Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I need info good and bad about Sheppard AFB for SrA/SSgt w/ dependents!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I need info good and bad about Sheppard AFB for SrA/SSgt w/ dependents!

I've only been there during my tech school (7 weeks?) so give me all the info, good and bad. I'm from TEXAS (DFW area) I know about the tornado magnet.

How about the "scene"? The emission? My car is running w/o cats right now.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Reason for return? Instructor/MTL? This place is a whole different animal if you are permanent party. Have you ever been in AETC as a non student? It is different to say the least.

The base probably has not changed much since the last time you were here. There are a few new buildings, mini mall is larger with more food stores. Base housing is now privatized which can be good and bad.

Depending on where you live, and age of your dependent(s) the schools are not bad.

The car scene? Depends on with who and where you hang out. Obviously, Dallas has a huge car scene, so does OKC, but there are plenty of smaller shows/cruises around such as Vernon (summers last blast). Inspections are hit or miss. No emission stations, but you may get hit on the yearly vehicle inspection(safety) for not having cats. They made me change my headlight bulbs because they had a blue tint, and my car did not come factory with them..BS!!! who cares, its a 63!

I came here as a SSgt with 2 little ones in 01. I enjoy it here, and will stay if I can.

Jack
Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tornados all went north. We haven't been in our storm cellar in well over 20 years. There is no emission inspections here so getting inspected without cats is no problem. I just got mine inspected last week.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:49 AM
12 Second Club

Guessing it's been about 3-5 yrs since you've been there? not much changed I was there in late 01 for tech school and again in early 06 for 7lvl school, not much changed still boring as all hell, I talked with GoldZ when i went up there but was never able to catch up with the car sence there.

VERNON is def. a good time going to try and go again this yr if I can
Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wichita Falls is a very clean, modern city of 100,000+ people. We have three colleges, an excellent library, about a dozen golf courses within a short drive, an active group of fast car nuts, lots of car shows and cruises, one of the best automotive machine shop / engine building shops in Texas complete with both engine and chassis dynos, several area lakes for fishing or skiing, three movie plexes, a large shopping mall, two drag strips in the area, nitrous is easily availablable, a dirt track and a paved track for the roundy round fans, several clubs for dancing and drinking, cheaper gas than any of the major cities, three airports, plenty of nice parks, housing is very reasonable, no big city traffic jams, and if you want anything else we are only two hours from Dallas/Fort Worth and Oklahoma City. Besides all that we have some the friendliest people you will ever meet.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, if I don't get the orders to go to Hickam, I'm going to try for instructor duty. I'm not missing Texas HEAT, but I do like Texas scene.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by babydeuce
Reason for return? Instructor/MTL? This place is a whole different animal if you are permanent party. Have you ever been in AETC as a non student? It is different to say the least.

Jack
I love AETC so much I'm in for another round!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bene
Yeah, if I don't get the orders to go to Hickam, I'm going to try for instructor duty. I'm not missing Texas HEAT, but I do like Texas scene.
I was at Sheppard until Dec 06 then moved to Hickam. I wuld go back to Sheppard if I could, my job in Base CES is being contracted out, Hickam is nice too, though. Got a decent car scene here too. I was floored the first show I went to here thinking that it's a little too remote to really have some nice rides out here; WRONG!!!!!!!! The level of high dollar rides and such out here is astounding.

I had heard about the Sheppard scene, but never got to catch up with anyone to check it out, but I did get to check out some of the shows. Big one every Feb, world of wheels, and Vernon, not to mention the weekly shows and Super Chevy in Dallas. Either way, you're set.

Quick Reply: I need info good and bad about Sheppard AFB for SrA/SSgt w/ dependents!