Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
...If the Army won't take you, pretty much no one will.

the AF is downsizing, but, as proven by history, we'll be picking back up in a bit. i dont think the whole "do more with less" philosophy will hold up for too long. i imagine in about a year an a half to two years, we'll start the sign-on bonuses again, begging for more to come back.

so if ur in college, finish it up so u are automatically ahead of the game. once u have ur degree, u can go in enlisted, check it out for a lil bit, and if u dont like it - go thru OTS and get commissioned...just like that!
Old 07-12-2007, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
the AF is downsizing, but, as proven by history, we'll be picking back up in a bit. i dont think the whole "do more with less" philosophy will hold up for too long. i imagine in about a year an a half to two years, we'll start the sign-on bonuses again, begging for more to come back.

so if ur in college, finish it up so u are automatically ahead of the game. once u have ur degree, u can go in enlisted, check it out for a lil bit, and if u dont like it - go thru OTS and get commissioned...just like that!
God I hope you are right about the first part. This whole "do more with less" feels at times like "do more with nothing". I can really see the bad parts about this phylosophy taking place accross the AF. I agree that eventually it will have to change around once we get to a breaking point, but I doubt it happens that quickly in the next couple of years. The whole reason we are doing it is because of budget cuts to basically afford F-22's and C-17's. Now with the new tanker on the project desk, I have a feeling it will be quite a while before the AF is going to be offering sign on bonuses.

As for the college thing. O-town already knows what he wants to do for sure. As already covered by myself and others, enlisting first would just be a waste of his time he could have spent investing in training to become the fighter pilot he wants to. Besides, being enlisted won't give him an accurate taste of the life of a fighter pilot anyways since the two will be treated and trained totally different.

Quick Reply: is it worth it?