Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF guys what do you do and how do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ja_wolf
Another Supply guy here.

The job ain't so bad...just always hearing about force retraining and being phased out. I was on the retraining list last year, but they messed up, and I'm still supply. I don't mind. I just hated where I was.

Screw AMC/AETC. I'm PACAF (Osan) until June, then hitting USAFE (Lakenheath) for the second time in my career.
Bringin the LSx?

-justin
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thumbs up

I am a MC-130 Flight Engineer. I love what I do! If you are going to stay in, most of the aircrew jobs (boom, loadmaster and several others) are pretty good deals. If you like to travel then consider them!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 130fe
I am a MC-130 Flight Engineer. I love what I do! If you are going to stay in, most of the aircrew jobs (boom, loadmaster and several others) are pretty good deals. If you like to travel then consider them!
Where all do you guys travel in the MC-130?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bradl1982
I work supply here at Barksdale and just hate coming in to work every day. I'm going to look into crosstraining and see what's available. I would love to have a job where I have a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. I think I would like to crosstrain into comm and do something with computers or maybe weather because I've always been interested in that. I don't want to be a crew chief or do any kind of aircraft maintenance so don't bother telling me about those. Yeah so anyway like the title says what do you do?
Integrated Avionics Systems AKA Communications/Navigations AKA AF(Avionics Flight)

My plane is the E-4B. It's the jet the secretary of defense tends to ride on. Granted my job can be VERY satisfying....however, most days I absolutely hate it. There is so much crap I got to learn that it's unbelievable. This one kid has been here for almost a year and a half and isn't even a 5 level, I hope I don't end up like him. Bad trainers if you ask me. On top of that, it takes about 10 years to actually learn everything you need to know. By the time I learn enough to do work on my own, i'll be out of the military, which is 3 years from now. If I stayed in, all that training would go to waste, cuz I believe it retires in 2012.

It's so busy sometimes I don't have time to wipe my own ***, and I can't stand 90% of the people in the shop. I get along with a few guys, but most of em are complete jackasses. It seems as though people in my shop do anything to screw each other over too. It's so fucked up. One day fists were almost thrown. I know the air force is for me, but this job isn't. I wanted something simple where i could see the world. Anything but this. I wish I could of gotten loadmaster or something with computers. I always liked computers. I am learning a lot though about working with tools and basic electronic stuff. I'm doing my best to stay positive, but today was a horrible day at the shop. Got a 44% on my CDC practice test then a 52%, then a 58%. I'm trying to memorize the answers and I think it's working. It's the only way I'll be able to pass....vent over

Fire fighter sounds like a good job. I just need a job where I work my *** off during the day and go home and the day is over. I could never do an office job. Maybe computers isn't for me then.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CALL911
Where all do you guys travel in the MC-130?
They go wherever the world turns.

Oh yeah, I teach hydraulics on C-130's and the In-Flight Refueling system. Love the job.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Did B1 Crew Chief for 8 years and at first I loved it. We actually had fun at work, even though we worked a crap load we still had fun. Over the past few years it has just gone down hill with MORE work with LESS people. It just got to the point where I did what I had too and that was it, I used to always do more and go above. But you never get appreciated for anything just basically given more **** to do. The flight line is a crazy place with all kinds of different people, for the most part I got a long with pretty much everyone.

Now...Im at the DOD Fire Academy and freakin love it. I got so damn lucky to be here and I am very thankfull for that. Firefighter IMO is one of the best jobs you can get in the AF or military for that matter. I cant wait to graduate and move on to my next base and start a new career.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Launching!

POL love this job i get the best of both worlds be around a/c and indoors.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a Ground Radio Maintenance tech in Comm. We basically program/maintain all LMR's (brick radios) and repeaters on base, install vehicle radios (cops, lol), install desktop basestations, maintain the base Giant Voice system, troubleshoot Command Post/Base Ops radios, and maintain Personal Wireless crap (Blackberries, gov't cell phones) for Wing level leadership. I like it...we have our slow days and busy days. We are the "silent medium". If comm is perfect and everyone's radios are working well, nobody has a clue who we are. However, if Airman Joe-Schmoe can't talk to his supervisor on his radio, every person from their squadron's leadership suddenly hates us...forever. Ah....the life of Comm.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Crew Chief on F-4's and A-10's.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh, I can see the flames now..........I am a Military Training Leader(MTL) at Sheppard AFB...Prior F15 Avionics instructor, and a EF111A avionics tech.

Ok, let the flames begin...

Jack
Old 08-26-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

haha, I actually thought about being a MTL, would never ever want to do it at Sheppard though. When I was put into the NCORP deal I thought about doing a special duty but thankfully the I got a firefighter slot.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Teching In

1C5X1 -Aerospace Control and Warning Systems.

Got a cushy NORAD operations job and I LOVE it! We don't get action very often but when we do its always a rush.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99WS7
haha, I actually thought about being a MTL, would never ever want to do it at Sheppard though. When I was put into the NCORP deal I thought about doing a special duty but thankfully the I got a firefighter slot.
Do you know where you are going to be stationed at?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04

Fire fighter sounds like a good job. I just need a job where I work my *** off during the day and go home and the day is over.
Then being a FF isn't the job you would want. Because after everyone else on base gets off at 1630, you are still at work. Then you get to go to base housing at 0230 because some dumbass drunk airman beat up his wife. Don't get me wrong I love to job, it just sucks getting woke up that early in the morning
Old 09-07-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Then being a FF isn't the job you would want. Because after everyone else on base gets off at 1630, you are still at work. Then you get to go to base housing at 0230 because some dumbass drunk airman beat up his wife. Don't get me wrong I love to job, it just sucks getting woke up that early in the morning
Well hopefully that doesn't happen very often. I wouldn't say I get off at 1630 everyday either. I guess I'd need more details about this job. I don't want someone to tell me so and so job is an easy 7-4 job. Cuz my recruiter said you go to work and go home, just like any other job......HAHAHAHAHAHAH yea right....
Old 09-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Teching In

c-130 crew chief, i love it minus the consted 4 on 4 off deployment cycle...damn we need to be in an aef
Old 09-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Teching In

We work 12 hour shifts either 0600-1800 or 1800-0600 but we work 2 days on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. The 3 days in a row is Fri-Sun so every other weekend is a 3 day weekend. If you take leave on wed and thursday you just got yourself 7 days off in a row. Im tellin ya its the best schedule ever. Every day is basically a Monday or a Friday. Once you start getting tired of work you have the next day off. Think about it... you're only working 182 days a year. Take your 30 days of leave and thats only 152 out of 365 days a year you're working. Before that schedule we were working 7 on, 3 off, 7 on 4 off. Talk about SH#TTY!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Right now SJ is trying to go to 24 on and 48 off for us firefighters. If you figure in taking 30 days of leave a year we will only work a total of around 100 days
Old 09-09-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Do you know where you are going to be stationed at?
Davis-Monthan, Tucson....word! Any FF's know what there schedule is?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

firefighter here and love it. deff isnt enough real fires tho. Fairchild AFB, Wa

Quick Reply: AF guys what do you do and how do you like it?