Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Why is it....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 05:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it....

...when some folks get out of the service instead of going back home they stay in the area of the base?

I'm stationed at Pope in NC, almost anyone in downtown I run into is former Army or AF (we have army here too)....

Only things I can figure is they "found a job" before they got out/retired or they can't afford to move back home....but the town of Fayetteville blows and I always told myself the day I got out I'd move back to IN....a few friends of mine couldn't find work here when they left so I'm not so sure what the work force is like but they said they couldn't find jobs....

I dunno....just wanted to hear it from another....
Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 AM
TECH Regular

How bout this question...

Why do people enlist in the military and then try to get bases that are as close as possible to where they lived at?? I never understood why people bitched because they got stationed overseas or somewhere else.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:04 AM
NKAWTG...N

Civilian contractors maybe?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Launching!

that happens all the time in grand forks. i would bet 90% of the people that get out up here stay up here. even the southerners who hate the cold and snow stay. and the pay for normal work is below par. idk maybe they just want to linger or are afraid to go home.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they like the area more than they let on. I got as far as possible away from home as I could and ended up in Oak Harbor, WA (im from Houston, TX). I really enjoy the area but the wife doesn't like it so much so we're getting out of here.

I am looking to move to Austin which isn't home but is about a 3 hour drive from Houston. It is a much nicer city and if I hadn't joined the military I wouldn't realize how poopy my surroundings were.

Marty
Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, we I got out, I didn't want to be anywhere NEAR where I just left. England was to expensive. Not only that, I went back "home" to Dallas/Ft Worth. I enlisted for college and training then always WANTED to return "home". You wouldn't catch me dead living in NC again by SJAFB!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea we have the same thing here at Ft Campbell. A TON of the infantry guys that get out get a civilian job with the army and stay here for some damn reason. I like the area but the people up here are unreal.

Im moving back to TX after I get out but I havent found a place yet. Looking to get around Austin though. Im glad I didnt get stationed in TX because this place shows me how much better it is.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a-lot of that when I was station at China Lake. I would be hard pressed to let myself get stuck there, ALTHOUGH it is nice if you like the desert.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitz
Well, we I got out, I didn't want to be anywhere NEAR where I just left. England was to expensive. Not only that, I went back "home" to Dallas/Ft Worth. I enlisted for college and training then always WANTED to return "home". You wouldn't catch me dead living in NC again by SJAFB!
What's wrong w/ SJAFB? Don't hold back.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BigT2002
How bout this question...

Why do people enlist in the military and then try to get bases that are as close as possible to where they lived at?? I never understood why people bitched because they got stationed overseas or somewhere else.

Tell me about it... I didn't get anything on my sheet when I got out of tech school, but when I found out I was going to be stationed in Germany I was psyched! It was the time of my life and I'd love to go back!

To the OP's Q: I think it may have something to do with being able to use your benifits easier. If I were to go back home to a non MIL community, it would be difficult to get any help as far as the VA or using Tri-Care Med benifits... Just my $0.02..
Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
What's wrong w/ SJAFB? Don't hold back.
LMFAO....walk outside the main gate, Goldsboro NC!!! That's the problem!

Don't get me started on Lakenheath, UK either...that's the USAF's only single base that is a MAJCOM, NUMBERED AF, among other stuff.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

^ The best base is the one you're going to or the one you just came from..

Ramstein was great but holy crap did we get screwed... Or equipment was decent.. here it's pathetic, but slowly geting better.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^

Now most of the time THAT'S true! Of course, every assignment as is's good points and bad points!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Splitz
^^^

Now most of the time THAT'S true! Of course, every assignment as is's good points and bad points!
Not at Shaw. I can't stand this place. Too many retired ppl live here so everywhere you go its flooded with them holding up the lines with no consideration for the ppl who need to get back to work. The BX is the smallest little thing in the world, I seriously think the shoppette at Ramstein is bigger than this little thing. The buildings are so outdated and infested with cockroaches its not even funny. Your 40 miles from the nearest good city (as Sumter isn't close to being a real city). You have to drive to Ft. Jackson to even do anything remotely entertaining far as military things go, and since we got rid of DoD stickers you have to register everytime...and its a BMT base for the Army so you get a nice waiting line during grad times

If I had my choice I would go to Charleston though in a heartbeat!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
...when some folks get out of the service instead of going back home they stay in the area of the base?

I'm stationed at Pope in NC, almost anyone in downtown I run into is former Army or AF (we have army here too)....

Only things I can figure is they "found a job" before they got out/retired or they can't afford to move back home....but the town of Fayetteville blows and I always told myself the day I got out I'd move back to IN....a few friends of mine couldn't find work here when they left so I'm not so sure what the work force is like but they said they couldn't find jobs....

I dunno....just wanted to hear it from another....
that happens all the time here in Hawaii but then again it is Hawaii, but ive heard about this at other posts too.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigT2002
Not at Shaw. I can't stand this place. Too many retired ppl live here so everywhere you go its flooded with them holding up the lines with no consideration for the ppl who need to get back to work. The buildings are so outdated and infested with cockroaches its not even funny.
Wow, and I thought only Pope was that bad....
Old 06-08-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think it depends on the area. for instance, i've been to biloxi, pendleton, and yuma. i would love to live in socal. and i'd be ok living in yuma. there's no way in hell, i'd live in biloxi. it just depends on the area, and what you like, or dislike about the region.

my paticular intrest is the "living conditions" weather, etc... biloxi's humidity was horrible. i hated the bugs. the hurricanes, everything. Yuma get's hot, but it's not miserable. it's sunny all the time, but the blowing dust sucks. i can keep the tops off the camaro almost year round.

So Cal is awesome. warm, not hot. cool, not cold. rains sometimes, but usually... it doesn't. but it's very expensive.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and your location may be a **** hole, OP, but i guarantee, it's not the biggest. i know of a place commonly refered to as the "Sandbox" that has you beat.

Quick Reply: Why is it....