Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Is the Army going soft.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DGEN411
I just saw a news report that was showing the new army bootcamp. No yelling, 8 hours of sleep, all the food they can eat, CELL PHONES? They lowered the Physical fitness requirment. I know I can't believe everything but somethings going on.

i just got out of BCT and i can tell you from experience, it is soft, to and extent.

when i wnet throught we werent alowned any electronics at all. and there was yelling. but they cant touch us, no running in boots. other than that, smokings lasting up to 7 hrs (of wich i did do) and some other "unmentionable" did happen.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
So you have firsthand knowledge of recrutis being allowed to use cell phones and that type of ****??? It is kinda hard to believe that it has went so far in the last few years.

I went though and my wife went through and neither of us saw cellphones and we ran in boots as well. One girl who was in medical hold was sent home because she had candy in her locker, first time offense. I could imagine a cell phone.

Of course that was the Air Force.

They also increased the fitness standards since I was in.
old requirements for men
push ups 32
sit-ups 55
2 miles 17:00 it was (2 miles in 22 minutes for females)

new for girls
push ups 32
sit-ups 55
1.5 miles 13.58

I REALLY think I am off on the girls push-ups though, it used to be 17 in 2 minutes when I was in.

Now if you can't do your run you have to keep on doing it, you have 3 weeks to do it or you are booted out (you have 2 extra weeks if you beg to stay in). They have tracking devices that prove you actually ran the 1.5 miles so you can't cheat like you used to, and boy did they used to cheat.

They I think they have upped the duration to 8 weeks, but they may be in this summer.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

For what age group? Tracking devices wtf? How about being supervised on a track.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SmokeySS
For what age group? Tracking devices wtf? How about being supervised on a track.
Supervisors lie to get the trainee to pass, it was RAPANT when I was in (did I spell that right?).

People who couldn't run more than 4 laps in the 2 mile were passing, it was amazing how all the re-tries all had 18 minutes as their finishing time. Also TI's AND section supervisor's would add a lap. Trainees don't have much of a chance to lie, I mean do you think that they just let them go out to the track by themselves and run around in a circle then come back in and tell the TI their time?

TI's and SS's were pushing them through so that the USAF could save cash on BMT training instead of sticking 15-25 trainees out of every female flight in the fit-flight for 1-3 weeks, I have no idea what the average fail rate was for men while she was in was but she was stuck with the fit flighters due to cracking her ankle, she had over 17 minutes in the 1.5 mile waited 1 weekend without using her leg then suddenly dropped 4 minutes... gee make someone with a wrecked ankle run...

Tech School and testing while you are permanent party was the big thing (since the bike test was changed) for making them healthy when I was in but they ramped up basic too. I have no idea how permanent party works though in reality, I got out right when it started and I was on the "green" whatever level and I didn't have to work out with the rest of the guys. I actually had one of the highest bike test results at my base, it was a pathetic 50 too, Space Command is just that wimpy/lazy. Plus working 2 mornings, 2 swings, and 2 midnight shifts then 4 days off kinda makes it hard to get a good workout routine going.

As for no yelling my wife went though 2 beds due to her TI throwing them at her neighbor and had to have the door on her wall locker replaced when she left her toothpaste in her security drawer. He punched it right next to her head to "get her attention"and dented the metal enough for it to be unable to close afterward.

Plus I thought the Army only got rid of the yelling when you first got off the bus (shark pit something they call it?) and then they started yelling afterwards.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5150Z28
They hit us, cussed us out, called us every name in the book. I hated it at first, but towards the end I realized they were doing us a favor by weeding out the recruits that couldn't hack it. Doing what they did probably saved a few lives.
Our favorite name to be called was @ss felcher...

It didn't dawn on me until later what it meant to be a "felcher" or to "felch"

link: http://www.turdwords.com/viewword.cfm?wordID=40
Old 05-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
... I thought the Army only got rid of the yelling when you first got off the bus (shark pit something they call it?) and then they started yelling afterwards.
i just graduated (5 may) from IET (inital entrance training); consisting of basic and AIT or tech school.

they do yell, but not as much. but then again that was only in basic. and considering that i went through fort knox, ( im not shure that the DS there have gotten the memo about the "softer army") i did do combatives against some DS, got smoked for 7hrs, and im an expert at the high and low crawl. AIT was a different story, and i think that is because of the co-ed training. getting smoked was in the front leaning rest for 5 mins and 10 push ups, thats it. no yelling. but there was a lot more field grade article 15s issued.

the PT scores havent lowered. i have to do 42 push up in 2mins, 53 sit ups in 2mins, and run 2 miles in 15:45. but getting a PT patch is 100 promotion points. i know that right now im doing 103 push ups, 95 sit ups and running a 12:50. but thats because i pushed my self. when i came in i was only doing 30 push ups, 35 sit ups, and 18 flat 2 miles. and that kind of improvement in 4 months is not bad.

as far as the cell phones, i never saw mine till the 3rd week of AIT, and you still have to pass all your tests and stay out of trouble. you couldent use it in the barracks, couldent charge it in the barracks, and had to use it on personal time(1hr before lights out), and thats if the DS on CQ lets you. im an 88M(truck driver), we were not alowed electronics on the pad, in the trucks, and the same rules applied for tobacco. and the worst of em all was that no matter your age, you werent "allowed" to drink on your weekend pass.

so that was my experience with it.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by US ARMY LS1
i i have to do 42 push up in 2mins, 53 sit ups in 2mins, and run 2 miles in 15:45. but getting a PT patch is 100 promotion points. .
Who the hell told you this??? I had my patch for years and it aint worth ****. You get promotion points no matter what your PT score is as long as you pass it. The higher you score, the more points you get, the max being 100 pts for a score of 300. The patch means nothing, I never even wore it because I think people that flaunt their stupid patches and badges are But Im not the type to like to try to show off and act like Im better than everyone else cause I have a dumb patch. They're are too many of those type in the military.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brad8266
Who the hell told you this??? I had my patch for years and it aint worth ****. You get promotion points no matter what your PT score is as long as you pass it. The higher you score, the more points you get, the max being 100 pts for a score of 300. The patch means nothing, I never even wore it because I think people that flaunt their stupid patches and badges are But Im not the type to like to try to show off and act like Im better than everyone else cause I have a dumb patch. They're are too many of those type in the military.
hey, call me a ***! what ever dude. i was not flaunting it. just giving a refrence to what a score of 260ish(again, not flaunting, just giving a round about at to what the army expects from their soldiers) and what the promotion points are for that. and congrads about the patch! you have been in longer than i(4 months) so all i konw it the training enviornment. they push the PT patch like its god.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

hey, call me a ***! what ever dude. i was not flaunting it. just giving a refrence to what a score of 260ish(again, not flaunting, just giving a round about at to what the army expects from their soldiers) and what the promotion points are for that. and congrads about the patch! you have been in longer than i(4 months) so all i konw it the training enviornment. they push the PT patch like its god.
A score of 260 does not get you 100 promotion points. You have to get a 300 to get the 100 points. Ahh it gets better when you get to your unit. To each his own but i never wore the hooah patches if I didnt have to, they are just more **** to get sewn on the uniform. Not trying to rag on ya too much, especuially since you are new to the military.

I read your racing thread about the IS300, you got a nice ride man.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Teching In

my 260 did not gain me 100 points. what i was saying was tht in the training enviornment, they push so hard for you to score a 300 because of the 100 promo. points. im and 88M10 so ranking up is only 350 points.

thank you. the cars is my pride and joy. in stead of spending my money on booz, i'ed rather spend it on my car and my tatoos.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

my 260 did not gain me 100 points. what i was saying was tht in the training enviornment, they push so hard for you to score a 300 because of the 100 promo. points. im and 88M10 so ranking up is only 350 points.

thank you. the cars is my pride and joy. in stead of spending my money on booz, i'ed rather spend it on my car and my tatoos.
350 can be had by a half *** Pt test, half *** rifle scores, commanders poitns and board points alone.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Teching In

i know. you basicly have to be alive and breathing and you get 350. but i would like to rack up as many points as i can early in the running. i want to fast track through the ranks.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know. you basicly have to be alive and breathing and you get 350. but i would like to rack up as many points as i can early in the running. i want to fast track through the ranks.

Make sure you learn how to be a leader as well....
Old 05-13-2006, 02:22 AM
Teching In

well thats a given
Old 05-14-2006, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not always....some people just don't have the ability.....
Old 05-15-2006, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

man what the hell hahah I went through fort benning in the summer of 03 the drills hit us, screamed at us, cussed us constantly. one of the drills even threw a kid to the ground and threatened to kill him by choking him with the american flag lol. this was of course a all male basic training. instead of rasict names they called everyone gay and **** and cracked jokes about peoples sexuallity lol.

then i went to relaxin jackson and it certaintly was. instead of gettign smoked for 3+ hours we would have to do like 20 push ups, what a joke

edit

oh yea i never saw a cell phone, or any kind of electronic device, we were allowed one, one minuet phone call, we had 30 second shower drills, and they would put out dessert for us, but we were not allowed to take it...we could only look at it anytime we had a helmet on the drills would give us a butstroke to the head, we got woke up in the middle of the night for PT and other fun activitys at around one at night. and at night was the only time we could do our laundry.

Last edited by markp03; 05-15-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Reserve Wife posting...(you were warned)
MOS: PSYOPS, E6, 1 year in the stan working with SF at the 11,000 ft level (2004)
Navy 90-98', out, re-upped AR 01'
Extending contract to hit 20 years

If it weren't for the 'older' guys that were in the gulf average age 35 and knew better they all would have been dead from the newbies rotating in his unit. Soft is not the word for it. WUSSIES would apply until the first time that mortar went buzzing over their head by inches. "Hey, that sounds just like it does in the movies!" SPC didn't know how to pull the pin to get the turret to rotate. Try yelling directions from the ground over that when being mortared at night. Husband yelled "Yep! Its like the movies except if you don't listen to me NOW we'll all be dead".

Same SPC couldn't haul his ruc up 3,000 ft. Husband had spent every day pre-deploy running 7 miles with a back pack loaded with 2 bags of cement so he hauled both up the mountain with 15 years on this guy in age.
He has made sure the PT's are the old one, not the 'new' one which is shorter and less all around to get points. Chain asked why they did that. Go figure pencil pusher!
There is more but it seems the older guys are sticking to the yelling, no smoking, no cell phones, no internet, no iPods, no portable DVD players because I sent a twelve pack of playing cards every month during deploy. He also needed more pens and note pads because he still wrote all his reports instead of trying to use the computer. He knew the lines didn't always hold up but a pilot in a hawk *will* get it there.
I had to say "What?!" when at Baghram he said how "goofy" the Marines were. "They couldn't find their *** with both hands and directions, they can't even find the mess hall right now". That is not a good thing.

Here is how soft the Army is getting: son's friend who has history of left shoulder dislocating is sent to boot. He not only ripped the tendons in that shoulder doing push ups, he then walks in the shower room, slips and falls breaking his ankle (not intentional). THEY KEPT HIM IN TO FINISH BY PUTTING HIM IN ARMORY. Until he healed of course and gave him the option to stay or leave. Lucky for all of us he left.

Unless you went through the "old style" boot camp, you might as well join the NG and go guard the border or give food and water to hurricane people in Florida or Louisiana.
The AF is the worst - I knew enough of them to hear how they complained how they didn't have enough CD's or had to wait to get to a computer to spend time sending email, updating blogs or playing games. They complained about *everything* except the pilots. For some reason they take their job seriously at all times.

My 2¢ and you can get change back if you want
Old 05-21-2006, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

That's BS! When i went through basic we were lucky if we got an hour of sleep.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
All from what they have told me is that the Boot camps have changed over the last 50 years, back when My dad & my uncle joined up the DS were allowed to push you & smack you down, not any more. They were allowed to call you Racist names not anymore, They were allowed to let you go with out sleep & Limit you to a few bits of food a day Not anymore.
When I was in the Marines they still beat the **** out of you and deprived you of sleep and food (not just the crucible) and that was back in 02. Sucks to hear they are going soft. I am actually going into the Air National Guard now and don't have to do any time of boot camp or MCT for them because I have done it already for the Marines.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Isn't it wonderful not to have to do that crap since you were in the Marines? The other services have to go through our boot camp and mct if they decide to change, if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply: Is the Army going soft.