Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

MILITARY "FOR SALE" SECTION?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
I know but you are not going to get my name, position or anything like that from someone. What would you do with my name or email, it wont help you get your $$.
so your telling me that if i knew your name, email address, place of work, home address (where you ship the part to/from), it would not make it easier for the Police (whether they be civ or military) to find you?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
so your telling me that if i knew your name, email address, place of work, home address (where you ship the part to/from), it would not make it easier for the Police (whether they be civ or military) to find you?
yeah if you have my home address it will be. The idea is that you will have my name home address and phone number, although you could use a po box. So why then do you need someones unit name/number and commanders name then if you have the info you need already??

I am just trying to tell you that if someone wants to screw you over by using some fake military info, it is very well possible. And then you will be calling the unit and possibly getting someone else in trouble. Is it worth it? Just use the regular sale forums here.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems like a lot of trouble. You can never prevent fraud 100%. Someone will always exploit loopholes and figure ways out to scam someone. Just like any classifieds, you should feel a sense of trust before dealing with someone. Even in the normal classifieds section, for big dollar items I'll generally ask for:

Full name, address, two valid phone numbers, and possibly a member reference.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Bc, if Pvt Timmy sells you a bad rear end....and then stiffs you out of the $$$...

id say with a 99% probability, that calling his commander will get things taken care of. ****, i was out to sea for 2 months, and i missed a car payment....so they emailed my Master Chief....and sure enough, the same day we pulled in, i made that payment (not that i wasnt going to in the first place. the point is, he made sure i did).
Old 12-27-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Seems like a lot of trouble. You can never prevent fraud 100%. Someone will always exploit loopholes and figure ways out to scam someone. Just like any classifieds, you should feel a sense of trust before dealing with someone. Even in the normal classifieds section, for big dollar items I'll generally ask for:

Full name, address, two valid phone numbers, and possibly a member reference.
Exactly there is always some people scamming out there. With that said does anyone here want another service member to get his career messed up over a scam that they werent involved in?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bc, if Pvt Timmy sells you a bad rear end....and then stiffs you out of the $$$...

id say with a 99% probability, that calling his commander will get things taken care of. ****, i was out to sea for 2 months, and i missed a car payment....so they emailed my Master Chief....and sure enough, the same day we pulled in, i made that payment (not that i wasnt going to in the first place. the point is, he made sure i did).
Yeah and if you had a dick Chief, you could have been demoted over a simple mistake. Technically you are responsible to have all payment arrangments taken care of even if you are at sea so you were wrong. Would that have been fair to you?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah and if you had a dick Chief, you could have been demoted over it. Would that have been fair?
nothing in life is fair. Im about to leave my pregnant wife at home alone for 6 months while i float in the Gulf....is that fair? no.

But I feel more comfortable selling parts to other military members, bc i do feel that this info would help out in the long run. Sure, one person might get dicked over in a bad sale. But 5 other people might get their money/parts since they have the extra info
Old 12-27-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Technically you are responsible to have all payment arrangments taken care of even if you are at sea so you were wrong. Would that have been fair to you?
well, its actually alot more complicated than that. but i simplified it down for the thread.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

well, its actually alot more complicated than that. but i simplified it down for the thread.
the complication is irrelevant, you missed the payment that was your responsibility to make. You didnt make them so you could have been subject to punishment. You should know that you can be called to sea at a moments notice. Thats why the military lets you start allotments to make your payments, that way you cant miss it in the first place.

Last edited by brad8266; 12-27-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

nothing in life is fair. Im about to leave my pregnant wife at home alone for 6 months while i float in the Gulf....is that fair? no.
It is fair, you signed up and gave 99% of your life to the government, nobody put a gun to your head and made you enlist. You enlisted after the Iraq war started so you knew what to expect.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

the complication is irrelevant, you missed the payment that was your responsibility to make. You didnt make them so you could have been subject to punishment.
actually is was Navy Federals fault, not mine. which is why i said it was more complicated...

and im definately not going to get into me getting deployed in this thread.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

actually is was Navy Federals fault, not mine. which is why i said it was more complicated...

and im definately not going to get into me getting deployed in this thread.
ok, anyway ya get the point
Old 12-27-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****, i was out to sea for 2 months, and i missed a car payment....so they emailed my Master Chief....and sure enough, the same day we pulled in, i made that payment (not that i wasnt going to in the first place. the point is, he made sure i did).
It's illegal for a business to contact someones employer to collect a debt. That includes the military. Unless is AFFES or whatever the Navy one is called. Though yes I know it happens all the time.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

hell yes!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+ another
Old 12-27-2006, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
It's illegal for a business to contact someones employer to collect a debt. That includes the military. Unless is AFFES or whatever the Navy one is called. Though yes I know it happens all the time.
True, but it isn't really "collecting" if someone calls your commander to report you for being a slacker. The caller doesn't expect the commander to pay the bill, so it isn't a "collection".
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

I suppose that a strictly military section would be rather nice. As for the fraud part, it is out there and will always be. Gaining access to post in a strictly military classifieds section via valid dot mil email addresses makes sense to me.
I personally would not like to post my full name, rank, and unit, even more so if it is going to be viewed by the general populus. That to me is begging someone to steal your identity. Nice to see the brothers banding together though.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
True, but it isn't really "collecting" if someone calls your commander to report you for being a slacker. The caller doesn't expect the commander to pay the bill, so it isn't a "collection".

correct! and the commander has every right to know...your lucky thats all that happend, honestly now you are suppose to be stripped of your secuirty clearance and put on a watch program...

1 one cause of loss of secuirty cleanrance/or not qualifiying for one is debt/unpaid bills...

if you more then 180 days deliquient on any payment it autmatically hits your security profile in the system...
Old 12-27-2006, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

faxing over a copy of the id card is the best and only way to ensure no fraud.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

So complicated this is. Why not just buy in the for sale forum and inform a potential buyer/seller that you are a service member and that there is always the slight possibility that you could at a moments notice have to go away, although I dont believe that ever really happens, except to pull some BS SDO or something like that.

Quick Reply: MILITARY "FOR SALE" SECTION?