Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Straight bars!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait a sec. Cadets don't salute Warrant Officers even though they outrank them? Once you get your commission, yeah, but as a Cadet...

Not to mention...AS a cadet, even an E-1 out of boot outranks you...

Huh.

Well, even if that isn't the case, render respect to those who're there before you. And listen to your flight crew chiefs, they know wtf they're talking about.

You'll notice that as an LT, your NCOs are going to be the ones that'll show you the ropes, not other LTs.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Restricted User

Wow. Congrats there Cadidiot 2LT No need to spit the same **** about the NCO Corps rocking the house, learning you little O's right as you've heard it all enough. I just pray when your time comes you have an NCO worth a ****. Best of luck with the integration.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

haha. that is like my brother at the naval academy thinking i would refer to him as "midshipman recruit" or whatever the hell they are. (he obviously never asked or said a word about that.. he knows better than to require that of a marine cpl)

congrats though.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Teching In

I am not sure how this works for the other services, but in the AF your primary mentors will be SNCOs...this is a tasking from retired General Jumper. I would keep my eyes/ears open and my mouth closed for the first few years once you begin active duty. I would never try to pull rank or push anything on the NCOs until you are well established (trust/respect). If you are a good troop with potential, the NCO/SNCOs will take care of you. Hopefully, one of the SNCOs will take you as a project (if you are lucky). If you make bad decisions/treat people bad or unfair...you may as well not come in because your tour of service will be a living hell.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StoleIt
For all the AD people, enlisted don't have to salute Cadet's of any rank, but should still render the title Sir, Ma'am, or Cadet. Cadet's must salute all officers (warrent not included).

Why did you included this statement? What was the desired response?
Old 08-26-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah kneel. Congrats, but I sure as HELL won't be calling you sir.

Lot's of people have hit on the head. Trust and Learn from your NCO's. They are the ones that really do the work and run the service. All your job is is to oversee the job at hand. But you have to learn what the job really is before you can say a damn word about it. Just listen and learn.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:24 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by dozlert
Why did you included this statement? What was the desired response?
Ah with hind sight looking at it I shouldn't have. But I guess I put it in there since not alot of people I have ran into know where cadet's are in the chain of command. I can't even count the number of times I got saluted when I was at Altus. No salute was necessary, but you get a young E-1 or E-2 and they will salute anyone that has something on their collars instead of sleeves.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Ah with hind sight looking at it I shouldn't have. But I guess I put it in there since not alot of people I have ran into know where cadet's are in the chain of command. I can't even count the number of times I got saluted when I was at Altus. No salute was necessary, but you get a young E-1 or E-2 and they will salute anyone that has something on their collars instead of sleeves.

Thanks for the info. Part of the problems may stem from basic training not including any info pertaining to cadets. I am sure proper protocols are briefed at the academy and the like.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by dozlert
Part of the problems may stem from basic training not including any info pertaining to cadets.
Do you mean the TI's not insturction on customs and courtesies for AF ROTC/ AF Acadamy cadets?

I think part of it is that what are the chances of an enlisted person coming in contact with a Cadet officer that would have the nads to try and pull rank on that enlisted person? I think its one of those regs that are there but is brushed aside and the AF would rather use those 6 weeks training people on other stuff.

I knew a guy that went ROTC and is now a fighter pilot and when he was a Cadet officer he never looked for a salute from anyone enlisted (I think most don't also). He aslo had some SNCO's that took him under their wing before he even got his commision so that helped..

I hope I got what you were saying right.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:43 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Do you mean the TI's not insturction on customs and courtesies for AF ROTC/ AF Acadamy cadets?

I think part of it is that what are the chances of an enlisted person coming in contact with a Cadet officer that would have the nads to try and pull rank on that enlisted person? I think its one of those regs that are there but is brushed aside and the AF would rather use those 6 weeks training people on other stuff.

I knew a guy that went ROTC and is now a fighter pilot and when he was a Cadet officer he never looked for a salute from anyone enlisted (I think most don't also). He aslo had some SNCO's that took him under their wing before he even got his commision so that helped..

I hope I got what you were saying right.
Well the way I was explained the regs, a Cadet can NOT boss around an NCO and unless directly under their chain of command (ie: assigned) an NCO can't tell a Cadet what to do. We have two NCO's at my det, a Tech and Staff Sgts, and while they really only do administrative work, they never try to tell us what to do and we never would try to tell them. I work closely with the above mentioned Staff Sgt, and I would think its how two NCO's would work. We are very lax and easy going.

As for a Cadet Officer trying to pull rank on anyone that isn't a lower ranking Cadet, they would (and should) get laughed at and asked if they are being serious.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:56 AM
JUICED96Z

True and I also think that a good Officer or NCO cadet or not should not have to pull rank. If each have a mutual respect for each other then nobody has to pull rank. I can't remember a time as a C/CMSGT that an officer cadet or not had to pull rank on me. I also can not remember a time that I had to pull rank on a person below me. We all had respect for each other and I worked under some of the best officers (one a Marine COL.) that I have ever met in my life.

There are times I would have younger and older officers on my SAR team and a few AF guys that would observe. I had the respect off the officers and other NCO's and in training and on real ops what I said went because in the boonies rank does not matter experience does and in the end its about respect.

If it was not for that Marine and a few SNCO's taking me under their wing I would have been a crapy leader to be honest.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

But I guess I put it in there since not alot of people I have ran into know where cadet's are in the chain of command.
as far as im concerned cadet= civilian, i would not tell a civilian what to do and a civilian isnt going to tell me to do anything.

Well the way I was explained the regs, a Cadet can NOT boss around an NCO and unless directly under their chain of command (ie: assigned) an NCO can't tell a Cadet what to do.
what if they are not an NCO?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:23 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by aggiez28
as far as im concerned cadet= civilian, i would not tell a civilian what to do and a civilian isnt going to tell me to do anything.
i find that confusing too, since I had contract and take my officer oath.

Originally Posted by aggiez28
what if they are not an NCO?
sorry, all enlisted really shouldn't have to listen to cadets to my knowledge. i have never heard of any Cadets being placed incharge of anyone though.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Teching In

JUICED96Z- You hit the nail on the head!

Quick Reply: Straight bars!