Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Air Force Career Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aerial gunner sound good to anyone? Hell im open to suggestions and researching all of them. Thanks for the responses
Old 09-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Teching In

If you're thinking of being a cop, how about pararescue or combat controller? These guys are the least understood of the Special Forces but are just as bad *** as the SEALS and green berets IMO. You get to shoot guns like a cop except it's cooler...and tougher. No offense meant to the cops on board! Only downside is your gone a lot, and have a much higher chance of getting killed in a combat mission.

Air traffic controller is also a good job in the AF...last I checked they still get huge reenlistment bonuses plus you can get out and make good money as a civilian.

When I was in the AF I was a helo crew chief. It was a good time but if I had to do it over again I would've gone into machine shop or NDI.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

I just got out today. It was a good experience but I am ready for other things. DO NOT BE AN SP, AND DO NOT DO AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE. I did maintenance for 6 years. Do something medical, you can't lose there. If you want to travel alot do Load master, that can be pretty cool. If they tell you that you have to wait for those jobs, then wait. It is worth the wait to get a good job. Shitty jobs pay the same as good ones.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ztrouble
aerial gunner sound good to anyone? Hell im open to suggestions and researching all of them. Thanks for the responses

alot of the guys i talk to tell me it's not as cool as it sounds unless your a gunner on a chopper. anything else your loading rounds. loadmaster would be cool lots of travel there pretty much an airborne box kicker. i know a guy that was a sensor operator which is a 1a4 i think. he did some cool hush hush **** and has like 97 confirmed kills lol thats a fun *** job. his stories are great. the 1a3 guys are airborne comm they get to fly on jets like AWACS, JSTARS, E4-B however they're over manned right now so you might have to wait. if you need anymore info let me know man. i currently have 7 years and i'm a SSgt and i'll do whatever i can to help since i hate seeing unhappy people in the AF.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vee 6
If you're thinking of being a cop, how about pararescue or combat controller? These guys are the least understood of the Special Forces but are just as bad *** as the SEALS and green berets IMO. You get to shoot guns like a cop except it's cooler...and tougher. No offense meant to the cops on board! Only downside is your gone a lot, and have a much higher chance of getting killed in a combat mission.
Joining special forces is definitally not easy and you would have to really love that lifestyle to continue to do it. I think pararescue has a 90% failure rate for their tech school and a lot of those people are very fit. Keep in mind if you fail the training for any job they are going to reassign you another job and you will not have too much choice in the matter (most likely they put you in SF or services)

Air traffic controller is also a good job in the AF...last I checked they still get huge reenlistment bonuses plus you can get out and make good money as a civilian.
I think air traffic controller has the highest rate of suicide for all jobs in the air force which is why there in a renlistment bonus. It is a highly stressful job (you are in charge of directing planes and if one has an accident you are responsible ie. jailtime) If you feel you can handle stressful situations with a clear head then air traffic controller is indeed a good job in and out the military
Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
Ditto on not becoming an SP, you'll be working 12 + hr shifts and 6 month deployments VERY frequently, you'll also get to go outside the wire and maybe shoot some insurgents....

Also when you go in DO NOT put "open general" down for your job, or you most likely WILL become an SP.

The working 12 hr shifts isnt neccessarily true. My Unit doesn't do that since we are just infantry. Missile security, flight line, and law enforcement and air base defense have their perks so think hard if you want to become a cop. Ive been in this career for 4 years, and yes I hate my job, but the specialty schools I get to go to are awesome so I cant really complain about everything.

Just put it this way, if like to travel to crappy places and do crappy jobs, go ahead and join SP.

Also, SF also have Combat Arms Training and maintainence and Military Working Dog (CATM & K9), but those are only available after you pass you 5 level course test.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Teching In

I dont recommend becoming an SP. I cant think of anyone I know who liked that job for a very long period of time. HEre are some questions you'll want to ask yourself.. Do you want to deploy, Do you want to fly,do you want a 9-5 job, can you handle working 12 hour midnight shifts, will your experience help you when you get out and become a civilian, do you want to be stationed near family? After you answer some of these you can figure out if what career field and if Active Duty, Guard or Reserves is right for you.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HFLDtA
I came in as a Helo Crewchief & retrained into Supply- 2 bad decisions on my part. Im definately gettin out in 15 months.

Whoever told you that cross training from being a crew chief to supply would get you a better job lied to you The service isn't so bad. There are worse things you could do with your life.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Everything they say abt SP is true if u like to work on cars and what not look to be a maintainer but if ur looking for money or what not and a career outside maintaners make allot of money or somethin like Air traffic controller but thats kinda hard other than that dont be personel or services shitty hours and crappy jobs.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

When I was in the AF I was a helo crew chief. It was a good time but if I had to do it over again I would've gone into machine shop or NDI.

Combat Controller and Pararescue arent special forces, they are special operations.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet 98
Combat Controller and Pararescue arent special forces, they are special operations.
Yes you're right, for some reason my brain got all retarded and typed that out when I was thinking about SEALS and green berets the whole time. I should have know better especially since I've been in AFSOC and CSAR squadrons my whole AF career.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rons 00z
alot of the guys i talk to tell me it's not as cool as it sounds unless your a gunner on a chopper. anything else your loading rounds. loadmaster would be cool lots of travel there pretty much an airborne box kicker. i know a guy that was a sensor operator which is a 1a4 i think. he did some cool hush hush **** and has like 97 confirmed kills lol thats a fun *** job. his stories are great. the 1a3 guys are airborne comm they get to fly on jets like AWACS, JSTARS, E4-B however they're over manned right now so you might have to wait. if you need anymore info let me know man. i currently have 7 years and i'm a SSgt and i'll do whatever i can to help since i hate seeing unhappy people in the AF.

Man, whoever told you 1A3's were overmanned were feeding you a line... most squadrons... especially at Offutt are undermanned. hence the reason we still have an SRB all the way up to zone C
Old 09-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Teching In

I am a Crew Chief C-17's and love my job. I have been a Flying Crew Chief since 1999 and have seen pleanty for 2 life times. If you don't won't to work on planes then look for a flying job like loadmasters, flight engineers, or Boom's this is where you will make the most money (if you don't spend it all at the bar) and I get treated better from the air crews. This is IMO, but do what you want and have fun doing it.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

My suggestion (if I may) Do what ever you want to do BUT make the best out of your decision. Pick something that will better your career when you get out. Example, not alot of bombs being loaded on civilian aircraft. If you stay 4, 6, 10, 20 (like me) years you have to have something under your belt to help you in civilian sector plus an education. Be what you want to be but make the best of it!!!!
Buce
Old 09-18-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PEZ97T/A
Everything they say abt SP is true if u like to work on cars and what not look to be a maintainer but if ur looking for money or what not and a career outside maintaners make allot of money or somethin like Air traffic controller but thats kinda hard other than that dont be personel or services shitty hours and crappy jobs.

maintainers dont make alot of money? like what would they make less compaired to the other's you mentioned? I was really wanting to go in as a maintainer for the cars but also would like to travel around
Old 09-18-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

if one of the reasons you're joining is to see different places, i would definately steer clear of being a ground linguist. on the other hand, if you want stability, maybe it's for you.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jasonk
Man, whoever told you 1A3's were overmanned were feeding you a line... most squadrons... especially at Offutt are undermanned. hence the reason we still have an SRB all the way up to zone C

did they just not drop the SRB? i know a bunch of guys tried to cross train to 1a3 but were denied because of overmanning from the merger with the radar guys.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

maintainers dont make alot of money? like what would they make less compaired to the other's you mentioned? I was really wanting to go in as a maintainer for the cars but also would like to travel around

I meant when u get outside the air force i maintain computer systems on fighter jets i have had Tsgts come out and start makin 85,000 a year.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rons 00z
did they just not drop the SRB? i know a bunch of guys tried to cross train to 1a3 but were denied because of overmanning from the merger with the radar guys.

Hmm, now i have to do some checking, I re-up'ed last year at 3.5 in zone A, and had not heard of any changes... And while I was in omaha, we had a hell of a time keeping 1a3's, sounds like things have changed...also could have to do with Rank, seems the career feild has become very young
Old 09-19-2007, 03:12 AM
11 Second Club

Dont come in to be a cop, dont come in to be a maintainer either. You work INS now and paperpush, keep on doing it in the airforce, go for Contracting(get trained while you are in and get out and make more money doing it). Be a computer programmer(good pay on the outside as well). If I could do it again I would do something that I could leave today and have a job the next day. I'm a jet engine mechanic(almost 9 years) maintenance is not the life.
All of this is IMO.

Quick Reply: Air Force Career Reccomendations