Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Off to Parris Island

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** thats nada did DEA border patrol in AZ and TX. AZ had some god awful hills to climb, I had a bad experience and went sliding down backwards on my alice pack. Lucky to have only got some bruises and cuts!
Old 04-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was always told there are two types of recruits: strong recruits and smart recruits. I was the smart type. I kept my mouth shut and did what I was told. Other than that, I was a fly on the wall. At the end of training one of my DIs singled me out and told me I didn't do anything exceptionally well or exceptionally bad. What he didn't know is that is the way I wanted it. You should try to be the same way. Some folks will tell you to volunteer for everything and try to stick out as a leader, but they're wrong. Boot camp is nothing. Just get through the damn training and make it to the FMF, then worry about being a leader.

BTW, most of my peers are still LCpls and Cpls, I'm a Sgt. So I think I did well. If this formula worked for me, it can work for you, too.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1z28chris2
BTW, most of my peers are still LCpls and Cpls, I'm a Sgt. So I think I did well. If this formula worked for me, it can work for you, too.

yeah that might work for you. but if this kid wants to be in the 03xx field getting to be a CPL or SGT isn't that easy. all mos's isn't that quick to get promoted. if he don't start to develop his leadership asap then he comes out to the FMF and gets passed up by someone whos actively seeks out leadership roles from the get go. what works for you and the people you worked for doesn't mean it's going to work for him. i was a squad leader in boot camp and a guide in soi. i got to the fleet and was put in charge of a fire team two months later. the six years later i'm a SSgt. so the 03xx field is different and so is all the other mos's. not trying to bash you or anything. just giving my .02c.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackws69
yeah that might work for you. but if this kid wants to be in the 03xx field getting to be a CPL or SGT isn't that easy. all mos's isn't that quick to get promoted. if he don't start to develop his leadership asap then he comes out to the FMF and gets passed up by someone whos actively seeks out leadership roles from the get go. what works for you and the people you worked for doesn't mean it's going to work for him. i was a squad leader in boot camp and a guide in soi. i got to the fleet and was put in charge of a fire team two months later. the six years later i'm a SSgt. so the 03xx field is different and so is all the other mos's. not trying to bash you or anything. just giving my .02c.
Oh, I certainly agree with you about developing a leadership style. A new Marine should be trying to step up and become a leader from the get go. That is vital to becoming a good NCO. But getting BS squad leader and guide billets in boot camp and SOI? Come on, now. From my experience, that doesn't mean much once you're in the FMF. If you're one of those guys in training, and continue to be a good leader in the fleet, then that is a credit to you personally. But for the most part, like I said, getting those billets while you're in training doesn't mean much. If a new boot tells you, you as his SNCOIC, "I was the guide in boot camp," you're probably going to say "noted" and judge him by the performance you see vice what he was credited with in training. Know what I mean?

When I was a LCpl on deployment I was put in a SSgt billet. When I was a Cpl on deployment I was put in a GySgt billet. Both times I rised to the task and got the job done. I take comfort in the fact that I'm judged by my performance on those deployments vice my performance in boot camp and MCT.

Making a name for yourself once you hit the fleet will take you farther than doing so in training. That's all I'm saying.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1z28chris2
Making a name for yourself once you hit the fleet will take you farther than doing so in training. That's all I'm saying.
+1 I cannot believe you guys forgot to mention the Ankle breaker!! Man those hills sucked ***.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by msgZ28
They did all suck ***. The one I was thinking of was the reaper. Out in Okinawa on Hanson you also have porkchop. Not quite the same because you don't hump it but that is a shitty run. Also, in Quantico they have a mean hill that ******* lasts forever not a half mile from the barraks. That is probably the hardest run I have ever done.
Yeah Schwab has some mean fvcking hills. Humped them all the time when we went to the field. I loved running at Quantico when I was at MSG School and when I was stationed there from 99-03.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by CashMoney
I cannot believe you guys forgot to mention the Ankle breaker!!
Wasn't the ankle breaker the back side of the reaper?

Quick Reply: Off to Parris Island