Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

I'm Goin AGE!!! (USAF, I'm leaving CES)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just missed the split rim accident. The hole was still there when I got there. I do recall Joe Beck. I am suprised at the number of people that are still there. I was sure no one wanted to stay any longer than nessassary and no one would ever go back. Ask one of the old heads about a guy that was there, can't remember his name, married the mayors daughter or some thing like it and drove his new Porsche 928 to work. I laughed so hard when he told me he could not afford to have it serviced at the dealer. I guess that was the deal- you can drive it but you have to keep up with the service. I think he just said thanks but no thanks and gave it back. LOL
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Launching!

"I'm SO fed up with this! I'm going to just bide my time till my cross training window opens up and then I'm going to a shop where everything RUNS, and it BETTER, and everyone is responsible for fixing the stuff... Ahhhhhh... And their tools are taken care of.. "

if you really want to work on big green boxes go ahead. haha jk i actually like it in AGE. i see a really good future when i get out. thats why i picked it. if you have any questions about it pm me ill be glad to answer any ? you have. oh and by the way our **** sux. its always broke. lol
Old 09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 405dave
I just missed the split rim accident. The hole was still there when I got there. I do recall Joe Beck. I am suprised at the number of people that are still there. I was sure no one wanted to stay any longer than nessassary and no one would ever go back. Ask one of the old heads about a guy that was there, can't remember his name, married the mayors daughter or some thing like it and drove his new Porsche 928 to work. I laughed so hard when he told me he could not afford to have it serviced at the dealer. I guess that was the deal- you can drive it but you have to keep up with the service. I think he just said thanks but no thanks and gave it back. LOL
Lol I'll have to ask about that.....

There's still a few old heads here but not many that I know of...Paine and Scaccia top the list...

Was Dave Jackson here when you were here? He's still here but he's got orders to PCS out of here soon.

Joe Beck I think is now retired, I know he moved to another shop (not AGE) here on base and I saw him on and off a few years afterwards, but I've not seen him in a good 5 years at least.

You might remember Robert Dean (aka "Doobie Dean"), or Paul Russell, or Donn Tracy, or Pete Matusick, or Terry Allspach, or Roger Blanchard....all of those guys are retired now, Tracy being the last one just a few months ago.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Yep, I worked for the Doobie man for a while, he was a great guy. I know Paul and Blanchard. I really can not believe they were there long enough for you to meet them. It is a real small world. I still have a close friend I e-mail often that dated Dean back in the early 90's. She got out got a nursing degree and joined up again as an officer. I think she's a major now!! E-4 now major- I should have got my degree. Well, you going to hang around there forever or you trying to get orders?? By your avatar it does not seem like you like it there.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Well Dave I've tried to get orders a few times now, and every time they get turned down.

I don't know if you've heard but Pope has been doomed by the BRAC, which means most of the enlisted will not be here in FY 2009....as of now the 440th AF Reserve out of Milwaukee WI has started to move in and set up camp on base, and after most of the enlisted are gone Bragg will take over the other half.

There will be a small handful of folks that are here now who will stay behind when all is said and done, but anyone that's been here over 4 years (myself included) will be forced to move.

Our squadron commander came down and told us if we wanted to we could all put in BOP's and most likely get them since Pope will be no more and we all need to go somewhere. All of us put in our BOP's but only 2 people from the AGE flight got theirs approved.

Now here's the fun part: BRAC decided to send our A-10's to Moody AFB and our C-130's to Little Rock. We have a small handful of 130's left but the 41 AS has done moved to Little Rock. Half of the fleet of A-10's are still here but they're slated to move down south before long.

The last I checked the equals list the vacancies for AGE to Moody were like 9 SrA and 6 SSgt's I think. There were a few other bases but they only needed 1 or 2. As of right now I still have a re-submitted BOP pending in the MPF.

It's my belief what will happen is they're temprarly dissaproving BOP's because they want to make sure they get all the Moody slots filled first......I think they're going to take all of us that's been here at Pope the longest and mandate who will be going by rank and time on station...i.e the SSgt who's been at Pope the longest over 4 years. Then once all the Moody slots are filled they might start approving BOP's again.

Not saying that's what is actually going to happen, but that's my belief. Yes I've tried to leave here before.

And had I not just gotten married I would've told them to ship me to Korea.

Lol....Paul Russell quote of the day......DUDE! Let's "UN-***" this place.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Thats exactly how I left there, a volenteer slot to Osan. Camp casy and camp red cloud were showing up and I knew I didn't want that action. The best part was BOP after a year. Man, I could do a year standing on my head. LOL You should look at Fairchild, Kirtland, and Tinker. I did all of them and had a blast at each. And yes I can see that quote coming from big Paul. HAHAHHAA
Old 09-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Teching In

What's "Camp Casy" or "Camp Red Cloud"? Never heard of those two.....

When did you leave Kirtland? We have a guy that came here from there last year, maybe a little earlier....Jeremy Hall....did you work w/him?

I'll give those bases some consideration....my wife wants to stay on the east coast b/c all her family is from Jax NC....not sure if she'd like Tinker with all them whirly clouds going on.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Camp Casy and Red Cloud are army post right on the DMZ. They have mep404's that they use as power when they go to the field. Guess who gets to service them? Yep, AGE people. A good friend of mine got non-vol. assignment to Casy and did a year with 5 Age guys and the rest army. He hated it. A army guy who he worked for wrote his EPR and didn't have a clue. Took him years to recover from that. I left Kirtland in '97 when I crossed over to F.E. The name hall rings a bell but I can not picture him in my head. One of my best friends teaches FTD there so I know Hall knows Alvin Tucker. Thats the guy that still owns my 93 blown coupe. I could not stand anyone I didn't know driving my car so I called him up and he wanted it so I sold it to him.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Teching In

There was alot of fast 5.0's there from 90-93. Two of us in the shop and one in metals tech. were running blowers, and NOS was as common as, well, 5.0 mustangs.
Hey just wondering if anyone in those days were running anything other than a 5.0? What about the Grand Nationals? Did anyone on base run one?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Ask him if Vernon Dew is still alive, I think they were close.
Yes Vernon Dew is still alive and well. He works in my shop now.

Quick Reply: I'm Goin AGE!!! (USAF, I'm leaving CES)