Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Airforce advise/experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silversweetZ
If you want to work in ATC you won't even talk to a pilot/aircraft for the first 2 years. You will go through extensive training exercises at your first duty staion before you will even be allowed to put on COMM. Same thing goes for RAPCON. So all you guys that are talking about doing 4-6 yrs and then getting out and making $150,000 are blowing smoke up his ***. You would be lucky to start off at $35,000 as a journeyman if you got out at the 6 yr mark.

How long do you think would be best amount of time to invest, to move on to a career like this?

Originally Posted by Snootch
DJsanchez2, If you are still considering a career choice, I would seriously consider communications. I am a SATCOM E-5, and there are several people in my shop that are getting out after 6 years. They got top secret clearances (needed for certain comm jobs) and went to school and got degrees. Now they are getting out and will be making $80,00+ first year. Certain companies will pay top dollar for someone with a current TS clearance.
I'm kinda interested in this. What kind of jobs are involved?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Mostly anything involving RF systems: Radio, Satcom, or networking. Also Securecomm and crypto maintenance guys too. I work satcom where there are two worlds- Mobile comm (out in the bush setting up mobile antennas to give the local commanders data and voice services):

and Fixed comm (big fixed terminals that provide the services to the mobile guys):

Last edited by Snootch; 05-12-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ever you do man do not work on this thing!!!! This is a RC-135 8 years at Offutt AFB NE (Im from hawaii you know how I felt) but 1 year remote in Greece NICE!!! But going to ******* RAF Mildenhall next! Sad thing is 3 different locations in the world same command same wing same everything! I need a change. BTW I am a Crew Chief/Heavy Drinker kinda goes hand in hand.

**** how the hell do some of you guys make rank so quick! I made Staff at 6 and getting closer every year to Tech.!

That thing about the new airman is true! Not the Tech school part but how they are ****** idiots! I got 2 kicked out so far I was sick of thier ****. I was bad but I had a brain some of these guys are retarded.

Also about fast burners and not knowing how to write EPR's and paperwork (bad kind). I cannot stand when a Tech comes to me for advice on writing a 3 EPR.

Im a ******* Dick when it comes down to crewing and work but when im not working im the typical crack jokes fart in the truck cussing till no end crew chief.

Last edited by hawaiiboysz; 06-01-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

damn crew chiefs....its all about the backshop

Quick Reply: Airforce advise/experiences?