Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

airborne?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wein77

You do not have to be Airborne to go to Ranger school, but I would recommend having your wings before going.
PHASE I; BENNING PHASE:AS FAR AS I KNOW THAT IS PART OF RANGER SCHOOL IF YOU HAVE NOT ATTENDED BAT(BASIC AIRBORNE TRAINING).
Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

No you can go as a leg ranger!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can go as a leg. You'll be on chute detail while the men are jumping. Don't ask my personal thoughts on that lol
Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLACKSHARK
As cocky as I am I want to attend SFAS (as well as the whole pipeline) and become an 18D(SOCM);though I feel as if I am not ready.I probally apply when I am at least an e-5 or 6. Good luck to you; Sua Sponte.
You better in in top notch shape and be able to ruck forever with at least 45lbs in the pack alone. I went 3 years ago and it was hard, almost everyone there is in top notch shape and the course is extremely competitive. You can be the top PT stud at your normal unit, but at SFAS youre just a normal guy.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96ta
18d is commo aka pog 18e is combat medic also technically a pog.....
I know you didn't just call the 18d's pogs! wtf bro, seriously. Oh, and the 18d course is NOT the SOCM course, it's SFMS. SOCM is what ever other special op medic goes through, and thats just the first half of an 18d. Current pass rate is just around 50% first time go. Where the hell are some of you getting your info? 18d being commo? I'll let an echo chime in on that one....
Old 02-07-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

You are truly ignorant. Your statement shows that you havent been there, done that.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Unless they changed it. 1/10 of a sec ago. I checked just to make sure I wasnt all discombobulated (concidering I have been training my self in Emergency Field Medicine(also physicaly) for 18D).
btw, emergency field medicine is probably the least of your worries. There's a pre-sfms correspondence course at EArmyU I'd suggest looking into. Also we loose most guys during the first 6 weeks which is just med fundamentals. Basic anatomy, physiology, pathology, and pharmaceuticals. Of course staying in shape goes without saying. If you finish that correspondence course though you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Teching In

As of last summer, I had heard that the Army had re-opened Ranger School to non-combat arms MOS's. Several of my friends could not get in because there was too large of a back log of applicants. One of my best friends waited about three months at Fort Benning after IOBC before he started Ranger School. He said all of the officers from his class were waiting to get in.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

I have heard about EArmyU from my recruiter (and something about a free cpu)when I joined the Army.I do apoligize for the use or SOCM instead of SFMS(no excuse).How would I go about using EArmyU? All I know how to work is AKO .

As far as fundamentals for the medical field I have been in EMS(EMT-B)/ SAR/ Fire Fighting for quite some time.Though putting my mental abilities to the test is what I love along with my physical abilities. Is the Pre-SFMS correspondence course still required and in some small way will it help with selection?

Thank you for any advise given.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Is the Pre-SFMS correspondence course still required and in some small way will it help with selection?

Nope it has nothong to do with selection at SFAS. Anyone can attend SFAS, the pre-requisetes are not anything really, and selection is based on the cadre evaluation of you throughout the course. If you appear weak, dont pull your weight, give up, or arent motivated, you wont get selected.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

I have heard about EArmyU from my recruiter (and something about a free cpu)when I joined the Army.I do apoligize for the use or SOCM instead of SFMS(no excuse).How would I go about using EArmyU? All I know how to work is AKO .

As far as fundamentals for the medical field I have been in EMS(EMT-B)/ SAR/ Fire Fighting for quite some time.Though putting my mental abilities to the test is what I love along with my physical abilities. Is the Pre-SFMS correspondence course still required and in some small way will it help with selection?

Basicly go to https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc , then look up course 081-18DSOCM and 081-18DPREP. 18dsocm should cover the first half and 18dprep should cover the second half. The link I have to sign up doesn't seem to be working right, but that's the general info. The course is in no way required, most people never even hear about it. And it won't help you any in SFAS. It may help you get an 18D assignment if you're selected, or it may not matter. The prep course is to help with actually passing the delta course. remember you still have to get selected, and make it through sut and sere first.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you for the advise and help.I will follow up on it.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Teching In

What do you think POG stands for

Personal other grunts

When people used to call me a grunt when I was 11B. I used to tell them that is what I make there chicks do when I would F them.

Before you start using terms in the military you might want to find out what they stand for before you start using them.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Personal other grunts

When people used to call me a grunt when I was 11B. I used to tell them that is what I make there chicks do when I would F them.

Before you start using terms in the military you might want to find out what they stand for before you start using them.
Who are you even talking to?
Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Personal other grunts
After 20+ years, I've never heard that one lol
Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
lol,
Old 02-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Teching In

I was mainly talking to 96TA about the what he was saying about 18 series

Quote:
Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Are you serious man? You have been in the ARMY 20+ yrs and have never heard grunts guys call non grunts POGs? No way man, you have to be joking?

Not trying to be a dick at all, but umm yaa its like something every grunt knows, like hastys/fox holes,having a MRE spoon in the feild (for chow and broken hand mikes),your e-tool,using e-tool as a seat when shitting in woods,roll of TP in a ziplock,boots with worn out soles, your ruck,how to pack said ruck and find everything in it in the pitch black darkeness while dead tired,stand to,range cards,patroll bases,battle drills,7-8,how to make puding with the hot cocco mix,how to make a cookie with the creamer packet,not ever working with women,humping the 240B at some point as a joe on a 20k,doing PT still drunk from the night before,telling MPs,Cav scouts,Arty and such they are not grunts when at the bar wasted, then getting into fight with them..

Thats just a few things i could say about being a grunt, well thats how it was in the duece for me when i was in....

Sorry about the rant..
Old 02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ranger2339
Are you serious man? You have been in the ARMY 20+ yrs and have never heard grunts guys call non grunts POGs? No way man, you have to be joking?

Not trying to be a dick at all, but umm yaa its like something every grunt knows, like hastys/fox holes,having a MRE spoon in the feild (for chow and broken hand mikes),your e-tool,using e-tool as a seat when shitting in woods,roll of TP in a ziplock,boots with worn out soles, your ruck,how to pack said ruck and find everything in it in the pitch black darkeness while dead tired,stand to,range cards,patroll bases,battle drills,7-8,how to make puding with the hot cocco mix,how to make a cookie with the creamer packet,not ever working with women,humping the 240B at some point as a joe on a 20k,doing PT still drunk from the night before,telling MPs,Cav scouts,Arty and such they are not grunts when at the bar wasted, then getting into fight with them..

Thats just a few things i could say about being a grunt, well thats how it was in the duece for me when i was in....

Sorry about the rant..
reread it all again, lol.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ranger2339
You need to read all the posts lol. And in any case, no, I have never heard of a POG "personal non grunt". We aren't talking about pouges, man. Anyone who has ever been in the military knows what that is. That is what I have finally been able to become up here at Dix

Quick Reply: airborne?