tropical islands to sit on the beach and drink beer - I will stay.

Capt R
"Rinky"
Ramstein, Germany
Diego Garcia
1972 Chevelle "LS1"
Old 11-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rinkys
I am deployed right now to Diego Garcia. Do a Google search and you will not believe it.

So, how's the old B.I.O.T. anyways? Have the crabs taken over the island yet? I was there for OEF from Sept-01 thru Mar-02.

Everybody is in a consensus that the education can't be beat! You could even CLEP or DANTES the courses you don't really want to take, too. Like if you're good at Algebra, but don't want to take a math class... just CLEP the test. You only take it once, and if you pass, you get the full credits as if you'd of taken the entire class!

But like I was saying before about job selection... it all depends what you want to do. What may be the worst job in the world to one person... could be the dream job for the next.

Tell us what YOU are interested in or good at... and maybe we can tell you which AFSC would suit you.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what is "tdy"?

as far as the degree.. do you mean going to school part time during my 4 years? what about the GI bill?

If i chose air traffic control, what kind of job would that translate to in the civilian world? airport?

does the AF help you find employment in any way (once you are done)

what's the everyday run down on Munitions? and what kind of career can come out of it?

Basically i would want to come out of the AF in good shape to start a career.

I'm no slouch with computers, but programming, for exampel, i have no experience wouldn't want to flunk out.

also about the deployments...What if i'm stationed overseas straight out of school? is there any difference in pay?

the info is extremely helpful.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:15 PM
Teching In

what's up! A1C Nick Williams here at Beale AFB... getting ready to PCS to Yokota AB, Japan... anyone been stationed there? other than that, i'm HVAC/R (CE)... and dude that's getting ready to go in... try and become a firefighter... they don't do a damn thing and they get a bunch of cool ****... either that or EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal)... they get really cool **** and they get to play with bombs... here at my base they got a ******* Segway... WTF? it's insane... fun to ride, but insane...
Old 11-29-2005, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Since everyone is talking about the airforce experience, basic is one big game that you have to play, end of story. I got there and didnt play for awhile, laughed at everything and anything. I took the brunt of the TI's cracks for my entire dorm b/c i was the only one that would really say anything to them(not to you, dont be that guy).

Now on to usaa. They would not finance my Collectors Edition with 30k miles for $23k. They just would not no matter what. But then 5 months later they re-financed it for a lower interest rate then they were willing to give when i bought it! Go figure. I use them for insurance/loan. Good customer service!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Launching!

what is "tdy"?
TDY is a temporary duty at another location other than your home base. You could, for example, go TDY to Nellis AFB for 3 months for a Red Flag exercise. Or you could go TDY to Tyndall AFB for some kind of training.

as far as the degree.. do you mean going to school part time during my 4 years? what about the GI bill?
You can easily go to school part time while still being active duty. Most jobs will allow you to take a class during duty time. Or if you work an odd shift, you can still go to school in your off-time. Most classes last about an hour or so. Typical college stuff. You don't need to use your GI bill if you're still active duty. Last I checked up on it... the Air Force pays 100% tuition assistance, all you have to pay for are books. Of course if you fail the class you have to pay the Air Force back the tuition assistance.

If i chose air traffic control, what kind of job would that translate to in the civilian world? airport?
I would imagine so. Working air traffic control would land you a job in the control tower, so yeah you could work at a civilian airport when you get out

does the AF help you find employment in any way (once you are done)
When your time is up, and you're doing your "out-processing" from the Air Force, there is a seminar you can take... I think it's called "Crossroads" or something. Anyway, they help you transition back to civilian life. They may not necessarly help you find a job, but they'll teach you skills like how to fill out a resume, etc.

what's the everyday run down on Munitions? and what kind of career can come out of it?
Ahhh... that's MY career field! 2W0X1, Munitions Systems... or AMMO for short. You can read all about it here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airfo...afjob2w0x1.htm

Basically, you can inspect and assemble bombs and missiles, maintain the base's stockpile of small arms and other explosive items, deliver munitions to the flightline, among lots of other things. If you read the link, it's pretty detailed.

I'm no slouch with computers, but programming, for exampel, i have no experience wouldn't want to flunk out.
That's why the Air Force has tech schools... they teach you every little thing you'll need to know. No prior experience necessary. I didn't come into the Air Force knowing how to put a laser guided bomb together, ya know.

also about the deployments...What if i'm stationed overseas straight out of school? is there any difference in pay?
Yes... you make more money overseas, depending on where your stationed. They give you a Cost Of Living Allowance (COLA). Some places make more COLA than others, but regardless you'll make more money overseas than you will stateside that's for sure.

Once we get the word on when Cannon's shutting down, I'm going to try and get an assignment overseas... hopefully Iceland or Italy. Both locations you can get some FAT *** COLA.

Shoot me a PM if you have any more questions... I'll try and help out as much as I can.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JCurtin
Since everyone is talking about the airforce experience, basic is one big game that you have to play, end of story. I got there and didnt play for awhile, laughed at everything and anything. I took the brunt of the TI's cracks for my entire dorm b/c i was the only one that would really say anything to them(not to you, dont be that guy).

Now on to usaa. They would not finance my Collectors Edition with 30k miles for $23k. They just would not no matter what. But then 5 months later they re-financed it for a lower interest rate then they were willing to give when i bought it! Go figure. I use them for insurance/loan. Good customer service!
did usaa give you a reason? IS it because of the price or it simply being used?

any info on bonuses would be appreciated. i'm meeting with my recruiter this week, i'll let you guys know.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man I always hear good things about Diego Garcia. That has to be one of the best deployments ever. Unless you get one of those freak deployments to Australia or Moron, Spain. I'm an E-4 and taking Auto Tech classes for which I pay no more than what I spend for a case of beer. Air Force is good shi+ I think we get treated hella better than other branches. More than likely I'll reup in 2008.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JCurtin

Dont be a wise *** like this guy^^^^^^ I had to talk a Cop out of taking his dumb *** to jail. Remember that, Jay??? When I was TDY to Wright Patt and you were going to that CF class. Dont be a Jay just remember that! Use Jay as a wrong expample he doesnt like authority But when you get some rank later on you will need to be a smart *** or people will run all over you.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rinkys
Take my advice also - go to school and have the AF pay for it. You would be wise to stay longer then 4 years to get it done while Uncle Sam still picks up the tab. I got my Master's degree on tuition assistance and it cost me squat. Do you want a high paying job when you get out? Get the Comm slot or go for Air Traffic Control. If you like to wrench - go for A/C Maint as a crew chief. However, without a degree, you will always be limited in what you can make on the outside.
I have 9 years in now - and can stay or go - whatever. But if they keep sending me to tropical islands to sit on the beach and drink beer - I will stay.

Capt R
"Rinky"
Ramstein, Germany
Diego Garcia
1972 Chevelle "LS1"
Keep your *** out of the water before the sharks bite it off Gone fishing yet?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:42 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_98SS
try and become a firefighter... they don't do a damn thing and they get a bunch of cool ****...
Don't be mad that you picked the wrong career field , just kidding.
He's right we are basically over paid janitors that sit in recliners/watch tv and wait for a run. If you have any qustions about the Firefighting career (FYI-- it is 3E7X1) field just pm me .

Kyle
Old 12-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Don't be mad that you picked the wrong career field , just kidding.
i didn't pick this career... i came in open mechanical ... big mistake... oh well, i'll be making bank when i get out... HVAC/R pays good money on the outside... oh yeah, and dude that's getting ready to go in... try and find a job that doesn't have alot of CDC's... unless you like book work... HVAC has 11 volumes ... it blows ***...
Old 12-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Staging Lane

Long as you dont go into basic with an open General, please dont become security forces. I ended up having to retrain to SF due to me not passing In-Doc training for P'Js. Hopefully at my 3 year mark I can cross train to Command Post. Cops get deployed like anyone other field but its the job that makes the career field sucks. Right now Im in Kirkuk Iraq working in a wood tower throwing candy at little kids
Old 12-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Teching In

Well i will give my 2 cents . If you are going the AIRFORCE for a just to get what you can then don't do it . Because we need good people who want to be here not people who want a job. I have been a recruiter for 4yrs and now im back being a CREWCHEIF The AIR FORCE is a great place to be if you want to belong and belive in what you are doing . IF YOU DONT LIKE YOUR JOB THEN GET OUT!!!!! As a recruiter i put in a 178 kids and never had one come after me with a gun. If you dont want to be a cop when you get to basic tell the job counsler that you dont like guns and that all you have to do.

MY 2 CENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by C-17ss
Well i will give my 2 cents . If you are going the AIRFORCE for a just to get what you can then don't do it . Because we need good people who want to be here not people who want a job. I have been a recruiter for 4yrs and now im back being a CREWCHEIF The AIR FORCE is a great place to be if you want to belong and belive in what you are doing . IF YOU DONT LIKE YOUR JOB THEN GET OUT!!!!! As a recruiter i put in a 178 kids and never had one come after me with a gun. If you dont want to be a cop when you get to basic tell the job counsler that you dont like guns and that all you have to do.

MY 2 CENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't like your job, than you can always cross-train into another career field. It will lengthen the time of your training, and making rank, but at least you will be happier.

Quick Reply: Air force members