Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

So what air force bases don't suck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitz
But, what you are forgetting to mention is, even though BRAC is forcing a closure of Pope doesn't mean that it "disappears" either. The base will be turned over to local municipalities, so, "new" building will be put to good use by the city that annexes the property.
This really isn't the case with Pope since it is inside Ft. Bragg. I can't see the Army letting that happen
Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
Yep, everyone I have talked to has said Cannon sucks.

Believe it or not, I actually don't mind Cannon. The weather is nice. Sure, Clovis is a run down hole, but I don't go around those shitty places in town. I live in a decent area though, and I love my house.

My work area, well.... . I'll just leave it at that.

I get my assignment out of here in October due to BRAC, just like Malicious. I'm hoping to go somewhere east, so I can be closer to my family.

Let's see... what other bases that I've been to that "don't suck".

Nellis AFB - my first assignment. Back in the mid 90's, that was the place to be. I loved it there. Always something to do, great weather (I like the desert) and great people to work with/for. The best assignment I had so far.

RAF Lakenheath - In hindsight, this was another great assignment. Lots to see in England. I hated the weather, but hey... it's England. I had to deal with a few undesirable people at work the first half of my tour, but the last half was awesome. I was in a great shop when I left there. When I was at the Heath, I thought it sucked, but looking back... it wasn't so bad. I'd go back if I could.

Barksdale AFB - Let's see... I hated Louisiana. Alot of people were RUDE (even more than Vegas), the weather sucked (1000% humidity by 0700, yuck). I did like where I worked though. Met alot of great people there. But the local area and the weather is what turned me off to that place.

Now I'm at Cannon. But not for much longer.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an AMC base, supposidly the ACC bases are better about newer better facilities (so I am told), tools, etc....

Hahahaha, to quote Borat, "not eh so much"

I was in Minot (first base) for 2 years and I can tell you that ACC DOES NOT get much Love ($$$); I left there and went to Osan (Pacaf, never again) and obviously its a differnt world/situation so there was deff. some moneys there. Now im at an AMC base and I can completely vouche that AMC bases get much much more love than ACC. I have a friend here who came from Barksdale (was in Korea about the sametime as i was feb 07-07) and he's said many times before that Barksdale also was pretty run down (buildings/facilities). Hell in Minot we didn't even really have any out-lining shops, everything came to the main compound, no 463L.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snootch
Look at the bright side... at least your at Osan. I'm at Camp Red Cloud, and this place blows. My wife is at Osan right now, and I look forward to going because there's lots of **** to do, and there's a freaking Chili's on base. We don't have **** here.

Next time ur up in Songtan, hit up the Lions Den! And ask for a green soju (comes in a pitcher) ***** so damn good, its alittle thick they put some kinda creamer in it and ofcourse ya gotta hit up the Whiskey... just watch out for the flower lady(i.e. "Flowa?") and Songtan Sally
Old 06-14-2007, 06:47 AM
11 Second Club

My *** has been at Offutt since 1999. Other than the greatness of PSAB and AlUdeid I havent been anywhere else, unless you count 7level and RedFlag!
Old 06-14-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's an easy question for most to answer: Any base that you are not already or haven't previously been stationed at!!!

Scott AFB doesn't suck. I jsut came from McGuire though.........BIG difference there.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Teching In

OPSEC

Last edited by pengu; 07-29-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Teching In

I agree with 99Hawk about McChord, it was great besides the rain, and nobody knew how to drive in it even though it rained almost the entire year! And BigT, you are right about Shaw, I'm probably stuck here for another couple of years, maybe I'll get lucky and go back to Italy. I was in Livorno for 2 years and other than the fact that it was an Army post, and the entire base was about the size of most bases BX's, it was nice. Since it was so small, everyone knew eachother, and you could get stuff done, because you could talk to anyone including Installation Commander.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Funny there pmcclelland99, I was reading your last reply of the AF base check....so "SHAW" stands for "Stay Here A While" eh? Wow...I take it that base isn't antsy about letting anyone PCS?

Pope is the same way.....and I thought Pope was the only base reluctant to let anyone PCS...unless you wanted to go to Korea.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mullet
The concerns I see here are at just about every base out there. CE sucks everywhere I have been and old buildings is a great concern. The problem with a lot of this is the lack of funding for these bases. I seen it at Griffiss, and see it at Barksdale. Got to love a war time budget.
How do i put this **** you J/K haha I'm an elctrican also. My first base was kadena got there in jan 05 left feb 07 liked it for the first 8 months and it went down hill in a hurry. Shop got retarted base got retarted. The area was cool but it was an island with a couple million people on it. Not my cup of tea i am a country boy i love my open areas. That and kadena was crazy busy, ops tempo was through the roof. Then I got here to sheppard and there talking about the "high" ops tempo and i just started laughing damn near fell to the ground. This place is a vacation compared to where i came from. I love it here kinda like back home its just hotter and doesnt snow, well doesn't smow much freak weather does happen. A base is definatly what you make of it, but sometimes its really hard to do.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pope is the same way.....and I thought Pope was the only base reluctant to let anyone PCS...unless you wanted to go to Korea.
Seymour does the same ****. Six of our guys in the Fire Dept have got orders to Korea in the last 7 months
Old 06-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Another acronym for Shaw is Swapping Husbands And Wives, which unfotunately, people in the shop know first hand, thank god I live off base, and kick someones *** if they even mentioned anything like that to me about my wife!!! Other than that stuff, Shaw sucks, but weather is nice until it gets too hot/humid
Old 06-25-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

theres always Charleston AFB.... lol
Old 06-25-2007, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
theres always Charleston AFB.... lol

Man Charleston is a nice base/place to be stationed, i think. I visited Shaw before I came in and I didn't think it was bad, sumter is kinda a small town but Columbia (back when i visited Shaw) was a cool little college town (nice "pickins" )

Hey are you the one who drives the Black vert thats always parked in the MPF lot?
Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pmcclelland99
Another acronym for Shaw is Swapping Husbands And Wives, which unfotunately, people in the shop know first hand, thank god I live off base, and kick someones *** if they even mentioned anything like that to me about my wife!!! Other than that stuff, Shaw sucks, but weather is nice until it gets too hot/humid
I've had two of my buddies deploy for 6 months and when they came back their wives were having a lil fun with some redneck or some bastard who was going to USC. Two of the girls we worked with busted one of them redhanded at the Outback in town making out with some bus boy she worked with. Lets just say...she looks the other way with her head down because we busted her ***.

Shaw could honestly be deactivated (believe last BRAC they tried) since the only true missions they have are NORAD (alert mission which could be given to MacEntire which is about 10 miles down the road) and SEAD (suppression of enemey air defense). They got dibs on the F-35 over Hill because of our own range and the Atlantic right by. And with the Army moving their equivelant of CENTAF to us as well is keeping it going. Even though Ft. Jackson is 45 minutes away. So yep we get to learn Army rank now! (Not that I don't know it).

Ramstein was off the chain when you weren't on base. "Check Six" had so many little rules on there that it wasn't even funny if you got busted doing soemthing you weren't supposed to. Not to mention the homeless guy wandering around lol.

Of all the bases I've been to so far, I think Scott was the nicest and most upkept. The dorms were all brandnew, shared a kitchen with a suitemate. TACC and TRANSCOM were brand new buildings. Housing was gorgeous for junior ranking and the officers/SNCO had that New England feel to em. No active runway outside of KC-135s to wake you up lol. Beautiful gym, beautiful outdoor running area that was padded. That is the place for my AFSC (1C3X1) if I didn't despise TACC so damn much after Ramstein.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rob M
Hey are you the one who drives the Black vert thats always parked in the MPF lot?
nope.. im not even military.. i just know ALOT of military people...(mostly airforce) they all seem to love charleston... or atleast like the area enough that they can deal with the base BS... really how much they like it depends on what they do.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Splitz
oh boy, isn't this a LOADED question?

Asking an open ended question like that you aren't going to get the information that you are looking for. Everybody has their own opinions.

Now, what I did when it was assignment time for me, I talked to alot of NCO's and SNCO's in my direct chain of command. Because, they have been to THOSE bases that you could goto.

Now, since I was F-15 backshop avionics (2A0X1A), there were only 5 stateside and 1 overseas locations to be transferred to, so the list was short and just about everybody that I had asked at one time or anther was able to answer any question about a future assignment possibility.

So, obviously, my suggestion would be to ask around your office or shop. Depending on how many locations that you job would goto, will depend on how much research that you need to do.
Corrected it for ya... they closed Kadena, Elmendorf, and Langley to our career field. And Nellis is on its way out... Where are you at now?

Im at Lakenheath now, and i have to admit... Off base is the ****... Too much to do. The car scene is a little on the small side, but not bad... Travel is absolutely awesome... People for the most part are cool once you get about a 45 minutes drive away from base. I live an hour away so i can be with the "nice" brits lol.

BUT the base is a piece of ****... The base acts like its own numbered air force... rules apon rules apon rules. Anyone who has been here can attest to this. facilities are good, But gets a little boring when its all you can afford to shop at. And you also pretty much live off ebay and amazon because anything off base is $$$... unfortunately this is my first base, been here for 2 years and have another 2 to go. And i have to admit it, i could be stuck at seymour!

-justin

Last edited by ORedRoc4; 06-26-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:48 PM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BigT2002

Ramstein was off the chain when you weren't on base. "Check Six" had so many little rules on there that it wasn't even funny if you got busted doing soemthing you weren't supposed to. Not to mention the homeless guy wandering around lol.
Believe it or not he's still roaming the streets! You know he's a retired full bird. No joke. I guess he just fell off his rocker...sad too since nobody looks out for him.

Scott is on my list when we are out of here and would love to get it but I doubt it.

Last edited by SRZ; 06-26-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRZ
Believe it or not he's still roaming the streets! You know he's a retired full bird. No joke. I guess he just feel off his rocker...sad too since nobody looks out for him.

Scott is on my list when we are out of here and would love to get it but I doubt it.
Bring it! We'll have a supercharged 93 Gathering.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SRZ
Believe it or not he's still roaming the streets! You know he's a retired full bird. No joke. I guess he just fell off his rocker...sad too since nobody looks out for him.

I heard he was a Chief....regardless it was always weird to leave the little shoppette over there and see him sleeping in the laundry mat. I'm honestly surprised they haven't put a stop to that **** and either boot em back to the states or something! One dude on the chairforce.com said he fell asleep in a tux or something in the north shoppette on top of the beer cartons. No one did anything.....wonder where all his money goes regardless if hes O-6 or E-9.

Quick Reply: So what air force bases don't suck?