AF rant

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Sounds like you have USAFE'itis...

-justin

I know exactly what you mean about that comment. I was stationed at Lakenheath 4 years...

Lakenheath acted like it's own numbered air force, major command, and pentagon all at the same time!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

i do have to say that is the good thing about reserve stuff whenever we all come in for our weekend, pretty much my whole flight goes out on saturday night to go eat and see a movie or something like that and we have cookouts at the local peoples houses, our flight is a great bunch of guys and most of the senior NCO's are guys that were active duty AF in the late 80's early 90's so they keep the atmosphere in the work place pretty fresh and everybody gets along great for the most part

The thing that bugs me the most is what i said in the last post about new commanders coming in and messing with stuff that works when they dont need to so they can add something to thier resume, and the restructuring my flight had to do a new job (entire flight had to retrain from 2e2 to 3c0), been in for 4 years now and almost a full year of that time was tech school lol.... when we first started it the new job looked like a great thing and would be a lot of fun, but lately a lot of the stuff that looked good has taken a turn for the worse. I love serving my country and take pride in what i do even if its only the reserve, so im holding out that the situation will get better and ill stay in, if not well more than likely ill get out when my enlistment is up so i can finish up my engineering degree
Old 04-06-2007, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SSofdeath
What you said about 135s isnt totaly true its just hard to take pride and keep the jets the way they need to be when you come home between deployments long enough to do your training and hit the road again(usualy a week) alot of the guys i work with are gone so much they dont even have homes they live in the desert.Its also hard to take care of your jet when theres only 7 people per shift at home and there are 8 lines a day so its not all on us its the work load. If we werent comming and going so much our jets would be better and most of us would care alot more.
Well we have Assistant CC's right? atleast 2 so why cant they keep **** on point. Its pretty much like I said the give a **** factor is near zero.
Had had it set up where either me or my assistant went TDY with the jet basically tapping out. We were both 7 lvl's staff's. Even though he was my assistant 2nd wipe whatever we were equal I pawned nothing on him. It was a good set up and the **** was striaght all the time. Too bad he had to cross train he's a ATC somewhere now. You find your grooves I guess but every DCC needs to get a plan and break it down for the ADCC. I seen where people are like thats my jet. My names on the side that is all they care about. like its a status simbol or something.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malicious
You work down the hall from me
I sure do , how's it going?
Old 04-07-2007, 05:12 AM
Staging Lane

the crew chief program isnt setup like it used to be were all gone all the timethis is my second rotation this year. There also arent enough people to take care of the jets the way they used to and most jets come home long enough to wash iso whatever the case may be and go back to the sand
Old 04-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Splitz
I know exactly what you mean about that comment. I was stationed at Lakenheath 4 years...

Lakenheath acted like it's own numbered air force, major command, and pentagon all at the same time!
Yea i got 2 years left here, been here for 2 already... This is my first base, and everyone who comes from other f15's bases say its so much more laid back at their last base... I dont see why, but the base sucks ***, the area away from base is cool tho..

-justin
Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I thought it was only like that at cannon. I know I haven't been in the AF long (3 almost 4 years), but I know a whole bunch of people who have and they all say the same thing it's not the same anymore. And you know what if I knew it would be like this I would have never joined!!! And now they're making a smaller force structure. That's absurd. Not only that the people that they should want to keep in they chase away while the people that just skate by get all the awards and other bs. All I can say is thank god I only have a few more months left. I'll try another branch probably army guard not sure yet, but all I can say is well nothing good for the air force. And as far as rank goes, I still can't understand why people get red x orders as e-4's but there's people who are e-5's and have their 7 levels but no x's for 2-3 years... I'm just gonna stop now cause I could go on and on...
Old 04-11-2007, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

I had red X as a SrA 6 years ago. There were only a few of us that got it. I should have catched the hint. All the high time SrA and staffs at 10-12 year said **** this and left. Kinda crazy. You dont see many red X SrA anymore. Everyone makes staff so quick.

I remember signing off my first red X. It was a landing light cover on the leading edge of the wing. I actually went with a speed handle to check that it was tight LOL!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea we've had a few here not too long ago, but I guess my point is that the af just seems to chase away the hard workers and the people they SHOULD keep. Seeing a lot of that here... especailly with the whole cjr bullshit... the af is going downhill fast and anyone who doesn't notice it is just ignorant.

Last edited by EndlessSummer85; 04-11-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:35 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The days of making Staff "so quick" are over. LOL Alot of those lucky folks think they can make Tech the same way. The pool to move up is getting more shallow by the day. The days of old are back w/ 8-9 yr SrA 12-15yr SSgt's. I remember those days all too well.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EndlessSummer85
Yea we've had a few here not too long ago, but I guess my point is that the af just seems to chase away the hard workers and the people they SHOULD keep. Seeing a lot of that here... especailly with the whole cjr bullshit... the af is going downhill fast and anyone who doesn't notice it is just ignorant.
Yes speaking the truth!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Launching!

256 more days to terminal leave... I can't wait for this nightmare to be over.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Wink

Hawaii, being in the same command/aircraft for a long time can get you in a rut. In small worlds like that you work with alot of the same people no matter where you are at. I am like that in my job. How would you like to be in a squadron where your airplane is the only one of its kind in the AF (and we only have 2 right now). Some guys work in the same aircraft for their entire time in the military. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I have lucked out since I have moved around to a couple different aircraft. I started out as a jet mech on EC/RC-135's at Mildenhall and Offutt for 4 years. It was fun at the time and I ended up getting a A-10 assignment to Shaw. The fighter world was totally different that what I was used to growing up in SAC. After a year in ACC, I had the chance to cross train to a C-130 flight engineer and did. It was the best move I could have ever made. That's how I got out of my "rut". I loved working in MX but life in other jobs can be some much better. I flew slicks (AMC C-130's) at Little Rock for 9 years and needed a change. Lucked out and went to AFSOC to fly MC-130's. The grass seemed greener on the other side of the fence so I went for it. I ended up going from the least deployed squadron the the AF (AETC schoolhouse instructor) to the most deployed unit in the AF for the next 2 years. I have gotten to do alot of cool stuff overseas, but had to endure alot of BS to do it though. If I hadn't cross trained 14 years ago, I don't think I would have ever made it this far and stayed in.

I have been in this command for 4 years and it is just like the others. All commands are screwed up in their own ways. You will always have great supervisors and sh***y ones. It is the same for guys you work with, ones that are great at their job and others that (everyday) you wonder how they have made it this far in life (and not gotten someone or themselves hurt). You might want to think about cross training into another job. It just depends on what you want out of life while you are in. If you want to see the world, think about an aircrew slot (FE, Boomer, loadmaster, radio operator, gunner). If you want an office type of job, there are alot of them. Heck, only 50% of the air force deploys anyways. Sure, there is some type of BS in every job you will do (civilian or military), but sometimes a change of pace can be a better option. Oh, by the way, don't listen to anyone who says "making rank in flying career fields is impossible." Everytime I hear that I say I will give you my 25 dec points and you can have my cutoff. Don't get many responses back after that one. Everyone tests over the same PFE and the SKT is different for every job. It just depends on how much you want it. There is always something to gripe about in our jobs (no matter what service you are in), you just have to find a way to make it better.

Heck right now, I am in a unit that is being forced to move to Cannon in the near future. You ought to hear the "sales pitch" we are being given about the move. Its amazing when you are told by someone (that isn't being affected by the move) that if you don't want to move, you are not "part of the team". Current pitch is either PCS or get out, so sometimes the situation that you are in isn't always the worse case.

Last edited by 130fe; 04-15-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 130fe
Hawaii, being in the same command/aircraft for a long time can get you in a rut. In small worlds like that you work with alot of the same people no matter where you are at. I am like that in my job. How would you like to be in a squadron where your airplane is the only one of its kind in the AF (and we only have 2 right now). Some guys work in the same aircraft for their entire time in the military. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I have lucked out since I have moved around to a couple different aircraft. I started out as a jet mech on EC/RC-135's at Mildenhall and Offutt for 4 years. It was fun at the time and I ended up getting a A-10 assignment to Shaw. The fighter world was totally different that what I was used to growing up in SAC. After a year in ACC, I had the chance to cross train to a C-130 flight engineer and did. It was the best move I could have ever made. That's how I got out of my "rut". I loved working in MX but life in other jobs can be some much better. I flew slicks (AMC C-130's) at Little Rock for 9 years and needed a change. Lucked out and went to AFSOC to fly MC-130's. The grass seemed greener on the other side of the fence so I went for it. I ended up going from the least deployed squadron the the AF (AETC schoolhouse instructor) to the most deployed unit in the AF for the next 2 years. I have gotten to do alot of cool stuff overseas, but had to endure alot of BS to do it though. If I hadn't cross trained 14 years ago, I don't think I would have ever made it this far and stayed in.

I have been in this command for 4 years and it is just like the others. All commands are screwed up in their own ways. You will always have great supervisors and sh***y ones. It is the same for guys you work with, ones that are great at their job and others that (everyday) you wonder how they have made it this far in life (and not gotten someone or themselves hurt). You might want to think about cross training into another job. It just depends on what you want out of life while you are in. If you want to see the world, think about an aircrew slot (FE, Boomer, loadmaster, radio operator, gunner). If you want an office type of job, there are alot of them. Heck, only 50% of the air force deploys anyways. Sure, there is some type of BS in every job you will do (civilian or military), but sometimes a change of pace can be a better option. Oh, by the way, don't listen to anyone who says "making rank in flying career fields is impossible." Everytime I hear that I say I will give you my 25 dec points and you can have my cutoff. Don't get many responses back after that one. Everyone tests over the same PFE and the SKT is different for every job. It just depends on how much you want it. There is always something to gripe about in our jobs (no matter what service you are in), you just have to find a way to make it better.

Heck right now, I am in a unit that is being forced to move to Cannon in the near future. You ought to hear the "sales pitch" we are being given about the move. Its amazing when you are told by someone (that isn't being affected by the move) that if you don't want to move, you are not "part of the team". Current pitch is either PCS or get out, so sometimes the situation that you are in isn't always the worse case.
Good luck here man, I'll have a bit over 3 years at Cannon when I finally get to move.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I spent my whole enlistment here!!!!!!............

And I have tried to crosstrain. Pretty much unless you wanna be a crewcheif or security forces.... well good luck.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

130fe its crazy that you were part of the recce group. Well atleast you lucked out! When I was at Offutt I tried applying for a FTD slot and ws told by my Sec chief that he would do everything in his power to not let me go. So you can guess the rest of that. A **** bag fool went to FTD instead.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Splitz

When I was at the Heath it wasn't too bad. Well, except for the NSI's. Other than that the work I did was cake. Of course that place has beefed up bigtime since I've been there, so I'm sure alot has changed.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grave
When I was at the Heath it wasn't too bad. Well, except for the NSI's. Other than that the work I did was cake. Of course that place has beefed up bigtime since I've been there, so I'm sure alot has changed.
I was there 2000-2004, when were you there?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe you should PCS to Fairchild and teach the MX here not to act like retards. I'm a 135 Boom and I'm tired of dealing with idiot maintainers.

A month ago I had a bad elevation gage on the boom controls. The boom was stowed but when I turned the AR Master Switch on it read at 5 feet. However the DCC was trying to convince me to take it cause "you can still take off without it." Yeah retard I could, but I can't do AR with it which would defeat the purpose of even taking off in the first place.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Ehh.. I've been in for over 4 years now (AF also, dirt boy in Holloman NM), I think I'm going to re enlist. YEah there's smoe MAJOR BS, but i have no real reasons to get out.

We get screwed like crazy, the fire firefighters, EOD and cops take all the glory. Yeah, we can build an MOS in 6 hrs, but eh.... let's give EOD and FF the credit... We do a lot of thankless work. the most under appreciated shop in CE. It's like you don't notice something till we aren't there. You don't notice the road until you hit a pothole... No wonder we're drunks.

Anyway... I was thinking about crosstraining. I have heard a lot of experienced guys bitching about this new AF. I'm a VCO for my shop. It's like pulling ******* teeth just to get our guys to sign their damn 1800's or 1806's, let alone maintain anything. Which explains WHY the shop VCO at my last base was a complete DICK! that's the only way to get things done! I need a shop with a little more structure. I'm the ranking SrA in my shop an people won't listen to me at ALL! ONE especially! I was his class leader in tech school, I HATED him then and now I just want to beat the rest of his ******* teeth out with a fire extinguisher, shove that nozzle down his bloody ********** and asphyxiate him with haylon! That guy is such a dirtbag! He doesn't respect authority and won't work worth a ****! I was given an assignment to have these guys help me w. something and he basically barked at me and told me "I'm not ******* stupid! I know!" -All I told him was that the shop still needed to be cleaned. He was still laying on the couch 45 min AFTER lunch was OVER!

I hate my shop some times! I'm testing for SSgt again in May (2nd time, I WILL make it this time! studying my *** off since Jan!! Missed it by 2 points last time!)

THe guy that's running the shop now is a good guy but doesn't have that TSgt stripe to be a dick.. THe couches are crooked,t he tables are crooked and the danm floor hasn't been mopped in over a month! Even when sed Airman was asked by the ranking SSgt to do it... That ******* dirtbag looked at him and said "Hey MTHRFUKR! What color is my skin?! I an't doing that ****!" .. Yeah.. THat's the BS I have to deal w/!! ******* DIRTBAGS!!!

I need more structure! This guy is thinking of going palace chase anyway, which would make my life a LOT easier... Oh.. He already got his face beatin in in Germany for running his big ******* mouth! -Short man syndrome...

I've been told... "God forbid you make rank."... I WILL be a dick! But to a certain extent!

Last edited by bayer-z28; 04-22-2007 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: AF rant