Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you guys seen the rough draft for the new EPR's and Performance Feedbacks?
I just got to see them. Now each area that you mark on the front gets a certain amount of bullets on the front page.

For example: Primary/Additional Duties. You have the standard four blocks to X off on, but then underneath it you have to put 4 bullets related to Primary/Additional Duty performance.

And so on for the rest of the categories. Then at the bottom of the first page you put your promotion statement. THEN on the back the rater/ratee have to sign the EPR before it even gets routed up the chain. Plus your fitness score is now a factor on rating.

Plus the new Performance Feedback worksheets almost mirror the EPR.

Again, it's still a rough draft so it's not official, but it looks better than the current system we have.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
So I was thinking why did I join? This new AF is different and it sucks. I have been noticing that everyone is trying to be better then the other joe and just **** things up instead. Why is that? Why do we need change. Why do we change what is proven. I know that change can be good but as soon as a new guy comes in he must implement base "x" idea and **** up the proven way of doing things. Do the people that work for you mean **** anymore? People under you make you and if you **** them over you **** them off and then they dont care anymore. I haven't been in the AF for very long just over 10 years and damn I seen a AF that used to take care of each other to a AF that ***** each other over and gives you run-arounds if you need something done.

Force shaping-
There may be good ideas like saving money and sending our experience to other branches.
Bad well there is a lot of that. I noticed that -135 Crew Chiefs are more inexperienced or dont give a **** and lost the pride. They used to have it once upon a time. But now they are getting basically booted out. Now I see acft that I used to work on or crew come in trashed and looking like **** the forms look like **** too. But why should they care, right? AF dont want them. I been noticing that morale and quality of things are going down hill. But the "higher ups" think that everything is fine and dandy because they ignore reality and pretend or convince themselves that yeah we can do this everything is fine. They think we but its us the little people that suffer.

Rank-
I know I am to blame that I am still a E5 but hey I really am a bad test taker. So why is it that every other branch has an easier time making rank? When I was in Greece there was a TA Navy guy that was an E6 that I used to shoot the **** with well come to find out he been in for 5 years! 5 years! A ******* E6. He said there are study groups! You study in a group in the AF and kiss that stripe good bye. My friend in the Army we came in the same time he's about to pin on E7 or did already. Why can't the AF be like that?

The job-
Why cant we just do it? Everyone knows what must be done to fix it. We have manuals whatever but then you have all the BS that comes with a task. You need googles rubber gloves etc etc. for chemicals but then they expect you to dispose of human **** and **** with no PPE? Dont get me wrong PPE is important and safety is paramount but wait a minute. before you start your job you better follow AF instruction blah blah then your command instruction then wait your base has another instuction oh **** your SQ has an instruction too. 10,000 different ways or trump after trump to do this. Sucks if you only know about 1 instruction cause QA is going to **** you over because you didnt know and they need fails.

I have a ton more stuff to whine and bitch about but I feel shitty today and decided to waste some time. BTW i'm not a **** bag at work actually im one of the guys that always works cause I dont like sitting around.

Oh yeah this morning I get yelled at because the crew came out. Well I was vaccuming the jet because that is what they want due to recent FOD findings on QA insp and I get yelled at for it. Taking initiative gets you nowhere sometimes. Sad thing is that I used to be the DCC on this acft now I am at another base doing mx team stuff. Kinda feels like I have been demoted.

Man I think you and i would get along really really good hahahaha

I feel the same as you about alot of stuff but what can I do, say something + getting kicked in the *****

try and get it don't the way your supposed to (i.e. IAW tech data) and the jet doesn't make it = getting kicked in the *****

Now matter what you do seems like we maint. troops are always getting kicked in the *****

I love my job I really really do, but just can't stand half the people that I work for and their retared ideas that are supposed to "make thing better for everyone" and only end up making things worse then they were.... I just grew tired of it and when my window can up for crosstraining i took it and actually got it.

going from being a DCC on a bomber to sitting in an office doing info. management, hahaha it will be a huge change for me and it may not be for the better but oh well it can't get much worse hahaha

Originally Posted by HooliganZ
Ok, I have to chime in here. If you don't like the AF, then maybe it is time for you to leave. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you reenlist. If you aren't happy with the way things are going....find something else to do.

Also, accelerated promotion rates aren't always a good thing. A lot of times, you end up with someone who is not mature enough for the responsibility that comes with the higher rank.

To the OP, from what I have seen in your posts....you seem to have a huge chip on your shoulder about the AF. It's people like you who bring down the morale of a unit....always complaining. You complain long and loud enough, eventually your behavior starts rubbing off on others.....pisses me off to no end.

Hooligan Z I conpletely agree with you as well, I may bitch and moan about stuff on this forums now and again but I can't say that the AF is still probably one of the best jobs I have ever had, for the most part it is OUR supervision that make my job suck the most.

And what you said about the promotions is correct, Hell I made E5 first time and when i got it on it freaked me out I was a supervisor of a few troops with no clue how to handle it. Thanks to my supervior at the time TSgt Northcutt and my DCC SSgt Morin they helped me out alot and made me into a good super as well as a good troop. This also helped me to figure out to change things you gotta make rank witch has me studying hard for TSgt, tested for the first time this yr June 14 cant come soon enough.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99WS7
What a good read. I like many others can relate to so much of what people are talking about. Im a crew chief like a few on here and can totally relate to all the BS they talk about. I'm in the B1 world and it is the worst now that it has ever been, we all say it. Its not just one guy spreading a bad seed....it just sucks. I used to enjoy coming to work and getting dirty on the line, a lot of us did. I used to have a lot more pride too, but now I just do enough to get by now and hopefully not get bitched out for something stupied or worrying about coming on the ******* weeked. I have worked so many damn weekends I wouldnt even know where to start and 12's for that matter. And ya know, I understand that sometimes you gota work more and longer but there have been a lot of times we are like WHAT THE **** are we doing here at 2am on a Sat. Another thing that I have noticed (I just hit my 8 year) is a good amount of the younger troops we are getting basically just ******* suck and I want to smash their head against the wall and **** down their throat. Im on my 5th troop now and I have learned a lot since my first. Right now my one of my three that I write on can't pass is EOC, whines all the time and is playing the profile card. The other day I caught him sleeping and went T.I. on him...we have some really good kids here but man what a bunch of **** bags we have too. There was a few when I was a younger amn but I see more now for sure!! So many of my good friends have got out or retrained. That is why I am so HAPPY to say that I am retraining and can not wait to get the **** out of maint. I fell under the 06 command leveling and in my AFSC 20 of 50 had to retrain that were put on the list. I was #22 on the list so it was pretty much a go for me. I was lucky, cause a staff second term goes no where in my career field. I put in for Fire Protection and got approved and now I will be going back to tech in Aug...I am so pumped. I have that feeling of excitement again. I've know that I got approved since Dec too and every day Im just as excited and the last day...hell even more now that its getting closer. I have heard nothing but good things from that side of the house and I cant wait to start a new career and maybe even a new base. Well guess Im done ranting now...this is a good thread, sometimes you just need to throw it out their!! Hopefully the AF will rebound and get better, I sure hope so cause I plan on doing 20 if not more.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Me and this guy work together so I know thw way he feels about the dyess flightline (b-1 side)
Paul i completely agree with everything you've just said lots of POS and a few good troops but oh well the POS will get what they deserve in the long run hopefully. It does really suck to see the good troops not get any kinda recognition, that's why I always try to hook my good troops up reguardless what my supervision says, If a kid is a hard worker he deserves a break now and again and i will gladlly take an *** ripping for hooking them up esp. when they deserve it
Old 05-31-2007, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update on my Squadron!

Ok it was my fault that I didnt get my tdy out processing done but on tuesday morning I came in and took care of it.4 Day weekend that plays a part later. Later that night I worked mids. So between getting **** done in the day and the kids keeping me awake all afternoon then working mids tues night/wed morning no problem. I didnt complain once.
Ok wednesday morning! I get off of shift after mids a little tired no problem. I had to wait to take a sq picure so that was about 8ish I think. After that I dig out go home phone rings for me to come in because I didnt complete my form 55 binders. What? I replied and said that I have been awake for over 24 hours and why does he need it done now? we had a 4 day weekend and if I can handle this later nope come in! So I am tired no **** right anyway I almost ran a child and a mother in mildenhall village over cuz of a delayed reaction I was too close. So I get into work speak to the flt chief he says 5 words that was it! I was pissed but I said that I am here and I will complete it. Now im in our APG room taking care of this **** simple but I am tired annoyed doing stupid **** that can wait till later then the kicker happens! I get told that I cant wear my gortex liner by one of the masters in QA. The black fleece one not te oldbrown one anyway I replied that I was in civilian clothes you know maybe he didnt see well he gets an attitude and mentions some atso 21 ****. Fella's I ******* snapped I snapped big time I wanted to kill I wanted to destroy anything that got in my way. I have never in 10 years of service get that mad never! I blew the **** up lost my composer you name it! I didnt hit anyone but I did say things that sacred people. What I said was not aimed at a specific person I know that for sure. By then I was at my 28-29 hour mark of being awake straight something that I am not used to at all doing silly **** and getting picked on again ( it has happened in the past) by the QA MSgt.
I think they have it out for me. What would they have done if I had hit that little boy? NOT A ******* THING! Now I cannot volunteer to do that FTAC team leader detail my Section chief which is a ******* ****** sauce man said that ha is going to reccomend that I not do it and he said it with a grin on his face. ANd he said it on the side so it is my word against his. I think im going to have to report this to a agency legal I dunno. But I will tell them in the morning what I am going to do. I am fed the **** up with the stupid antics and **** that this squadron does on a day to day basis. It is not the Chief or the MO doing I know. Its all the 10,000 MSgt's that have nothing to do and make life hard changing **** at 2 million miles and hour and techs that have nothing to do and dont want to work and pretend that they are getting thier ***** busted. So the SSgt's have to do all the stupid ****. Why? because we have no airman we may get a SrA but they have a line number already. THe techs get their ***** busted because they go out and **** around then crunch but then they forget that the staffs are the ones that gotta knock out all the **** when they fell to far behind.
Well I guess if I wasnt a decent worker that gets **** done right and in a proficient manner then I would be a lot more in the hole. But I got the eyes on my know because this sq likes to talk behind your back. I have a few that have my back though my actual coworkers. Everyone else can eat ****. I hope the others contact me some how before they die too so I can **** on their grave.

Last edited by hawaiiboysz; 05-31-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

That doesn't sound like a good day. This isn't nearly as bad, but how bout this my buddy is seperating right now has like 5 days left in the shop. He got that DOS rollback bs. So they're basically kicking him out early since he got denied reenlistment. Yesterday our shop cheif blew up on him and said, in front of everyone i must add, that he would love to take away his terminal leave and 20 permissive tdy so that he can suffer when he gets out. Then goes on to say that he has a bad attitude and work ethic. No ****. Who in the right mind would want to work for that kind of person??? Everyone that seperated or PCS'd from here before didn't do a damn thing within 3 months of leaving too. This **** just isn't right, and somethings gotta happen. But were the best at taking care of our people. Yeah right bull sh*t!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Launching!

You mean there's actually ******** at Cannon? NO WAY!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Goddamn Ryan. You almost sound like I used to sound.
Unlike alot of people, I dont mind my job, the pay could be better but if I got paid by how much I actually did I wouldnt make jack ****.

I'm not a gung-ho military person in anyway shape or form. I could care less about the political bullshit that goes on day to day. I do my job and I go the **** home. Just like people that work any other job, I work for my paycheck just like someone at walmart does. Do I want to get out? No, I have almost 9 years in. I dont understand why some military members act like WE cant bitch about our jobs. I complain about my job just like the next guy, thats your damn right.

Ryan you know we get put thru the ringer maintenance wise and get nothing for it. Offutt is so "Special" yet they just started giving MX props here. Even still this place never changes. I have been going to the desert since 2000, never been in any trouble, never been one to make up excuses....yet I dont have 1 damn medal. Even when I changed squadrons I didnt get **** for my 5 years on the flightline jobbing. No I didnt **** anyone off, thats just what happens when you work for **** people.

Everyone doesnt have to look at the military the same way. Those old bastards that say "get out of my AF if you dont like it" can kiss my ***.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay - This place i out of control man! They **** **** up here on the jets and send it home. When I do my preflights or whatever I go out to find something and when I do I got to hear why are you breaking the jet? Then I get all these other ******* that dont like me because I am a Offutt guy. What these ***** fail to understand is that I have been crewing these jets for 10 years. Not saying I know everything but more then they do. So now im in the playing stupid stage. THe 95RS has always been a retarded sq **** been retarded since my first time tdy here from offutt in 98'. If the USAF was smart they would close this sq down or turn it into a det like in Souda Bay. All the people here and nothing to do breeds stupidity.

Jay I spent 8 years at offutt and I didnt get a medal when I left. My two medals are from the 95RS. One was from the desert the 95th Chief wrote me one then I got a achev when I left Souda Bay. Yeah I got fucked on that! The CC didnt believe that Staffs and below should get a Com out of a 1 year tour there. I got fucked the guy I replaced got 3 points and the guy that replaced me got 3 points I got 1 just because. I know that I aint getting a 3 pointer out of here. **** it you dont need medals anyway if you apply yourself anyone can make rank. Well maybe up to E7 atleast.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sadly all this doesn't seem to be localized to just one base....
Old 06-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Been there done that...worked for a guy that suffered from depression, high blood pressure and stressed over the most trivial things....but to make his day all the merrier he'd go out of his way to make your life as miserable as his...that meant working overtime, working on the weekends and getting phone calls to your house all hours of the day while you were trying to sleep.

I work in a military where in order to do just one job you have to do 10 jobs just to prepare for that. Just to take a **** you have to go sign out a T.O. and a set of work cards from bench stock...there's 5 minutes in itself as the benchstock people are slow as molasses, then after taking another 5 minutes to sign open a CTK you have to put on your eye protection so the **** doesn't possibly splatter in your eyes, then after spending another 5 minutes tracking down the ******* who ran off with the hearing protection you have to put on your ear muffs in case the sounds get deffining explosive, then after benchstock gives you the run around you have to hunt for some gloves in case you had mexican for lunch. Just to take that one **** you just wasted 20 minutes of the day you'll never get back.

Ever wonder why it's mandatory to wear safety goggles when spraying windex onto a window? Because some idiot got it in his/her eyes....any fool with the least amount of common sense would know better as to hold the bottle and spray so the mist goes away from the body.

I still work at a base where all of our equipment is ragged and has so many problems we constantly bog ourselves down fixing a half million things (the overall time spent should never take this long), meanwhile all the work piles up and we have fewer and fewer people to work with....we are **** on our inspections because god forbid we miss something...

I still work at a base where it's easier pulling teeth as opposed to getting C.E. getting out and fixing a leaking roof on a building that poses a potential fire/electrical shock hazard because of rain water possibly getting into the electrical lighting system. In fact, it's not until the building finally burns down and kills someone/severly damages something before the base finally wakes up and then has everyone jump thru hoops to make sure a new plan is implemented so that it doesn't happen again.

I still work in a shop where micromanagement runs rampant; my boss (MSgt) tells us we must follow the hard schedule for our inspections, but since we're 100 + inspections behind our pro super wants to "wipe clean" the schedule and start us off on a new slate....which means a piece of equipment that's due to be inspected next month now might not get done for another 6-12 months....so that maybe it would fail, possibly kill someone/cause serious damage and then fingers will be pointed at everyone but the pro super and possibly the boss because by this time they will have both PCS'd out of here....

But the real kicker: My boss basicly told us "**** the pro super's schedule....you will follow my way until otherwise told different"......but at the production meeting when the pro super asked "why haven't they started the new schedule to get your section ahead" the boss came up with this "oh, well I don't know why they're not doing as they told you, I'll go kick them in the *** on this........."

The pro super is a self centered micro manager. My boss has the same rank as the pro super, yet IMO because we listened to him, made it sound as if we're at fault on why the new schedule hasn't been started....

Last edited by 69Nova355; 06-05-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: AF rant