Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

airborne?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006 | 10:42 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
What airborne unit?
Never been assigned to an airborne unit. I am one of the lucky few that get stuck in armor or mech infantry or Division staff jobs . So until Bradleys and Abrams start falling out of the air ,I have a very slim chance of never being in an airborne unit.
Old 01-01-2007 | 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Really. I wonder what the percentage of folks are who get jump wings but stay in a leg unit yet tell their family and friends back home that they're really in an airborne unit lol. Especially in the 101st "Air Assault". That's pretty lame, ******* wannabe's. Waste of taxpayer money. I also should have added that anyone in an MOS that will never jump into combat should never go to the school, either.

You can't say that about the 101st, They have a lot of history. Plus that isn't the joke, the Joke is Officers don't have to be in a Ranger Batt like enlisted soldiers to get the Tab.
Old 01-01-2007 | 08:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by roy
Never been assigned to an airborne unit.
Nuff said. If you ever were in one I can assure you that you would bitch about folks who go to airborne school, get their cherry wings and never use the skill again. That my friend is the airborne standard.
Old 01-01-2007 | 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1badchicken
You can't say that about the 101st, They have a lot of history. Plus that isn't the joke, the Joke is Officers don't have to be in a Ranger Batt like enlisted soldiers to get the Tab.
They have alot of history but they also have alot of legs who go home on leave and tell their family they're a paratrooper. When I came back from Desert Storm and went home, there was a dude who was an 0-4 in the 101st who had been in the desert, too. We were both at church, didn't know each other, he was in his uniform and I wasn't. He was telling a group of us about being a paratrooper in the Screaming Eagles and something about making a jump every couple of days lol, and my grandparents got excited and introuced me. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him I was in the 82nd. It was a classic moment.
Old 01-06-2007 | 07:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1badchicken
Dont have to be in Bat anymore to get your Ranger tab. I'm leaving at the end of this month to go to Ranger school and I'm not in BAT. (I'm enlisted) I love saluting 101st O's and saying AIRBORNE SIR! and they always reply with "Air Assault". Been on status for the last 8 years or so.
Old 01-09-2007 | 12:19 AM
Teching In

I first came in as 11M.. Each time I asked to go to Ranger school, I was always told "Well we dont need any Mech Rangers" So when my first term was ending and I re-uped I desided to go 11B, Airborne school and then report to 82nd. I ended up getting stationed to A Co 2-504 PIR. Needless to say my back is all messed up from jumping. Got kicked out of 82nd and sent up to Drum. Was supposed to go to OEF I, but instead got sent to Medboard and I asked to stay 11B, I was told that I had to be med-reclass to 91G (Patient Admin, here is your medical record) Well I was sent back to Drum and then sent to OEF IV with 10th. I was funny seeing some of my old soldiers from 2-504 over there. They asked if I regreet going Airborne, I tell them that I would do it all over again in a heart beat.
The funny thing about me working in a hospital now is, when I have people ask why is someone with EIB working at the hospital. Then I tell them that I have two artifical disc in my lower back. I have my L2-L3 and my L5-S1 replaced.

My cardomain has x-rays of my back what it looks like now

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2048633

Last edited by wein77; 01-09-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2007 | 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matthewjernigan
Im @ C 73rd. I didnt get it in my contract to start with because i didnt think i could do it but getting outta basic, well you know. Are you on Gordon 1badchicken?
No, not any more. I was at 73rd. I was the Senior Instructor for the 94 CMF or 35E Course back in 2000 at Allison Hall. If you got to Allison tell Mr. Z SFC Contreras says Hi
Old 01-19-2007 | 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PonyKiln
Dont have to be in Bat anymore to get your Ranger tab. I'm leaving at the end of this month to go to Ranger school and I'm not in BAT. (I'm enlisted) I love saluting 101st O's and saying AIRBORNE SIR! and they always reply with "Air Assault". Been on status for the last 8 years or so.
So how did you get in? There has to be more to the story. are you AD?
Old 01-20-2007 | 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

hold up 11 b. im not a grunt. im a 63b but we have two guys from 504th and let me tell you they are weak, lazy garbage ********. they fall out of 10k rucks, but they sure have the division mentality. the only thing that maters to them is pre-jump and the 8deuch song. airborn school is soft, its alot of fun, columbus sucks but there are a lot of chics there. jumping is a blast, it gets old after awhile 65-75lbs rucks takes a toll. but the day you get a hollywood it will be worth it. plus if you get bragg you can get on some fun jumps on saterdays. if you whant to be above your peers take while you can.
brody
Old 01-22-2007 | 06:28 AM
Teching In

Hey matthew how's it going .. so you in 73rd that's cool im stationed in ft.gordon also for ait
Old 01-23-2007 | 12:37 AM
Teching In

If you want to go to Ranger school all that you have to do is be a male and put a 4187 requesting to go to school that is all. You can be in any MOS, you just have to be a male. Your CSM or BC should be more than happy to aprove it. I know that if you are 82nd you have to go to pre-ranger course, before they send you to benning for ranger course.

You do not have to be Airborne to go to Ranger school, but I would recommend having your wings before going.
Old 01-30-2007 | 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

I swore I saw ROTC cadets at benning doing airborne.who knows maybe we will get some JROTC cadets soon.

Advise number 1:NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER QUIT!
Advise number 2:NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER QUIT!
Advise number 3:Only do it if you realy want it, If its for promotion points you might as well volunteer for 18x or go Option40 after completion it is almost instantaneous e-5 promotion(conditions apply )
Advise number 4:NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER NEVER, NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER,NEVER NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,NEVER QUIT!
Old 02-04-2007 | 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wein77
If you want to go to Ranger school all that you have to do is be a male and put a 4187 requesting to go to school that is all. You can be in any MOS, you just have to be a male. Your CSM or BC should be more than happy to aprove it. I know that if you are 82nd you have to go to pre-ranger course, before they send you to benning for ranger course.

You do not have to be Airborne to go to Ranger school, but I would recommend having your wings before going.
There is a bit more to it than that bro! Unless they are letting non combat MOS guys into ranger school now, i dont know what its like these days, i went in 01'.

Also Airborne school is a joke, anybody that thinks they are hard for passing that is a goon! Any school with split tails is weak sauce.

Try scuba!

Josh
Old 02-04-2007 | 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Well if I remember my first contract all it said was :
11x option 40
BCT 14weeks(includes inf training)
ABN 3weeks
After ABN you ruck to RIP; now if you pass RIP you are not a RANGER yet... You go through Battalion(as a beloved CHERRY)...Then after about 3-12 months(give or take a few,it all depends on your TIG your previous MOS physical/mental status,etc...) before you can even attend RANGER school which is three phases long. What would be the purpous of sending a noncombat MOS through all that?If I am right there are only a few army MOS that may attend RANGER school.
Old 02-04-2007 | 05:26 PM
On The Tree

I went in as a 11x also, got an airborne contract at 30th AG, i bugged the hell out of the liason there and he gave me an airborne slot,went to airborne school (lame). I then went to the deuce, were i was in 1-505th HHC scout plt,went to pre ranger, then school, then DIV LRRS. Got to go to Afganistan in 02'. Got out and got called up with IRR to go to Iraq with the nasty girls! what a joke the guard is. Will be going to SFAS when i get back.

Also ya i dont think they send non combat MOS guys to ragnar school, it might have changed, i dunno..

Maybe some POG LTs, but no enlisted.

Ax
Old 02-04-2007 | 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

Default Sfas

As cocky as I am I want to attend SFAS (as well as the whole pipeline) and become an 18D(SOCM);though I feel as if I am not ready.I probally apply when I am at least an e-5 or 6. Good luck to you; Sua Sponte.
Old 02-05-2007 | 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

well since your at ft gordon your more than likely commo and i say dont bother.....you being commo will more than likely not goto an airborne unit there you will have wasted your time.....
Old 02-05-2007 | 02:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ranger2339
I went in as a 11x also, got an airborne contract at 30th AG, i bugged the hell out of the liason there and he gave me an airborne slot,went to airborne school (lame). I then went to the deuce, were i was in 1-505th HHC scout plt,went to pre ranger, then school, then DIV LRRS. Got to go to Afganistan in 02'. Got out and got called up with IRR to go to Iraq with the nasty girls! what a joke the guard is. Will be going to SFAS when i get back.

Also ya i dont think they send non combat MOS guys to ragnar school, it might have changed, i dunno..

Maybe some POG LTs, but no enlisted.

Ax
18d is commo aka pog 18e is combat medic also technically a pog.....
Old 02-05-2007 | 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Thats incorrect bro!
18A - Commander
180A - Warrant Officer
18Z - Operations SGT
18F - Intelligence SGT
18B - Weapons SGT
18C - Engineer SGT
18D - Medical SGT
18E - Communications SGT

Unless they changed it. 1/10 of a sec ago. I checked just to make sure I wasnt all discombobulated (concidering I have been training my self in Emergency Field Medicine(also physicaly) for 18D).

I hope no one who reads this forum is stationed were you are at you might get smoked.

Last edited by BLACKSHARK; 02-05-2007 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something.
Old 02-05-2007 | 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Close he was, says yoda!

Quick Reply: airborne?