Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF peeps; what about the new EPR's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being an A1C, the new EPRs aren't as big of a deal for me, except for the PT portion. That, in my opinion, is a great addition. I can't stand to see how many people whose bodies are in horrible condition. Both the airmen and NCOs. Maybe a harsher penalty for doing poorly on the Fitness Test will get people to stay in shape. That or they'll have more people getting bullshit profiles.

As far as everyone getting 5s, I agree that it's a problem, but it would have to be completely redone to fix it. It's not fair for your troop to get a 4 while the other supervisor's dirtbag is getting straight 5s. I know I don't deserve 5s, but I know I'm a much better troop than those others who are. I'm not going to ask my supervisor to give me 4s just so the EPRs can be how they were supposed to be. It's a big mess.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Teching In

My beef about the PT stuff going on the EPR is there are some folks that try their damndest to make it but just can't do it. And it can be for a number of reasons.

I myself have gotten mainly 75-76's on all of my PT scores. My push ups and sit ups come in around the 50 mark and my run times are around the 12.90-13 minute time frame. (not much of a runner) I've tried to get my waist down from a size 37 but to no aval. I can't seem to lose any weight and I don't build muscle very well either. I eat veggies and fruits, I don't smoke and hardly drink, I've always had the same body. I'm 5'9 with a small frame and built thick. I'm going to hit 30 next year.

After having 8 years in I would like to do my 20 and retire but at the same time I'm not about to kill myself if my body senses it's being overworked. I'll push myself but I won't kill myself trying.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
My beef about the PT stuff going on the EPR is there are some folks that try their damndest to make it but just can't do it. And it can be for a number of reasons.
I totally agree with you. This is one reason why I'd like to be a PTL. Currently our PTL is a **** about scores, weight measurements, etc. I believe, as a PTL, if you can clearly see a guy/gal making an honest effort to better themselves then throw them a frickin bone once in a while to help their scores. Not everybody has a 28" waist either..
Old 07-31-2007, 03:31 AM
TECH Regular

PT stuff is BS but I understand why its on there. I'm in the desert right now and being in "shape" has nothing to do with being hitting the ground. The AFSC's that need to be fit are normally fit for their own job (SOF, SF). But its whatever, I'll deal with it...its the "heritage" crap they keep pushing on us that pisses me off even more
Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I myself have gotten mainly 75-76's on all of my PT scores. My push ups and sit ups come in around the 50 mark and my run times are around the 12.90-13 minute time frame. (not much of a runner) I've tried to get my waist down from a size 37 but to no aval. I can't seem to lose any weight and I don't build muscle very well either. I eat veggies and fruits, I don't smoke and hardly drink, I've always had the same body. I'm 5'9 with a small frame and built thick. I'm going to hit 30 next year.

After having 8 years in I would like to do my 20 and retire but at the same time I'm not about to kill myself if my body senses it's being overworked. I'll push myself but I won't kill myself trying.
You really want to cut the weight? Kill the junk food/fast food. Then only eat from home as in home cooked meals BUT the real trick is getting food products from the grocery or commissary and reading the ingredients. Anything w/ Soy/MSG or the 30 billion other names for SOY have to go. You'll drop that waiste line like a rock. You'll see an improvement in 30 days no joke.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Hhhmm.....sounds like a 2 to me. Hell if I may ask why did they feel this guy deserved better than that?

You're not exactly "screwing" anyone by rating someone a 3 or a 4 unless they are a smoking hot troop that really goes the extra mile.

Look at what the EPR says. 4 is good. 3 is satisfactory. 2 is meeting the bare minimum. 1 means you do not meet the AF requirements.

5. means you met all the criteria, plus you went above and beyond.....you spearheaded setting up a squadron picnic....you gave up your weekends to work Habitat for Humanity to build a house for a Hurricane Katrina victim....you saved a helpless old lady from a burning building....those kinds of things are what a 5 represents.

Now you are correct, they have been cutting/copying/pasting bullets since day 1. I could show you all the EPR's written on me as an airman, I have firewall 5's where it talks of things I never did. All I did as a Sra and below was come to work and do my job. Guess my supervisors must've really liked me.

I myself avert from making up stuff as much as I can. I've been doing up a weekly activity report (WAR) every week so when it comes time to write a troops EPR I can go back and put down on paper factual info, rather than make something up. I also tell my troops to keep track of all they accomplish for EPR time though I think they get too bombarded with work and sometimes forget.
Sorry if i made it seem like i thought he did not deserve a 2, the kid was a POSand deserved less then a 2

I know what the 1 thru 5 means but really do they really need 5 cats. they either go above and beyound, meet the min, or they just can't get it right.
Does that mean if you got a kid that does get in trouble they auto get a 1, NO. And just because they get a LOC or LOR doesn't mean they dont desrvere a 3, it's all up to us as supervisors to make the choices that can make of break the young kids, if they are a POS get them the *&^$ out ASAP, it's better for them anyway and way better for everyone else.

I too have never got anything less then a 5 on my EPRs but did I really derserve a 5. HELL NO.... I personally think that there are VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY few true 5s out there. to tell the truth I can't think of any person that I have ever met in the AF that fulfills a 5. But what ever it's all corupted anyways. Not to say that giving a person a 4 will ruin them, I know plenty of people that have gotten a 4 hell even a 3 in their career and they are still making rank, it can be done but lets face it all in all a 5 is a good worker and a good attitude and looks good most the time.

I could go on about this for a long time but most of it is just rambling repeats of stuff that has already been said by others or myself.

ALL IN ALL EPRs
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ I agree with the above statement.

In my experience, the USAF is an average "3" in real world terms. I think that we are a victim of our own rating "skills". The problem is that you've got POS's out there that get 5's because their supervisors don't want to "hurt" their promotion ability, and not realizing that what they are doing is actutlaly making it MORE difficult to get the true airman promoted.

This is obviuosly a major problem on for the E-5 cycle, not to much on the higher ranks. once your an E-5 EPR's seem to change, and obviously once you've made MSgt, it REALLY changes and you are more judged on your leadership abilities. The ratio of E7's that get "in trouble" is far less than E4 and below. Make it difficult to make E5 and make it easier for E6 and above and I think the USAF might be a better place. But you can't promote TO much, then you've got to many chief's and not enough indians.

In my experience when I made E5 at 3.5 years, was I ready? No, did I deserve it? Sure, I have the skills and the EPR's (NOT ALL 5's, during that cycle I had 5 4 4 and still made it), only because the E5 promotion % was 65%. Is that fair? Depends, the older NCO's that tested for rank in the mid 90's thought it was horrible because when THEY tested, most of the time the 1st 3 times was mathmatically impossible to make it. Maybe we're reaping what we are sewing when it comes to this issue. If we would quit promoting just the ones that do the job and go home, it would be better.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SRZ
You really want to cut the weight? Kill the junk food/fast food. Then only eat from home as in home cooked meals BUT the real trick is getting food products from the grocery or commissary and reading the ingredients. Anything w/ Soy/MSG or the 30 billion other names for SOY have to go. You'll drop that waiste line like a rock. You'll see an improvement in 30 days no joke.
Uhh....first off I usually don't eat fast food. Well maybe once a week. I usually go home and eat stuff from the commissary for lunch.

I think alot of it is the processed crap they are mass producing today. Seems like in todays day and age preservatives are added to pretty much everything. I may be wrong but this is my belief as to partly why obesity is on the rise.

There are other factors as well. Yes I am aware fast food isn't good for you. Hell sometimes I even question Subway....seeing how they love to flaunt Jared off as "the guy who lost weight by eating at Subway eating a turkey sandwich on carbohydrates and then eating a bag of carboydrates"...ok, so this guy didn't work out at the gym at all? Isn't there more to this story than what their telling us?

I also drink alot of water. I am not a big soda drinker but I do drink it occasionally. I also don't drink much either and I don't smoke.

And yes Compstall, I know some people in our shop that are so damn skinny around the waist they can almost walk the whole PT test and still pass with flying colors.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 AM
12 Second Club

not that it's fair or anything but I got a 33 inch waist max situps and pushups with time to spare and can almost walk the 1.5 mile in the time i need to make a 80. but there are guys that I work with that max pushups and situps and run in 12.50 to 13.50 and cant pass because they got a 40 something waist. these guys are not "fat" most are 6 foot 2 and up. Hell we got a guy a yr or so back that ran in the low 9s maxed pushups and situps and only got a 65. He's about 6'5 230 and built you gonna tell me he's outta shape... just another AF corupted program
Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Uhh....first off I usually don't eat fast food. Well maybe once a week. I usually go home and eat stuff from the commissary for lunch.

I think alot of it is the processed crap they are mass producing today. Seems like in todays day and age preservatives are added to pretty much everything. I may be wrong but this is my belief as to partly why obesity is on the rise.
That's true 100%. That's why I say look at the lables and if you see "soy" 9 times out of 10 there's a list of other ingredients that are included that contribute to weight gain. You get a more pure product when soy isn't on the ingredients "less perservatives". Didn't mean to come off the way I did w/ the assumption. You sound like me pretty much w/ no smoking no soda's and plenty water. I drink 4 to 4 1/2 liters of water a day. We've got a frige dedicated to water. Only other drinks in our home is Ocean spray ruby red tangerine, Capri Sun's Orange and milk plus the wine which just sits there and collects dust.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by frisky2101
not that it's fair or anything but I got a 33 inch waist max situps and pushups with time to spare and can almost walk the 1.5 mile in the time i need to make a 80. but there are guys that I work with that max pushups and situps and run in 12.50 to 13.50 and cant pass because they got a 40 something waist. these guys are not "fat" most are 6 foot 2 and up. Hell we got a guy a yr or so back that ran in the low 9s maxed pushups and situps and only got a 65. He's about 6'5 230 and built you gonna tell me he's outta shape... just another AF corupted program
Hey, at least its better than the bike test...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Compstall
I totally agree with you. This is one reason why I'd like to be a PTL. Currently our PTL is a **** about scores, weight measurements, etc. I believe, as a PTL, if you can clearly see a guy/gal making an honest effort to better themselves then throw them a frickin bone once in a while to help their scores. Not everybody has a 28" waist either..
I through my PTL a bone (if ya know what I mean ) I got a 92 and didnt even get up to go to my test....strange. haha Lets just hope the GF doesnt find out.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Speak of the devil. I've just been talked to be the first guy in our shop to have to write up on a troop using the new EPR system, which is totally different from the old style.

I take it under each box on page 1 the only bullets you can input must pertain to the job?

What about page 2? Are you suppose to write that too? or does your boss?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Once the AF started getting serious about fitness several years ago, we all knew that the fitness scores were going to become part of the rating system, it was only a matter of time.

Yet you still had people not going to the gym, getting/staying fat, etc. Now that it's a part of the rating system, alot of people are now like, "Oh ****!". It shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.

Personally, I'm glad it's part of the rating system.