Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Airforce advise/experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 05:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here lets make this simple dont do it. you have to much school to decide to join the AF. let me put it like this your going to be making 300 bucks a week for the first 2 years unless your married. and then you can stay off base and make 550 a week. its not worth it.

now im not saying the AF is bad i enjoy it 90% of the time. great benefits, 30 days a year of paid vacation. but unlike you i had no way to pay for school so i had to do something so i joined. was it a mistake no but will i reinlist probable not.

if i was you i would FINISH school. make more money.

oh and you might get stuck somewhere that you hate and can do nothing about and get stuck there your whole enlistment. something else to think about.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by whiteLS1
oh and you might get stuck somewhere that you hate and can do nothing about and get stuck there your whole enlistment. something else to think about.
X2. I've been in GA for 4 yrs (will be 5 by the time i get out). Same place, unit, people, deployments. It's like groundhog day. 1,400+ hrs in the same plane, over the same places.

My first recommendation to anyone is finish school if at all possible, then come in as an officer. If you can finish a four year degree, you're selling yourself short to come in enlisted. The pay will kill you the first three years. It wasn't till i pinned on E-4 that i started to get some breathing room.

It's not a bad way of life, just think it over. I don't like to see people that are capable of finishing a degree bail and enlist...that was about 50% of my basic flight (anywhere from one semester down to a complete degree). If you want to join for the right reasons...have at it...we'd be happy to have you.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

making rank does kinda suck, but some of it depends on when you come in, and when you sewed on. i got lucky and sewed on a month before the cutoff (jan 31st) so i tested my first year of having e-4 on, and made e-5 and had it on before my 4 year mark. granted, it was only 1 month prior, but still, it was before my 4 year mark, and before i was 21. the thing that sucks is i wont test for e-6 for 2 more years still because of the way the cutoff is, i miss it by a few months, but ill be lucky as h#ll if i make that the first time too.

oh, and ive been stationed at luke (phoenix) for 4 years now. we dont do crap from here, so ive been stuck here, doing the same thing, day in and day out. part of the reason im stuck here is cause of my wife.lol. shes AD AF also, and the bases we can go to together are kinda limited, but even when there was openings at other places, we still got stuck here
Old 05-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Teching In

I'm an E4 SrA made the BTZ and just tested for E5. First thing is first find someone who is doing your job and talk to them. No matter what don’t enlist for 6 years, my roommate chose to enlist for 6 years for a 4K sign on bonus HUGE mistake.

I did alot of research before I joined and found that pretty much the best jobs in the Air Force are flying jobs. I decided on Boom-operator or Load-master. I waited 3 months at home after MEPS before my recruiter called and said I got a job as a load-master!!!

Man I was excited and used that one month before I shipped out to basic to my advantage. I talked to 3 active loads one on C-17's, one on C-5's, one on C-130's.
The advice you'll get from someone already doing your job is 100% crucial.

I decided to go C-5's for a couple of reasons. We don’t deploy at all. We are gone for 2 weeks at a time and are back home. C-17's & C-130's are gone for 4 to 6 months at a time hanging out in the desert.
The other reason the C-5 is a cash plane, meaning we stay at 5 star hotels, and make great per-diem no matter where we go.

I've been to over 40 different countries and I have touched in one way other almost all 50 states while I've been in.

My 4 years is up in December and while its been a good ride I'm ready to get out. There is BS with any job you decide on, however for me it has more to do with money. I have finished my AA & BS while I've been in so I'm looking to move forward and find some better pay.

If you want any more information on the flying side shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to give you a call and discuss any questions you might have.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sgt0704
IT'S all up to what you're looking for. i'm in the Marines, and i was stationed at Keesler AFB for about a year. the promotions are retartedly slow. unless you're super **** hot. and from what i've gathered, it's still a pain in the ***. as someone stated earlier, most people don't pin on ssgt under five years, that's rediculous. in the Corps we have some jobs that promote faster than others, but general pick up time for e-6 is 8 yrs or so.
Yea the promotions in AF are pretty stupid. I made TSgt (E-6) on my first try and I only had in 8.5 years when I pinned on and that **** was a phenomenom! So testing for E-7 (MSgt) and being in for less than 11 years is unheard of. I know some people who are already E-7s and have less than 11 years TIS. In the AF thats some TOP FLIGHT ****! At least the other services respect rank!!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Daniel! all i can say is go for it!!!...the AF has the best housing and jobs ( i think) in any of the services, if i had a chance to do it over, i would have done that.

As long as you get what you want and they should let you in as a e-4 with the college you have, then go for it. Any other questions you have of the military, just pm me and we'll get together and talk about it.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, if you're looking for ATC, i'd say go Marines, yeah it'll suck for a while, but you'll get promoted, being you're not a **** bag, and you'll get a lot more respect, and you'll be glad you did, when you see how the AF is lacking in most things "Military." unless, that's what you're after.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Hey Ken, thanks bro. I can't wait to go, i gotta do something man. I feel like i'm in a rut sometimes. I just need a change of scenery and this has been something i have always wanted (no needed) to do. I've always been a real patriot and i feel as if i owe it to my country to do it while i am able-bodied. But, i'd deffenitely love to get together and go over somethings.

when you see how the AF is lacking in most things "Military." unless, that's what you're after.
^^ Not to start any type of flame war between the various services but, what do you mean by this?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

with that police academy experience they're going to really push you to be an SP, DO NOT ACCEPT THIS!! lol. I don't know any sp's that enjoy their job. Anyways officers are really the way to go. No matter what kind of position you will hold you will get treated better than any enlisted guy. Better pay, better dorms, better housing, etc. etc. I can't say for other bases but for McGuire a Lt or Capt that's been in 3 years still receives better housing than our chiefs and seniors do that have been in 23, 24 years. There will be almost absolutely no grunt work as an officer, only enlisted do these kind of things. But for me I can't work in an office and you will have a lot of responsibility quickly. Not necessarily as a 1st or 2nd Lt. but as a Captain you start receiving a lot of responsibility, being in charge. So as an enlisted member you just kind of do what you're told until you make a more rank. The air traffic control is still a critically manned job I believe. Meaning when you come in you will get a 4-7 grand enlistment bonus. I believe they make about 60-80 grand reenlistment bonus if you plan to stay with it after your term is up. But the reenlistment bonus is so high because it transfers almost directly over to the civilian world without having to do much else. And the civilians pay a LOT. It's a tough job though, especially in high traffic areas like McGuire. It has Atlantic city, phila, and new york within an hour or two so a lot of our first term controllers flunk out at this base. Good luck though, and whatever you pick make sure you like the job, otherwise you'll absolutely hate the military.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
^^ Not to start any type of flame war between the various services but, what do you mean by this?
You know when you were younger and you had a certain point of view about the military. Their discipline, how they work together to win the war, kill the bad guy. All the exercise they did, respect, responsibility, honor, integrity, hardcore, keep everything perfect and clean... everything you see in the military the air force lacks pretty much. Marines respect their rank a LOT. I've flown a few around, officers and enlisted. The officers wouldn't hardly even talk to me since I'm enlisted, I would bring up a conversation like I would with my pilots and they would give me a dirty look. They saw how I joked around with my pilots and asked them why they let me talk to them that way. We transported some enlisted men around and the plane was packed full. They were starting to be loud and roudy, so their CO told them to shut up and instantly they complied. Nobody said a word or even moved the rest of that flight. And whenever they had to use the restroom or stand up they would ask for permission. The air force has none of this, our E-2's will hang out with our E-6's and bullshit, you will never see a marine do this. On my TDY's I hang out with the colonel flying the plane and his co pilot who is a major and we won't think nothing of it, again marines will never do this. We're just two completely different branches.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The AF is like civilian life in Uniform. i've worked with a few of them, and reguardless of your rank, you're all talked to the same. i remember at Keesler a while back, there was a SRa there that was motivated as hell. he should have been a Marine. he was all about helping out his junior troops. He was a "lat-mover" or prior service or whatever the AF calls them. basically, he was a cop, then changed jobs. Anyway, he had been in for 4 years, and he was doing PT at the SQDRN with the newbies in his class. You know, leadership by example. if they were having problems with their class work, this was AIT for them, he was helping them, one night before a test, he had asked their SSGT where they could do a study group, and he got lit up. "you shouldn't be down here with these guys," etc... the SRA told the Msgt at the school house, and the Msgt got ripped up by the capt. WTF? in the Corps, if you're not helping the jr guys, you get ripped up, and unless a Gunny really fucked up, you wouldn't see a Capt getting into his ***.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

The AF is like civilian life in Uniform. i've worked with a few of them, and reguardless of your rank, you're all talked to the same. i remember at Keesler a while back, there was a SRa there that was motivated as hell. he should have been a Marine. he was all about helping out his junior troops. He was a "lat-mover" or prior service or whatever the AF calls them. basically, he was a cop, then changed jobs. Anyway, he had been in for 4 years, and he was doing PT at the SQDRN with the newbies in his class. You know, leadership by example. if they were having problems with their class work, this was AIT for them, he was helping them, one night before a test, he had asked their SSGT where they could do a study group, and he got lit up. "you shouldn't be down here with these guys," etc... the SRA told the Msgt at the school house, and the Msgt got ripped up by the capt. WTF? in the Corps, if you're not helping the jr guys, you get ripped up, and unless a Gunny really fucked up, you wouldn't see a Capt getting into his ***.
All the Marines and Army people I have ever met WISH they could of gone Air Force. Yea its true the AF is a little lax with the rank thing but its not completely true it just depends on the higher ranked person. I NEVER let anyone with lesser rank Disrespect me but I know for a fact thats not the case with everyone. In the AF rank is actually earned unlike some services who promote on empty slots within thier unit/company. In the AF higher rank is thier if YOU really want it!
Old 05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

As a MP in Iraq during OIF 3 i worked side by side with SP's that where dog handlers and let me tell you, those guys worked there *** off on and off the FOB. Those guys did rids with us and drove on convoys, so to me that's respect in a war zone. Say what you want about the AF and how they're "civilian like" but in todays Military everyone is gonna get deployed and they are gonna bring the fight no matter where it is.

As for you Marines out there, ask those MP's where they did there school at and most will tell ya at Lackland AFB where the SP's train them

So tread lightly on what branch you put down b/c we all need each other, one way or another in this global fight.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
All the Marines and Army people I have ever met WISH they could of gone Air Force. Yea its true the AF is a little lax with the rank thing but its not completely true it just depends on the higher ranked person. I NEVER let anyone with lesser rank Disrespect me but I know for a fact thats not the case with everyone. In the AF rank is actually earned unlike some services who promote on empty slots within thier unit/company. In the AF higher rank is thier if YOU really want it!
What do you mean rank is earned in the air force? Do you know how rank is done in the air force? First off let's start when you enlist. I had no experience, no knowledge, nothing, I graduated high school and did nothing for a year then decided to join. I came in as an E-3 why? Did I earn it? No, I signed up for two extra years. So I come in with more rank than others that have already been doing their job for months. Second, I worked my *** off trying to get Below the Zone for Senior Airman, I worked hard on the flightline, I did everything everyone told me, I studied, I volunteered, I trained on everything even if I didn't need it. Did I get it? No, someone who sat in the office and talked to the higher ups every day got it, did he earn it? No. Third... rank is earned by time in grade, time in service, and testing. I know senior airmen doing TSgt jobs, they deserve the rank at least as a Staff, but do they get it? no. Why? because it isn't their time to test yet. Now as a Senior NCO, they earn their rank that I'm aware of. I hear to become a SMSgt or Chief you have to be good at what you do and hopefully the right people see it. But you still have to have that time and testing. I don't know if they test like an NCO does but I know you must have a college degree.

But I guess it does depend on who scores higher on the test, so again the people in the office that don't really deserve get it because they do nothing all day except study at work while the people who work hard don't have that luxury. I see it happen all the time.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kens_02SS
As a MP in Iraq during OIF 3 i worked side by side with SP's that where dog handlers and let me tell you, those guys worked there *** off on and off the FOB. Those guys did rids with us and drove on convoys, so to me that's respect in a war zone. Say what you want about the AF and how they're "civilian like" but in todays Military everyone is gonna get deployed and they are gonna bring the fight no matter where it is.

As for you Marines out there, ask those MP's where they did there school at and most will tell ya at Lackland AFB where the SP's train them

So tread lightly on what branch you put down b/c we all need each other, one way or another in this global fight.

i respect your enthusiasm ken, but, the MP's train at fort leonardwood, MO with the ARMY. i know, i went to Motor T school there, and those little ******* were causing a whole bunch of trouble. The Navy goes to train with the AF. Yeah, i'll give the cops their credit. the only outstanding Airman i ran into was that SRa that was cross training from the cops. The combat controllers in the AF are pretty hardcore for the AF. but as for as the rest of the AF that i've seen, their Civilians in Uniform. As far as earning their promotions, any place where you take a quiz and if you get a high enough score you get promoted, isn't really earning it. in the Marines it's way more complicated than that. yeah, up to e-3 it's a give me, as long as you don't **** up. but beyond that, your PFT counts, Rifle range scores count, how well you do (Proficiency and Conduct marks) are counted, PME, a long with a bunch of other things. yeah, the corps might not care just how smart you are, but neither does the enemy, as long as you can put rounds on targets, and you have some common sense, then you'll do fine. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you're good enough to lead Marines.

The corps isn't all infantry, ooh-rah, blood bath, killing ****. as ATC, you'll work in the air wing. it's kinda like the Marine Corps' Air force. it's not as in your face as it is in Division being a grunt. it's a little more layed back, but you still know that you're a Marine, and you're still required to act as such.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks alot fellas, i really appreciate all the responses. I know they will invaluable when the time comes. Keep em' coming good or bad. I want to see it all.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
What do you mean rank is earned in the air force? Do you know how rank is done in the air force? First off let's start when you enlist. I had no experience, no knowledge, nothing, I graduated high school and did nothing for a year then decided to join. I came in as an E-3 why? Did I earn it? No, I signed up for two extra years. So I come in with more rank than others that have already been doing their job for months. Second, I worked my *** off trying to get Below the Zone for Senior Airman, I worked hard on the flightline, I did everything everyone told me, I studied, I volunteered, I trained on everything even if I didn't need it. Did I get it? No, someone who sat in the office and talked to the higher ups every day got it, did he earn it? No. Third... rank is earned by time in grade, time in service, and testing. I know senior airmen doing TSgt jobs, they deserve the rank at least as a Staff, but do they get it? no. Why? because it isn't their time to test yet. Now as a Senior NCO, they earn their rank that I'm aware of. I hear to become a SMSgt or Chief you have to be good at what you do and hopefully the right people see it. But you still have to have that time and testing. I don't know if they test like an NCO does but I know you must have a college degree.

But I guess it does depend on who scores higher on the test, so again the people in the office that don't really deserve get it because they do nothing all day except study at work while the people who work hard don't have that luxury. I see it happen all the time.
I can see why your not getting anywhere! First off coming in for 6 years is deserving of more rank because there is more of a commitment from you and saves the AF money in the long run. Making BTZ is not a big thing, and those people who study in thier office are previlged but if you know how the system works everyone who works in an office compete against each other so what does that have to do with your maintenance AFSC since everyone in maintenance tests against each other. So dont complain when you dont get rank because in the AF YOU HAVE TO EARN YOUR STRIPES and nobody else. I am from a vehicle maintenance AFSC (2T370) and the only time I got to study was at home almost every night and when my commander tried to surprise me with my new stripes, it really wasnt a surprise cuz I knew I made it.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Launching!

I have to agree with Seagraves on this one. If you are on the flight line you are not competing against nonners for promotion, so that argument does not even hold water. You are competing against other individuals in your AFSC. I made SSgt and TSgt first time testing....is it because I sat on my *** in an office studying? No, I worked my *** off on the flight line and studied at home on my own time. I have been in just over 10 years and have already tested for MSgt. I'm hoping for some good news in June. All it requires is a little time management, hard work, and commitment. Instead of heading home for a 12 pack after work, pick up your books and study.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

or instead of studying in our case, go for a 3 mile run, and hit the pull up bar.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nikon02
Well i am an SrA (E-4) and no i would check that again i do not think you will come in as an E-4 you will be an E-3. even if you had a BA or BS and enlisted instead of going officer you would join as an E-3.
I have been here in the midwest the whole time except for my deplyments and it has been pretty cool. The two biggest things i can say are sign for 4 and see if you like it, and do not judge the air force on your first base.

Nikon02 is right. I came in as a E-3. You cannot come in as a E-4 right away. Unless you keep going to school and come in as a officer. Which, I can't stand, because I have been doing my job as a AMMO troop, and when we get a LT out here in the MSA (Munition Storage Area) they think that they know everything that is going on. I can't stand that crap. It really makes me sick. So if you are planning to got hat route, then please do me a favor, and don't become a *****. I am starting from the bottom, and working my way up, beceuase I don't want to just get paid, I like to work for my money. Thats my .02.

Quick Reply: Airforce advise/experiences?