Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

anyone in japan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

werd...the new "skylines" are just g35's. the is300's are real popular here too, but theyre "altetzas" here.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey man!! If you have a chance in the next two years, lol. Try and get down to Okinawa!!! I was there for two months for some inspections at Kadena this past summer. It was a blast so many guys drift down their its flat out crazy in Naha.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah, i hear okinawa is nicer...this is like this 'sticks' of japan, so its pretty damn boring
Old 09-03-2006, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Just so all of you are aware...Yokosuka...is NOT a breeze as someone mentioned earlier in this post...Yokosuka sucks. 1. because the car is not easily accessible(storage) 2. all of the new retarded restrictions...

BTW, i'm stationed in Yokosuka...Navy guy. On the USS Curtis Wilbur...woo! only 1 year and 3 months to go! yay!

But at least i have something to drive for the moment...my roommates 1995 BMW M3...lemme tell ya...it's nothing like driving a friggin firebird or camaro...lol.

Okinawa is the shiz. i like that part of japan...
Old 12-23-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to bring up this thread as I have been out of the LS1 tech loop. I am in the Army so I am stationed at Camp Zama (about equal distance from yokohama and Tokyo) so life isn't that bad for me.

It's funny seeing that people here don't follow the trends in the fast and furious street racers of the states. Most of the cars are stock or stock looking with very tasteful appearance mods. I didn't come here for the car scene so I am not disappointed by it (since i didn't expect much). I have heard these guys boasting about some tunnel in yokohama where you pay like $30-$35 to enter and they just go for top end runs. Again the claims were 200 MPH and one of the guys said they went over 200mph and was more like 212. I didn't waste my breath arguing with these guys as the both were in agreement and there probably wouldn't be any convincing them otherwise. I have driven 162+ MPH in my z28 and it was not a joy ride down I-10 in AZ but I did it none the less (this was making probably between 450-500 rwhp). My buddies 02 Z06 that makes like 420 rwhp was stuck at 186 mph. Down in the yokohama area I think there are a lot of drifters but they are mostly older men instead of young guys because those skyline Gt R's are damn expensive. There are a few americans that try to mod their cars but they usually look horrible (IE un painted body kits, poorly installed after market parts, and really anything you would expect to see in anytown USA) but what's the point of modding a car here? The streets are flooded with cars and the highways have speed cameras all over. My little celica is perfect for this country and I don't see even a need to try and upgrade at this point.

As for me? I am here for the experience, school, and to make connections for future jobs/ duty stations so I am not interested in buying a GTR, silvia, turbo celica, etc which is helping me save money for that C6 Z06!(I can dream can't I?)

It was funny talking to the transportation office when I was getting ready to come here back in Nov 05'. The woman said I had to bring my car if I wanted to keep it but I responded "my car isn't even legal in the states! there's no way it would get accepted into Japan!" Thankfully, I was able to store it in CA for the 3 year tour because the laws are so strict for cars to get into Japan. I wish I could have brought it here as I am sure I could have sold it and made an abosulte killing although I have close to 25k invested into it (and it isn't close to being finished! yikes!)

There's a vette and camaro dealer about 20-30 minutes from me that I'd like to check out one day but I bet the prices are double or triple that in the states.

Oh well, maybe I will meet a rich Japanese suga momma or something. Then I will be able to get a C6 Z06

Quick Reply: anyone in japan?