Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Very serious opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not lie about this stuff if you come in. It can haunt you when you least expect it.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:26 PM
JUICED96Z

E-mailed an AF recuiter even though I am sure they will tell me to talk to an AF doc but the last time I talked to them they seemed on their game. In the e-mail I told them if I got in I wanted it to be honestly, not hiding it. (have had recruiters tell me to not mention it before)

Faster has to see the base doc in a few weeks so I will ask him to ask them.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:11 PM
JUICED96Z

AF recuiter said that if I get as much documentation as I can on my condition proving it is not an issue (as in I am not going to fall over dead at any minute) that there is a good chance they will let me in. He said I can give them all of the documentation and a letter from my doctors and they will submit it for a pre screen and if they ok that they will ok me to go to MEPS. This saves me from going threw MEPS all over again.

He did not have much to say about the color blindness but said that if I go again I might have better luck because they change the books out every now and then.

If I do it and get droped for the color then that will rule out a lot of jobs I would like to do.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had any friends that delt with a heart murmor, Nor have I. But just last year I was on the fence, about staying or going. I had shattered my left Tib and Fib right above the joint, and all of my tendions ripped except my Akelis tendon. I ended up having two Surgeories, and on the finall one they put a plate with seven screws, and 9 pins. Well while I was healing I slipped trying to crutch it going up some stairs, and broke the main screw that was holding my two bones together for alignment. Hurt like a **** too. Well needless to say I was going through my last screening on being put out on a Medical Discharge and they let me stay in on one condition. That I can only be on Active duty in the united states. I am unable to go overseas, unless I am on leave and on vacation. I walk with a slight limp, but I still am able to move around. All the hardware is still in my ankle, and they have no mind of taking it out anytime soon.

So what I am trying to say is, there is allways ways around stuff. Just like said in the prior posts. Tell them all the info they ask, and if and when you are able to get in, injoy your time and have as many fond memories as possible, cause you only live once. Don't regret it....

Lane
Old 04-10-2007, 11:57 PM
JUICED96Z

He told me I satand a very good chance of getting in with letters and documentation from both my cardioligist and family doctor.

He asked me what I wanted to do in the AF and I told him that I have not put tons of thought into it because the things I REALLY want to do all have to have normal color vision.

I assume AC-130 gunner requires normal color vision, I wonder about Air Traffic Control....

Also have to get threw the duck walk.....

I wish I could go to meps with my Cocran jump boots on (the WWII style ones) with full gear and a loaded ruck and go rucking for a few miles and show that my flat feet cause me no problems or pain. Heck a lot of people cant stand those boots lol.

I am going to have my family doctor right something up on my feet also.

Ill know something mid May at the latest.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that color blindness would eliminate your possibilities on quite a few jobs. A guy in my unit is color blind he works supply. He tried cross training but I still see him around.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 PM
JUICED96Z

The only aircraft maintenace job I know I could do is structure.

Can MP's/SP's be color blind? A buddies first sgt (MP) is color blind... said he got a waiver he thinks.........
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's very few things in my job that require color acuity, check out Egress... I actually like the job, just the MX supervision here is silly at times....
Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 AM
JUICED96Z

This is what has me confused.

When I talked to the SAME recruiter early last summer and was talking about Pararescue he told me "don't worry about the flat feet or color blindness, we can get you around that". I know for a fact he does not remember me and the jobs I have mentioned to him either have no quota or are maintenance jobs that he signs people up all the time for.

If I get threw the pre eval I wonder what would happen if I mention Pararescue again.....

Quick Reply: Very serious opinions needed