Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Is the Army going soft.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:38 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is worse than I ever thought it could be. I feel sorry for you and for the army. Hope it gets better for you soon. Why can't people realise that being so lenient is going to get those young men killed in a fight? Being lenient can do nothing good for those recruits.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Same comment. Smoking inside - wtf. You should call in an order for pizza and prostitutes.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

That was priceless.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

I have a hard time just because I did 10 years in the Corps and known to be one of the hardest Drill Sergeants in the Company. They can change ****, but I can always find other ways to go around that and still be effective.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Maybe you guys didn't notice, but they're not exactly beating down the doors at the ARMY recruiting stations.

I have no problem with people in the military complaining that they had it harder than the next generation. I'm sure American Revolution veterans thought that the guys fighting in the war of 1812 had it tough "I remember when we didn't even have tents at valley forge". I would love to see some of you former drill sergeants with nothing on your right shoulder tell an e-4 with 2 different combat patches that you had it harder than he did. People that haven't served in the military; You need to sign your name on the dotted line or be quiet. Most of the people going through boot camp will be in Iraq within 6 months.

Last edited by Honda Nick; 04-12-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree 100% but its still BS that theyre getting soft^^^
Old 04-12-2006, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Honda Nick
Maybe you guys didn't notice, but they're not exactly beating down the doors at the ARMY recruiting stations.

I have no problem with people in the military complaining that they had it harder than the next generation. I'm sure American Revolution veterans thought that the guys fighting in the war of 1812 had it tough "I remember when we didn't even have tents at valley forge". I would love to see some of you former drill sergeants with nothing on your right shoulder tell an e-4 with 2 different combat patches that you had it harder than he did. People that haven't served in the military; You need to sign your name on the dotted line or be quiet. Most of the people going through boot camp will be in Iraq within 6 months.
I've seen plenty of combat in my two tours of Iraq so I don't really know what your trying to say. As stated before, making boot camp this relaxed and soft means you're putting undisciplined Marines/Soliders in harms way. I've seen some of the boots treat being in Iraq as if it's no big deal.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This scares me! I went to Paris Island 3/12/93, I got hit several times, swore at, racial remarks(WOP) , we once had to go into the showers and pt while they poured bleach and several other cleaning products. Many nights with less than 8 hours of the rack, **** sometimes I was happy to see 4.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Dgen , thanks for serving!!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SmokeShow99SS
man this gives us AF guys some hope

As much as I hate to say it, you're right.
Good thing I ETS in 20 days!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

i went through OSUT in '01 and it was a lot easier than I expected. Downtime in the evenings, and even had most sundays off after the first 7 weeks or so. We had some E7 DSs that had been to the Gulf, and a few DSs that were from the old school army, and didn't put up with anything. Others let their troops have pillow fights

I was disappointed with OSUT to say the least.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Truck addict

it's called iraq. no one wants to join because of it. i work with the recruiters and thats all they hear. do i have to go to iraq?
Old 04-12-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97blkz
we once had to go into the showers and pt while they poured bleach and several other cleaning products.
Damn.

Family member of mine went to 'Nam as a Marine and he wouldn't really describe his boot camp to me but mentioned he got beat up by his Drill Instructors because he got caught hiding candy for a buddy. Said it screwed up his back for a while but he never described the event further than what I've said.

Anyhow, I find it good that our military training isn't like one of those videos from Russia where the trainers line up all the trainees and then jump-kick them in the chest. On the other hand, the leniency stuff is getting outta control.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I would love to see some of you former drill sergeants with nothing on your right shoulder tell an e-4 with 2 different combat patches that you had it harder than he did.
I've had something on my right shoulder for many years, and added to it a few times, so I guess I'm good. But what the hell are you talking about? I thought we were talking about basic training
Old 04-12-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by goshawk23
it's called iraq. no one wants to join because of it. i work with the recruiters and thats all they hear.
If you work with recruiters then you know the Army is meeting it's recruiting goals.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

So Active Duty Army is meeting the goals? I was wondering if the Guard was having trouble as they've got a campaign (GRAP) to give a soldier $2000 for each recruit they get to enlist and ship to BCT.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

I would love to see some of you former drill sergeants with nothing on your right shoulder tell an e-4 with 2 different combat patches that you had it harder than he did.
I got a question. I don't know about the army, but we don't wear anything on our right shoulder. With the exception of 5th and 6th Marines (Man I hope that's right), we don't wear anything on either shoulder. Does the army wear campaign ribbons or combat action ribbons or whatever equivalent on their shoulder? Just curious.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by msgZ28
I got a question. I don't know about the army, but we don't wear anything on our right shoulder. With the exception of 5th and 6th Marines (Man I hope that's right), we don't wear anything on either shoulder. Does the army wear campaign ribbons or combat action ribbons or whatever equivalent on their shoulder? Just curious.
On the right shoulder the "I was there" combat patch is worn. That is the patch of the unit that one went to combat with. Don't mean they actually fought the enemy, but it means they depolyed to a combat zone.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

You know the debate about the Army being soft is retarted. Every older soldier out there will say that "the army is getting softer and its gonna cause nothing but bad things". The senior people have been saying this **** forever. Your seniors said the same damn thing about when you went through training and you turned out ok didnt you?? So step off the high horse for a minute and realize that these things have been said forever and the soldiers that you are talking about now will say the same thing in a few years when they see new recruits going through. I dont know what the big fuss is about because today our military if more effective than it has ever been.

IMO though the Army was the easiest job I ever had. The screwed up part is that even the permanent units let the shitbags stay in, instead of just throwing them out. I know so many soldiers that smoked dope, got caught multiple times, and were allowed to stay in. So yeah i guess the army is kinda soft.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Guess , this just means the Army needs to purchase more bodybags !!!!!

Quick Reply: Is the Army going soft.