Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Can you get out of tickets with your CAC card...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten out of a couple using it. It depends on location. I've had all my success in the south and not near a military base. I'm positive that this trick won't work in Washinton State.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

red2003cobra-where at in Wa are u?im stuck a Fairchild. yea the CAC works in FL thats forshore. I got pulled over doin 92 in a 70 and just got the slow down next time talk. not to sure about in Wa tho havent been pulled over yet.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Teching In

I'm at McChord. East side of the state the CAC might work. West of the mountains, No Way!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

I never pull out my ID unless they ask something stupid "why are you in a hurry?" then I give them the "going to base" routine. Never had to tell them I'm actually military.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also never reach for the CAC. Some cops can tell you're military by your demeanor, haircut, uniform items in the back, etc. If they can't tell I'm mil, I'll never use my military status as leverage.

Needless to say, I've been asked to show a secondary ID before and that's when I'll get the CAC. It has gotten me out of three tickets. My BDUs have gotten me out of another. There has been once instance where the trooper acted all tough, saw my CAC and did a 180 on his attitude, but still wrote me a ticket. Doesn't always work, but it does garner some amount of respect.

It is nice to be pardoned by the law, though. Police are great folks.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Police are great folks.
You went too far...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Excuse me for being ignorant, but what does CAC mean? I have never heard that acronym in all of my 6 years.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Its worked a few times for and others it hasnt. The main one it did was me and a buddie were very lucky on. We were racing just out of town and got hit by red and blue. There were pretty cool with us and let us off with a big warning! Were both mil. Troopers in TX never budge, city cops are hit or miss and Sheirfs for some reason seem to be cooler.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by msgZ28
Excuse me for being ignorant, but what does CAC mean? I have never heard that acronym in all of my 6 years.
Your white common access card.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your white common access card.
"one white common access card"...i remember i read the full name when the TI wanted in the door. "Technical Sergeant Jefferey M. Martin"..."DONT YOU ******* EVER SAY MY FULL NAME!!!!"
Old 09-24-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
"one white common access card"...i remember i read the full name when the TI wanted in the door. "Technical Sergeant Jefferey M. Martin"..."DONT YOU ******* EVER SAY MY FULL NAME!!!!"
Dorm guard was the ****.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dorm guard was the ****.
I hated it, I'd rather go hide in the corner haha. I got blamed for busting the flap too. It had been broken since day one, but of course they probably blamed everyone every time they come through. eh the good 'ol days
Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Needless to say, I've been asked to show a secondary ID before and that's when I'll get the CAC.

My drivers license expired in 1997, so I have to show both my license and my military ID.

According to state law, as long as I'm active duty, my PA drivers license doesn't expire. So why renew it?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At Cannon: CAC + Police = death

At home in Michigan where there is not a strong military presence the CAC is a get outta jail free card
Old 09-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grave
Be careful whipping out your CAC... it might get you arrested.

I know around here... military ID doesn't mean squat. I've been pulled over more times in the 2 1/2 years I've been here at Cannon than I have my entire life before PCS'ing here. We have very long, straight open roads here, you see. Plus, the State Troopers don't budge an inch when they pull you over. And they nail people every day on the stretch of highway from base to town.

Cannon seems to be the only place where flashing your military ID doesn't work for me. My past assignments, if I got nabbed for speeding, I was almost always let off with a "warning". I can't say if that's because the cops were cool, or pro-military or whatever... or if I was just lucky.

NMSP and CPD are just ****** anyway. They give everyone tickets no matter what. I am from Albq and I grew up in Portales. Every time we would go to the "big city" the Clovis cops would pull us over, and we ALWAYS got tickets.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My drivers license expired in 1997, so I have to show both my license and my military ID.

According to state law, as long as I'm active duty, my PA drivers license doesn't expire. So why renew it?
haha thats great..that would be a free 18 dollars every few years here...i wonder if that applies here?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

You'll go to hell for this, but it worked for me.

If speeding, just tell the cop you and your wife are having family problems. Tell him she's been staying with her folks and you just got word she tried to take her own life. . .

I swear, you pull it off with a straight face, they'll let you go!

405/101 freeway interchange in LA doing 110mph in a Suburban!

I got off.

Semper Fi!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
haha thats great..that would be a free 18 dollars every few years here...i wonder if that applies here?
What state are you from? Check your home state's laws. Many states allow active duty personnel stationed outside of the state to keep their license without renewing it. Not all do, though. The state you're currently in (as long as it's not your home state) doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
At Cannon: CAC + Police = death

At home in Michigan where there is not a strong military presence the CAC is a get outta jail free card
Tell me about it! You would think as much as we support this next-to-nothing town that they would cut us some slack if we were going a couple miles over.

But nope.

I can't really say much on the Clovis PD, as I've had no run-ins with them. But the State cops in this part of NM are.... shall we say, stubborn.

Originally Posted by nesikachad
You'll go to hell for this, but it worked for me.

If speeding, just tell the cop you and your wife are having family problems. Tell him she's been staying with her folks and you just got word she tried to take her own life. . .

I swear, you pull it off with a straight face, they'll let you go!

405/101 freeway interchange in LA doing 110mph in a Suburban!

I got off.

Semper Fi!

Naw, the NM State Police will still ticket you. I was pulled over once heading to base, responding to an incident that happened. I explained to the cop why I was speeding (without revealing too much) and I still got a ticket.

The trooper's response?

"Then tell your commanding officer to pay your ticket if you were ordered to respond to base so quickly".

Old 09-28-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

What state are you from? Check your home state's laws. Many states allow active duty personnel stationed outside of the state to keep their license without renewing it. Not all do, though. The state you're currently in (as long as it's not your home state) doesn't matter.
I'm stationed a few miles from home...
Old 10-03-2007, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Lol. Yeah Yesterday I drove for about 4 hours, to go pick up my new puppy, On the way there I got pulled over by a State Trooper, for not having a front license plate on my POV. Regulation I have to have front and rear. When he came up to the window He asked the usuall, license, proof of insurance, and registration. Well while I was looking for my Proof of Insurance i gave hime my Military ID, and Drivers license and Reg. He took one look at it, and said get it fixed see ya.... Lol.

And then on the way home, I got pulled over by another state trooper in the next county over, Same thing. But this time he gave me a lecture, and then sent me off with out a ticket as well.

I got lucky. Lol. CAC Card for the Win!!!

Lane

Quick Reply: Can you get out of tickets with your CAC card...