11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fill up my beaters on base, and that is it. Our base only has 87 anyway
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Grave
The only thing to do if your're sincerely concerned about the quality of base gasoline is to get it independantly analyized. Other than that... it's all rumors and speculation.
Yea your right my personal experiance with it doesnt mean dick either 2 mpgs less is a lot when "its the same gas"
Old 09-17-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

I go through base gas faster than 93 off base. Reason I don't fill up on base anymore. That and the fact that AAFES sucks!
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dex
Yea your right my personal experiance with it doesnt mean dick either

Well, it IS speculation, dude. Don't get all pussyhurt on me just because you "lose" 2mpg by supposedly using base gas. Do you have ANY proof behind this?

I don't think you do. In fact, you probably have no idea what you're talking about, so yes... your personal experience doesn't mean dick, even though you are one.

Maybe you just have a POS car that is a gas hog, or maybe you have leadfoot and want to blame a certain fuel for losing your precious 2mpg?

So why don't YOU go get the gas analized. Oh, but you won't... because you're afraid that you'll be proven wrong.

Last edited by Grave; 09-18-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Tuning cars here in NC with post gas and off post gas makes a huge difference. Too many of us have had problems with it, it is predictable and repeatable. Why would I pay to have the gas analyzed when I already know I can use off post gas, add a couple degrees of timing and pick up ~10 hp. Are you trying to defend Aafes? I mean seriously.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Boehlke
Are you trying to defend Aafes? I mean seriously.
It may seem that way in this thread, but no... I'm not. AAFES does their fair share pissing me off at times, mainly at Clothing Sales when nothing seems to be in stock that I need.

It just annoys me when people "heard" from a "friend" or know a "buddy" who overheard a cashier talking about where AAFES gets their gas from. I always hate speculation. It's how rumors get started, then people end up taking it to heart. It's one of those things that if I was genuinely concerned about the gas quality, I'd want to see actual test results. People saying they "heard" the gas sucks just isn't good enough.

Somebody on here posted that all gas is sourced by local contracts... which makes sense, being how the military is. If that's the case, and I don't know if it is... but if it's true, then AAFES would get their gas from the same places all the other local gas stations get their fuel. So if AAFES gas sucks... then the rest of the gas in your local area should suck too.

It's just the whole stigma that everything AAFES sucks. But what would you do if you were overseas? Pay $6 a gallon off base because you don't want AAFES gas? Hell no.

I don't doubt that you may get better results with tuning off base. I'm in no position to argue that point, because I'm like 1,500 miles away from you and never seen you or your cars before.

But to say you lose "2 MPG" by using base gas is biased. So many other factors come into consideration when you determine fuel effiency besides what brand of fuel you use: Enviromental conditions, traffic, condition of your vehicle, tire pressure... you get the idea.

I could easily say I lose 2 MPG by using base gas. But what I may not tell you is that my tires are 10psi low, I haven't changed my oil in 8 months, and I was driving WOT on the highway, and sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic for 3 hours that day. But since I lost 2 MPG... it must be AAFES fault because their gas sucks!

See my point?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Yah, I do see your point. There are variables that have to be considered and while aafes does serve a purpose, their greater purpose seems to be capitalizing on their monopoly of market share. Hell maybe they do get their gas from the same place bp does, and they just have shitty underground tanks. I'm not sure why their gas sucks here, and even if you're like 99% of the drivers out there you won't notice a difference. Its the few of us who care about the 1-2 mpg, or the 10 hp, or whatever who pick up on these things. I'm sure the same thing that causes detonation on our dynos can probably make gas mileage suffer.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Launching!

Well, my co-worker had his gas analyzed and it had a lot of diesel in it. He has to file a claim with AAFES, and they are paying to replace the motor in his bike.

Quick Reply: base gas