Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Crossed over into the blue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got that much, but what do they do? Are they some kind of special forces or something that their training is so hard?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

from what i heard there the navy seal for the air force. Correct me if im wrong though.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by msgZ28
I got that much, but what do they do? Are they some kind of special forces or something that their training is so hard?
Basically.

Here's the overview from AF.com on the Combat Control Apprentice -

The job of the Combat Control Apprentice is to set up assault zones in remote and sometimes hostile areas. To ensure that you can perform your job anywhere at anytime, you will receive training in precision parachuting, fast roping, rappelling and amphibious techniques. Survival training in various climates enables a Combat Control Apprentice to function under the most demanding conditions. The unique qualifications of Combat Control make them the farthest reaching communications, command and control asset for both ground and aircraft commanders.

Combat Control Officer -

The skies over an assault zone are crowded with multimillion dollar warplanes moving at incredible speeds. As a Combat Control Officer, you will manage to establish air traffic control that will ensure that each plane reaches its target and has a safe path back home afterwards. Some of your day could include any of the following duties: managing day-to-day operations of special tactics teams, advising on combat control and establishing command and control communications within an assault zone.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

God i would love to do that im gonna give it my all and just pray that i can do it.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:42 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Do they have to go through SERE school? I would hate to do that. I am even thinking of going out for recon/force recon when I get back, just for the hell of it. SERE training is the one thing making me stop and think harder on that.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

One of my roomates is CCT. He loves it. you may also want to think about going TAC P there jobs are a bit similar. They both have to go through SERE training but if you do become a gunner you will have to go through it too.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Yes they have to go through SERE training when i went my roomate was a Combat Controler, Only differance between there SERE training and mine is they get the EXTENDED/Advanced training. Yes it sucks bad but i cant discuss it with you due to the training its self being classified secret. SERE Sucked but in the end it was worth it!!!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Teching In

The only reason our basic training was so short is because we didnt spend 2 weeks learning how to tie our boots, that was a pre -req in the AF. I hope you can swim and do the other stuff if you want to be SERE or CCT. They will (or used to) come and talk to you during basic and if you are interested they will take you for a PT test. I tried out for it but i cant swim worth a damn, so that was out. Good luck in the AF, i love it. Dont worry about all the haters on here, while i was in my own room and having my own CLEAN bathroom in the dessert, everyone else was in a tent. Quality of life is pretty sweet.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:42 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by PotentialZ28
Quality of life is pretty sweet.
always nice to get substandard living pay when your on an army base too.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Have fun in basic I just graduated last friday, now I'm sittin here at SAFB waiting to start school tommorrow. And remember a basic dont let the TI's yelling at you get to you. Oh yeah and roll and shirt hella tight
Old 04-16-2006, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brodkill
Have fun in basic I just graduated last friday, now I'm sittin here at SAFB waiting to start school tommorrow. And remember a basic dont let the TI's yelling at you get to you. Oh yeah and roll and shirt hella tight
Whats your job? Is it true that you can't smoke at Sheppard anymore? I heard people went off base to smoke. Well for the trainee's atleast. **** that noise.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Also to all you others! The AF rocks man but you do get spoiled. I got put in a hotel out in BFE England once because the hotel right off base was sub USAF standard at the time. One thing sucks is that I heard that we have to use PT gear if we are not using our DCU's in the desert. **** that man. I havent been to the desert in a long time almost 2 years. So I dunno how that is going along. Dont get me wrong though I have had my fair share of time in the sand. Im a RC-135 crew chief and we go there all the time even more before the stupid AEF BS. But I guess its not the same type of desert where you guys get paid the same as me to get shot at. I still respect what you guys do though
Old 04-16-2006, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Yeah you have to smoke off base, doesnt matter to me since I dont smoke =p, I did see a red GTO here on base yesterday, sounded good, had some different rims on it as well. And my job is tactical aircraft maint apprentice, on the U2, so I goto Biele soon.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
Also to all you others! The AF rocks man but you do get spoiled. I got put in a hotel out in BFE England once because the hotel right off base was sub USAF standard at the time. One thing sucks is that I heard that we have to use PT gear if we are not using our DCU's in the desert. **** that man. I havent been to the desert in a long time almost 2 years. So I dunno how that is going along. Dont get me wrong though I have had my fair share of time in the sand. Im a RC-135 crew chief and we go there all the time even more before the stupid AEF BS. But I guess its not the same type of desert where you guys get paid the same as me to get shot at. I still respect what you guys do though

Yup..... Either DCU's or the new PT gear which is nothin but some blue plastic with the Air force emblem on it....
Old 04-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BDHWK
Sleep in until about 0900, buffet breakfast, arts and crafts, picnic lunch, mid afternoon nap, then a movie and popcorn and then sleepy time. That should cover it.
Hold on there Bud. First of all popcorn night is only once a week, and if you could have scored better on the ASVAB maybe you could go Blue.

I've worked with a lot of different folks during my 20 years in the Air Force. Watched a few of them die. Some of the life lessons I've learned....

1. Just because they aren't shooting at you, they still probably aren't your friends.

2. Every branch of the service has its lazy folks

3. Never, ever volunteer for recovery duty.

4. Talk in simple sentences when dealing with the Army.

5. Talk in incoherent sentences when dealing with the Marines.

6. Talk in Spanish when dealing with the Navy.

7. Army MP's have their M9s tethered to their holsters (ha ha)

8. They accept my checks downtown.

9. 1 beer every how many days as sea?

10. USAF, where a beret still means something.

11. Scariest people I've ever worked with: Sayeret Shaldag

12. Most worthless: Secret Service @ the Dayton Peace Talks.

PotentialZ28
"while i was in my own room and having my own CLEAN bathroom in the dessert, everyone else was in a tent. Quality of life is pretty sweet."

WTF is a tent. They gave me a shovel and some sand bags. Hey, if you can't Lick'em then GLCM.

We're all on the same team, and busting on each other is part of it. If you can't take the joke, oh well.

How does the Army tell time.

It's 1400 hrs

How does the Navy tell time.

It's 4 bells

How does the Air Force tell time.

It's 2 o'clock

How do the Marines tell time.

Mickey's big hand is on the 12 and his little hand is on the 2
Old 04-17-2006, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

Hey you forgot in the AF we send our Officers out to the war zone. I dont think they do that in the other branches well maybe Navy. Well thats the way that I see it being a crew chief. Salute wave bye bye hope they come back.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah you have to smoke off base, doesnt matter to me since I dont smoke =p, I did see a red GTO here on base yesterday, sounded good, had some different rims on it as well. And my job is tactical aircraft maint apprentice, on the U2, so I goto Biele soon.
Hey if you get the chance go to Cyprus! Good times there!!! You can go there!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Originally Posted by my67falcon
Hold on there Bud. First of all popcorn night is only once a week, and if you could have scored better on the ASVAB maybe you could go Blue.
I've worked with a lot of different folks during my 20 years in the Air Force. Watched a few of them die. Some of the life lessons I've learned....
1. Just because they aren't shooting at you, they still probably aren't your friends.
2. Every branch of the service has its lazy folks
3. Never, ever volunteer for recovery duty.
4. Talk in simple sentences when dealing with the Army.
5. Talk in incoherent sentences when dealing with the Marines.
6. Talk in Spanish when dealing with the Navy.
7. Army MP's have their M9s tethered to their holsters (ha ha)
8. They accept my checks downtown.
9. 1 beer every how many days as sea?
10. USAF, where a beret still means something.
11. Scariest people I've ever worked with: Sayeret Shaldag
12. Most worthless: Secret Service @ the Dayton Peace Talks.
PotentialZ28
"while i was in my own room and having my own CLEAN bathroom in the dessert, everyone else was in a tent. Quality of life is pretty sweet."
WTF is a tent. They gave me a shovel and some sand bags. Hey, if you can't Lick'em then GLCM.
We're all on the same team, and busting on each other is part of it. If you can't take the joke, oh well.
How does the Army tell time.
It's 1400 hrs
How does the Navy tell time.
It's 4 bells
How does the Air Force tell time.
It's 2 o'clock
How do the Marines tell time.
Mickey's big hand is on the 12 and his little hand is on the 2

One thing though, I scored a 99 on my asvab, with a 127 GT. Not all Marines are stupid.

Well, I still signed up so maybe I just got lucky or they switched the tests or something.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Have fun man in Cali while it lasts! Before long you'll be in the desert doing your 1 yr deployment. The cool part is they combined our fields (myself being a F-15 Crewchief here at RAF Lakenheath) so now you can be a U-2, F-16, F-15, A-10, F-117 or UAV crewchief. UAV would be the worst. They are the LDHD along with the U-2 so they are always deployed. My buddy is a UAV Crewchief and his is on his 4th deployment in 3 years to the sunny skies of Iraq! But man is that **** rich! Good luck!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Teching In

Well coming from a USAF, TACP (you can tell a tacp by there black beret.) I can tell you this much. basic aint fun, its not at all physical demanding, but it does suck, now after basic you will do water survival wich i heard was a blast, and then you will go to survival school wich all flying personal and all special operations carrer fields attend. after that i have no clue got that info from a guy trying to be aireal gunner but frecked out at survival school. you will have to excuse my spelling, good thing calling in cas dosent require me to spell. good luck to you!!!
My cars...
1999 Z28, black ,M6
2006 vette ,black, M6, Z51,loaded .... thats how we roll

Sra Mitchell
USAF,TACP
DEATH ON CALL

Last edited by TacpMitch; 05-02-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Crossed over into the blue.