Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Anyone know what a 5/17 discharge is?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know what a 5/17 discharge is?

got a buddy trying to get back in after a 5/17 discharge. *ARMY* RE code 3, which means waiver, but thats very vague. Just trying to help cause his civilian life sucks bad

Does anyone know what it is?
Old 12-23-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh McGrath
got a buddy trying to get back in after a 5/17 discharge. *ARMY* RE code 3, which means waiver, but thats very vague. Just trying to help cause his civilian life sucks bad

Does anyone know what it is?
!!!

The only thing I'm able to locate is Chapter 5-17, which is a discharge for 'designated physical or mental conditions'.

Have a shrink check him out or a physical. If he got out under that chapter I'm almost damn sure that he can get the paperwork from the Army to tell him exactly WHAT it was for. Talk/write/e-mail to the Army Personal Office (I'm ex USAF but I 'm sure the army has to follow the same protocol when it comes to discharging soldiers).

Your buddy might also have a sorted history, just have him contact the Army.

How long has it beeen since he got out?
Old 12-23-2006, 07:51 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Maybe your friend should tell you the whole story of why he got that chapter.
A chapter 5 is separation for the convenience of the government and a 5-17 (read below) . No chance on coming back in, but who knows if recruiting quotas gotta be met regs are lax.

5–17. Other designated physical or mental conditions
a. Commanders specified in paragraph 1–19 may approve separation under this paragraph on the basis of other
physical or mental conditions not amounting to disability (AR 635–40) and excluding conditions appropriate for
separation processing under paragraph 5–11 or 5–13 that potentially interfere with assignment to or performance of
duty. Such conditions may include, but are not limited to—
(1) Chronic airsickness.
(2) Chronic seasickness.
(3) Enuresis.
(4) Sleepwalking.
(5) Dyslexia.
(6) Severe nightmares.
(7) Claustrophobia.
(8) Other disorders manifesting disturbances of perception, thinking, emotional control or behavior sufficiently
severe that the soldier’s ability to effectively perform military duties is significantly impaired.
b. When a commander determines that a soldier has a physical or mental condition that potentially interferes with
assignment to or performance of duty, the commander will refer the soldier for a medical examination and/or mental
status evaluation in accordance with AR 40–501. Command-directed mental status evaluations will comply with
paragraph 1–32e. A recommendation for separation must be supported by documentation confirming the existence of
the physical or mental condition.
54 AR 635–200 • 6 June 2005
c. Separation processing may not be initiated under this paragraph until the soldier has been counseled formally
concerning deficiencies and has been afforded ample opportunity to overcome those deficiencies as reflected in
appropriate counseling or personnel records. (See para 1–16.)
d. Nothing in this paragraph precludes separation of a soldier having a condition as described in a, above, under any
other provision of this regulation.
e. Prior to involuntary separation under this paragraph, the notification procedure in chapter 2, section I; or the
administrative board procedure in chapter 2, section II, will be utilized.
f. For characterization or description of service, see paragraph 5–1.
g. Commanders specified in paragraph 1–19 are authorized to order separation under this paragraph. See paragraph
1–11 for additional instructions for ARNGUS and USAR soldiers. The criteria in chapter 1, section VII, will govern
whether the soldier will be released from AD or ADT with transfer to the IRR, or discharged.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roy
Maybe your friend should tell you the whole story of why he got that chapter.
A chapter 5 is separation for the convenience of the government and a 5-17 (read below) . No chance on coming back in, but who knows if recruiting quotas gotta be met regs are lax.

5–17. Other designated physical or mental conditions
a. Commanders specified in paragraph 1–19 may approve separation under this paragraph on the basis of other
physical or mental conditions not amounting to disability (AR 635–40) and excluding conditions appropriate for
separation processing under paragraph 5–11 or 5–13 that potentially interfere with assignment to or performance of
duty. Such conditions may include, but are not limited to—
(1) Chronic airsickness.
(2) Chronic seasickness.
(3) Enuresis.
(4) Sleepwalking.
(5) Dyslexia.
(6) Severe nightmares.
(7) Claustrophobia.
(8) Other disorders manifesting disturbances of perception, thinking, emotional control or behavior sufficiently
severe that the soldier’s ability to effectively perform military duties is significantly impaired.
b. When a commander determines that a soldier has a physical or mental condition that potentially interferes with
assignment to or performance of duty, the commander will refer the soldier for a medical examination and/or mental
status evaluation in accordance with AR 40–501. Command-directed mental status evaluations will comply with
paragraph 1–32e. A recommendation for separation must be supported by documentation confirming the existence of
the physical or mental condition.
54 AR 635–200 • 6 June 2005
c. Separation processing may not be initiated under this paragraph until the soldier has been counseled formally
concerning deficiencies and has been afforded ample opportunity to overcome those deficiencies as reflected in
appropriate counseling or personnel records. (See para 1–16.)
d. Nothing in this paragraph precludes separation of a soldier having a condition as described in a, above, under any
other provision of this regulation.
e. Prior to involuntary separation under this paragraph, the notification procedure in chapter 2, section I; or the
administrative board procedure in chapter 2, section II, will be utilized.
f. For characterization or description of service, see paragraph 5–1.
g. Commanders specified in paragraph 1–19 are authorized to order separation under this paragraph. See paragraph
1–11 for additional instructions for ARNGUS and USAR soldiers. The criteria in chapter 1, section VII, will govern
whether the soldier will be released from AD or ADT with transfer to the IRR, or discharged.

That was good info!! Didn't know the Army could separate for most of that stuff.

Yea, I think there is more to the story than he is lead to believe. Especially according to the regulation that the person has to be counseled before separation can even begin. Like you said, looks like he can't get back in.

Is that the "old" Section 8 of the olden days of like M*A*S*H? Or is that totally different.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, look like there ism more to the story than I know. Knowing him, he probably was mental. (he had really bad things going on at home at the time) But he is in New England for a while for christmas so I cant get the whole story yet.

His RE code is 3. Which is waiverable.

Hell, when I was at benning (hell hole!) for basic, I met a couple of guys that were chaptered out mentally before and gave it another shot. One guy even was on his third time from the Navy to Army. (bet hell have a RE 4 this time lol)

At least with the ARMY, its pretty easy to get a waiver.

thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 PM
12 Second Club

5/17 = The ***** way out
Old 01-18-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RE-3 is still waiverable. Had a buddy get discharged from the navy with RE-4 for Failed treatment for substance abuse and he got picked up with the Army national guard with a 10k enlistment bonus.

But with a discharge for a mental disorder deemed unfit to carry out his duties I don't think he is getting back in.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what a 5/17 discharge is?