Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

your decorations??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
My opinion about awards you don’t think you deserved: Accept them graciously, because there will be 10 other times you should have receive an award where you won’t get anything.
Amen.Very well said.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Got a Good Conduct Medal.

I only count the campaign medals anyway.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
My opinion about awards you don’t think you deserved: Accept them graciously, because there will be 10 other times you should have receive an award where you won’t get anything.
No ****. There was as devil dog who got a Cert Comm yesterday. He started bitching because he thought he deserved a NAM. There was a GySgt who got a NavCom, and if you read his citation it was all for **** I did. Weeks would go by, and I wouldn't see the guy. I was OFP, handling business on my level. He didn't even touch me or my job the whole time. Yet he got a NavCom for my hard work. I got out of there with a second NAM, but you don't see me crying like a girl because I didn't get a NavCom when everyone is telling me I should have gotten one. ****, I know they didn't give me one because I was a Cpl at the time, but a Cpl with under three years and two NAMs? I'm not complaining one bit.

You only get awards if your command likes you. I know some grunts who deserved Bronze Stars but got that **** downgraded to NAMs with Vs. I've been lucky because I've been with good commands. Bad commands, you won't get ****. They'll downgrade your *** in a heartbeat. But like I always tell my Marines, it ain't about what you have on your chest. All that matters if the job that you did, regardless of whether you get recognized with awards.

Here is mine. I'm happy considering I've only been in for three years...

Last edited by ls1z28chris2; 04-02-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

heres mine after six years and four deployments

Last edited by tranzam01; 04-02-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Two top awards I have is two Air Force Commendation Medals, four Air Medals, and one Aerial Achievement Medal.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Five COMs, four NAMs, PUC, four NUCs, five Battle "E"s, GCM w/silver star, Navy Exp, Nat'l Def w/bronze star, GWOTSM, Sea Service w/bronze star, pistol marksman, ballistic missile submarine device w/2 silver stars. And a pair of Dolphins, too.

The awards program is and can be a very subjective process. Outside of actual wartime conditions, most awards are awarded for longevity and/or meritorious service. Another factor is the chain of commands' view on awards overall. Some CO/XO/senior enlisted don't view the awards as something to be given as a reward for good effort, and others do. There is almost nothing you can do about that. I personally think that those senior personnel who are not rewarding their people are doing them a significant disservice, especially when compared to their civilian counterparts who can (and do) receive monetary awards. We can't give money as an award. Therefore, we should be giving awards to people (who rightfully deserve them) to help them get promoted.

Again, they should be given out to those who rightfully deserve them, but they should be given out more often, as I feel that good work often goes unnoticed. Since the awards program is subjective and open to interpretation, many times the award level is determined by CO/XO/DH. The Army and Navy have traditionally been slow to reward enlisted, while the Air Force has been more open. I do see more AF personnel with MSMs than Navy, but that could be just where I was at the time.

Just my .02c.