Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Airforce advise/experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me i'm waaaaaayyyyyy too layed back to be a *****. If you ask any of the people i have ever supervised, they will tell you about actual fights between themselves, over being able to work on my shift. Pops always told me to treat those under you w/ the proper respect and they will follow you anywere. I will do that til the day i die. So I promise it won't happen.
So lets change gears a bit. I wanna hear any advise as far as preperations for basic training, day to day living, what to expext going in, etc.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Launching!

There really isn't a whole lot you can do to "prepare" for basic training. You will be better off if you are in shape so I would suggest running, push-ups, sit-ups, and other cardio based training. The Air Force is coming around as far as fitness standards are concerned. We still aren't where we need to be but we are alot better than we were when I came in. Basic has changed alot too, so I'm not really sure about the day to day at Lackland. When you get to Tech School you will begin to get some of your privileges back gradually. We do this to maintain good order and discipline. You will be in a phase program and your privileges will increase as you progress in the phase program. The specifics of the program are going to depend on where your tech school is located. I'm a tech school instructor at Sheppard AFB, TX and the phase rules are pretty strict here. Just keep you nose clean, do what you are told when you are told, and pay attention to what you are being taught and you will be fine.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

I've never seen your car on base.. thankfully I leave sheppard tommorrow!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Launching!

I don't daily drive my car. I usually only drive it on the weekends. I'm out at Sonic every weekend though.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:56 AM
TECH Regular

djsanchez2,

Well, you just have to listen to what the TI tells you and keep your nose clean. At the end of Basic when our parents were about to see us, they also got to meet our TI, well, my folks asked about me to mine and she didn't even know I was in her flight. I kept to myself, and did everything I had to to make it through the 6 weeks.

You room with around 59 other guys. You all eat together, do PT together, and well, you pretty much do everything together. Make sure, that when you get there you don't smile, don't wear anything that is going to give that TI something to make fun of you for. I was wearing a Nebraska cap and the TI said that I must be gay if I liked the cornhuskers. I just looked forward and kept my mouth shut, and he moved on.

So, pretty much make the best of it. At first it is going to suck, but by the time the last week comes around, you will be like that wasn't that bad. To this day I still say that. So fun, and hope some day we run into each other.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
everyone who works in an office compete against each other so what does that have to do with your maintenance AFSC since everyone in maintenance tests against each other.

I know how the system works and I compete against my AFSC, but people that work in the maintenance office come from people in my AFSC. Some are lazy, some are fuckups, others just know the right people and get invited. And when I mean the office here I'm meaning training office, Mobility, Orderly Room, CTK, -21, T.O. D.O., safety, etc. etc. etc.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=hotrod_bljak]djsanchez2,

Well, you just have to listen to what the TI tells you and keep your nose clean. At the end of Basic when our parents were about to see us, they also got to meet our TI, well, my folks asked about me to mine and she didn't even know I was in her flight. I kept to myself, and did everything I had to to make it through the 6 weeks.[QUOTE]

SHE? you had a female training you? huh.. weired. you'd never see that in Marine boot camp.. unless of course, you're female. yeah, we have females training at MOS schools and stuff. but generally until you get that far, it's sexually segragated.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

DJsanchez2, If you are still considering a career choice, I would seriously consider communications. I am a SATCOM E-5, and there are several people in my shop that are getting out after 6 years. They got top secret clearances (needed for certain comm jobs) and went to school and got degrees. Now they are getting out and will be making $80,00+ first year. Certain companies will pay top dollar for someone with a current TS clearance.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to work in ATC you won't even talk to a pilot/aircraft for the first 2 years. You will go through extensive training exercises at your first duty staion before you will even be allowed to put on COMM. Same thing goes for RAPCON. So all you guys that are talking about doing 4-6 yrs and then getting out and making $150,000 are blowing smoke up his ***. You would be lucky to start off at $35,000 as a journeyman if you got out at the 6 yr mark. Do yourself a favor, stay in school and graduate. You will have many more options open in the future to what is presented to you now. To all you others talking **** about my AF. To each his own. Some want to join the Marines and people want to kill others....have fun, learn to duck. Some want to join the Army and drive tanks....watch out for those improvised roadside bombs. Some people like the sea life...nothing like those hot bunks. I'm a F-15 crewchief. I go where my jets go. I came in before the big E-5/E-6 give away back when you had to do more than sign your name correctly to make it. It wasn't out of the norm to see people retire at 20 yrs at SSgt or TSgt turning wrenches their whole career. But they were humble and knew their job inside and out and didn't ask for a lot. I've been in 13 yrs and have lived overseas the whole time. I have been all over Asia and Europe and wouldn't trade it for anything. I just wish these snot nose **** head kids were weeded out at Sheppard AFB before they get to us. That where the problems come from. They leave the some what hard stern fatherly type at BMT and get to Tech school to those "I'm your buddy lets go out and have a good time" MTI's/Intructors. They get to thier first base and think the AF owes them or something and run around thinking they own the joint....until they come to work for me mauahahahaha. Everybody joins for thier own personal reasons. I wanted to work on jets, others want to kill people, others want to get a good job skill then go civilian. I pray for all those him harms way every night and hope you all make it home safely to your family.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silversweetZ
I came in before the big E-5/E-6 give away back when you had to do more than sign your name correctly to make it. It wasn't out of the norm to see people retire at 20 yrs at SSgt or TSgt turning wrenches their whole career. But they were humble and knew their job inside and out and didn't ask for a lot.
When did they start giving E-6 away? When I made tech the % rate was 20%......hardly a give away. Its cool that you like overseas, I did 3 years in Germany (00-03) and couldnt stand that ****. I did learn that those who stay overseas stay over there so they wont have to do a remote tour but that **** will soon change!

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Toasty
^ Bingo. Finish college and go through an Officer training program (ROTC or OTS). The extra pay alone is worth your time and effort, unless there's a specific job you want to get that is not an officer position. Serving as a military officer is big kudos in the civilian world afterwards too.

FWIW, I'm commissioning as an Air Force officer tomorrow.
Definitley finish your degree, then go in as an Officer. You'll kick yourself if you don't.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I just wish these snot nose **** head kids were weeded out at Sheppard AFB before they get to us. That where the problems come from. They leave the some what hard stern fatherly type at BMT and get to Tech school to those "I'm your buddy lets go out and have a good time" MTI's/Intructors.
I'm guessing you have never been an instructor because you obviously don't know **** about what goes on here. AETC has a very strict policy about student/instructor relationships. Basically, we see them at the school house and that's as far as it goes. We don't "hang out" with the Airmen on the weekends and we certainly don't party with them. You need to have your facts straight before you go posting some bull **** like that. As you can probably tell by now, I am an instructor here and I take serious offense to your claim. We enforce standards and customs & courtesies just like they do at BMT. There may be a few "soft" instructors or mtl's but the majority are military professionals and act as such.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
When did they start giving E-6 away? When I made tech the % rate was 20%......hardly a give away. Its cool that you like overseas, I did 3 years in Germany (00-03) and couldnt stand that ****. I did learn that those who stay overseas stay over there so they wont have to do a remote tour but that **** will soon change!

Good luck!

We have people volunteering left and right to do remotes. As an aircraft technician you must be a E-6 or higher to do a remote. This has been in effect for the last 2 yrs. The great SSgt give away has been since 98 when the promotion rate at least for my career field has been 50% or higher until last year. In 2001 it was 64%....thats just crazy. The first 2 times I tested it was 16% and 18% with a cut off score of at least 301. The first time I tested for TSgt the cutoff score was 336 but from 2000-2002 it was between 27-33% promotion rate with the previous years barely reaching 11-15%. Now all you need to do is score a 290 in most career fields with some as low as 279. I'm not a hater...trust me. It's about supply and demand. It's just depressing that we have these "quick burners" that make rank so fast they don't even know their job and I'm having to show them how to write a ****** EPR. Thats why you are seeing a lot more TSgt crewing than what their use to be. They just need to step up to the plate and produce...thats all.

Last edited by silversweetZ; 05-12-2006 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HooliganZ
I'm guessing you have never been an instructor because you obviously don't know **** about what goes on here. AETC has a very strict policy about student/instructor relationships. Basically, we see them at the school house and that's as far as it goes. We don't "hang out" with the Airmen on the weekends and we certainly don't party with them. You need to have your facts straight before you go posting some bull **** like that. As you can probably tell by now, I am an instructor here and I take serious offense to your claim. We enforce standards and customs & courtesies just like they do at BMT. There may be a few "soft" instructors or mtl's but the majority are military professionals and act as such.
Your right...I have never been an instuctor...and never will. Believe me, its not b.s. My squadron alone has booted 4 "newbies" in the last 8 months because of their **** attitude and behavor, not for drugs or bad checks but for being complete idiots. One of them even told our SMSgt first shirt to "**** off" when he was told to put booties on while on top of the jet. Granted were a bunch of crewchiefs and were full of **** and vinegar in the first place but when I came in we NEVER talked to anyone that had more stripes than us back then like that. And with force shaping, it's easier than ever to get these guys the boot so its not a problem. I guess it must be the retard sandwiches they eat when they get over here that cause them to choose the way they act.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

You know...your right. It may be a select few that give these guys slack. But you got to see the end result on my end. Instead of having these guys go straight to work, I got to act like mommy and seperate them from others because of their mouth/attitudes and that takes time away from me doing my job. I am sorry for hi-jacking this thread with complete and total non-sense.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sgt0704
or instead of studying in our case, go for a 3 mile run, and hit the pull up bar.
I really wish Air Force would have something like this in order to make rank as well along with testing. More military members would be in better shape thats for sure.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Also, I'm an F-15 crew chief so I know first hand how it is on the flight line. In my opinion, it's the NCO's on the line that allow this to happen. We keep a pretty tight leash on them here but as soon as they get to their first assignment, their immediate supervisor tells them to call him by first name. I'm not saying everyone does that, but I know a big majority do. I also know alot of them don't know how to handle an Airman that mouths off or disrespects them. We have to be willing, and more importantly, able to correct anything from minor infractions to full blown UCMJ violations. From what I have seen, alot of NCO's are too busy or just choose not to address these issues. I'm sorry for my earlier rant, but being an instructor your first post got me a little riled up. We do the best we can here at Sheppard, and yes, some slackers may slip through the cracks but it's not due to a lack of effort on our part. If you have any questions or concerns about what goes on here, feel free to pm me and I will give you my contact info.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

We have people volunteering left and right to do remotes. As an aircraft technician you must be a E-6 or higher to do a remote. This has been in effect for the last 2 yrs. The great SSgt give away has been since 98 when the promotion rate at least for my career field has been 50% or higher until last year. In 2001 it was 64%....thats just crazy. The first 2 times I tested it was 16% and 18% with a cut off score of at least 301. The first time I tested for TSgt the cutoff score was 336 but from 2000-2002 it was between 27-33% promotion rate with the previous years barely reaching 11-15%. Now all you need to do is score a 290 in most career fields with some as low as 279. I'm not a hater...trust me. It's about supply and demand. It's just depressing that we have these "quick burners" that make rank so fast they don't even know their job and I'm having to show them how to write a ****** EPR. Thats why you are seeing a lot more TSgt crewing than what their use to be. They just need to step up to the plate and produce...thats all.
You know what you are exactly right. I remember testing for staff the first time and the cutoff was 294 and the promotion rate was 16%, and people were retiring as E-5 and E-6 and it was harder back then. I am one of few people who still call everyone sir/ma'am and stand up when someone higher ranked walks into my office. ALL WE HAVE TO DO IS LIVE UP TO A STANDARD THATS ALREADY THERE instead trying to be cool with the young troops. Honestly I cant stand the younger troops who think the AF owes them something, I let them know quickly to get it together real quick cuz you will get ran over out here!
Old 05-12-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spade
I really wish Air Force would have something like this in order to make rank as well along with testing. More military members would be in better shape thats for sure.
Starting in fiscal year 07 or 08 the PT test will be a seperate box on your EPR/OPR so it will count for or against you when you test. This should be really interesting how this will come out.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starting in fiscal year 07 or 08 the PT test will be a seperate box on your EPR/OPR so it will count for or against you when you test. This should be really interesting how this will come out.

YOU boys in blue are comming a long way. first you got rid of the bike, and now you're putting it on exams.. wow.. good to see. it was funny at keesler watching the AF newbies PT. how sad..

Quick Reply: Airforce advise/experiences?