I am not in the air force but it should be a 1.5 mile
Old 04-10-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Yeah, 1.5 miles.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Anything you can do to increase your strength and muscular endurance will help you with push-ups and sit-ups.

The guy that's having troubles with sit-ups, do lots of lower ab stuff in a 8-minute fashion. Things like leg raises, flutter kicks, etc. If it burns your lower ab/top of your thigh you're doing it right

With my section every other day we all circle up and then I call on folks and they pick the next exercise. If it's push-ups we do to a #, if it's an ab thing we do it for a minute straight. There's 26 in the section, so when we're done folks are crawling to their cars. PT scores went WAY up this last test because 1) people are having fun at PT and thus getting more out of it and 2) we're smoking ourselves differently every day so there's virtually no way for our muscles to 'get used' to the workout and cause us to plateau.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CamTom12
Anything you can do to increase your strength and muscular endurance will help you with push-ups and sit-ups.

The guy that's having troubles with sit-ups, do lots of lower ab stuff in a 8-minute fashion. Things like leg raises, flutter kicks, etc. If it burns your lower ab/top of your thigh you're doing it right

With my section every other day we all circle up and then I call on folks and they pick the next exercise. If it's push-ups we do to a #, if it's an ab thing we do it for a minute straight. There's 26 in the section, so when we're done folks are crawling to their cars. PT scores went WAY up this last test because 1) people are having fun at PT and thus getting more out of it and 2) we're smoking ourselves differently every day so there's virtually no way for our muscles to 'get used' to the workout and cause us to plateau.

Thats what I was going to say.. Flutter Kicks, Hello Dollies, Leg lifts.. All that helps out alot..
Old 04-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are hello dollies?
Old 04-13-2006, 04:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransAm12sec
What are hello dollies?
start off in the flutter kick position(hands under butt, legs straight, and feet six inches off the ground), then spread your legs and bring them back to the middle. repeat as needed.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

somethin that helped me with my ab work was doin the crunches using the machine - for the guy who said he doesnt like the weights, this wuld probably yield the quickest results. when training, always shoot high - you'll surprise urself when its test time. otherwise, i'd just advise u to aim for about 90 situps each day (3 sets of 30), then work ur way up to 150 a day, and so on. dont forget ur obliques. i usually just stand up straight, grab a 45lb in one hand, let it drop straight down one side, then dip to that side 15 times, then switch hands/sides and repeat.

anyone got good techniques to improve long-distance running times? running a 10min 1 1/2mi., just tryin to get it better.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:26 AM
12 Second Club

Running techniques?

Ummm, just do it?

Seriously though, for such a short event (don't take that the wrong way, ours is only 2mi. Short event = less than 10k) make sure you get plenty of speed workouts, but not too many (I'd say one a week at most if you're running 3 days a week. 2 at most for 5 days a week). Things like intervals work the best, where your body never really stops. For the remaining run days make them all distance and vary your pace. Harder paces will help you improve but don't forget the most important pace, LSD (long slow distance). I've seen so many guys burn out because they don't realize the importance of recovery runs in a training schedule. Hope that helps!
Old 04-13-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

hrmm... guess i've always said "screw it" to the warm-up/cool-down paces. lol always thought they were useless an that only pansies need to do 'em. sigh...guess ill be a pansy

i really hate running.

speed workouts? u mean, like sprinting the straights, jogging the curves, for..say...6 laps? for my running days, though, i generally run between 1 to 1.5 miles, at a pace of about 9mph (on the treadmill) - usually the 1 1/2mi. days are on tues. when im required to run with the flight and on fri. when i run with the squadron.

also...i know i sound...feminine, but dammit, sometimes i feel fat before i run..an that impacts/degrades my running performance just feel useless like that... is it because sometimes i dont eat at least an hour beforehand? i work nights an my job can be hectic at times, not allowing me the time to eat meals at certain intervals (usually try to eat somethin every 2 1/2 - 3 hours). so is the lack of food all of a sudden makin me feel fat before i run???
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 AM
NKAWTG...N

ya running sucks, but i'm not close to failing that.

I <3 situps, I've never failed to max them. Situps and waist measurement keep my PT score close to exellent, I'm usually just a tenth short of 90's.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Camaroguy: You need to be running longer distance than you run. if your PT test is a 1.5mi run, I'd suggest 2-3mi for a regular day and up to 4 for a long day. If it doesn's make sense now, just do it for a while then give yourself a diagnostic PT test run and let me know how it goes

As far as feeling fat before a run goes, it's certainly not the lack of food. I like to run on an empty or near-empty stomach so I don't have a lot of stuff sloshing around down there. It sounds like a mental thing and in that case the best I can tell you is deal with it and drive on. As your running continues and your fitness level increases I'll bet it goes away

Your interval example would be a good place to start. Once a month to once a month and a half I'd try to increase it someway, like adding another lap, or running straights and curve, walking straight and curve, etc. The keys to becoming a better runner are 1) doing it. Run regularly. and 2) pushing yourself.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, well, i guess ill have to try that then. ugh...i really dont wanna run 2mi.

thanks for the help tho!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to increase push-ups...the juice...and, I'm not talking nitrous!
Old 04-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Restricted User

This **** is funny to read.

Stoleit, first and foremost, why train for an event? Train daily, and once your goals are reached you maintain...usually 4-5 times a week works for maintenance.

Some of the advice already given I've seen work...
Weight training, if you dont think it will work answer this: WTF are you doing when you do pushups? Your pushing 67% +/- of your bodyweight! Concentrate on endurance, less wt/more reps.
Pushups, close hand and wide arm, vary the muscles used. Place hands even with shoulder, behind and in front as well, varying not only the 3 different heads of the tricep, but focus on the chest and lats some.
Look at the horizon while doing pushups, helps to keep the body straight.
Do upside down pushups, helped me greatly.
FWIW, I do on average, 82 pushups in about 50seconds. Yes, they are legit, and did the same at every school, including NCOES' I've been too.

As for the run..I do better when I dont run except for APFT's. Let me not have to run for 3months give me a APFT and leave me alone for a while again. Always ran my 97-100pts that way.

Good luck with it. Building your bodies endurance is like building your car, what works for some doesnt work for others, find what your body responds to and tear it up.

Quick Reply: best way to improve pushups?