Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Anyone bought a car and had it it registered in another state?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone bought a car and had it it registered in another state?

I am looking to buy a car here in Virginia and want to register it in Texas. Also, do I have to title it in Texas as well? If anyone can help please chime in
Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

yes you do, i would suggest not paying cash for the car because you will have to pay taxes when you reg it!!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

not sure about navy were you have to go but i know on af bases once you get the car in the state you register it get a form and you will not have to pay taxes in the state you register it. We get ours from the orderly room. Problem i had with my car was i shipped the car from ny to az, but in az you have to bring the car to the dmv for some kind of inspection they do. I had to register my car and pay taxes in ny to get a in transit plate so i could drive the car to the az dmv and register the car. I used the form from my orderly room and it cost me like 25 dollars for a az liciece and to register my car for 2 years. Could have kept my ny licience but didnt (think car registration was like 8 dollars little over
Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Teching In

I was living in Louisiana for years and had Florida tags, so I did this all the time. What you need to do is contact the DMV in the county you will be getting tags in. You have to be a resident of Texas and have a licence there. They should have forms online you can download and fill out. You will pay the tax in Texas, and the title will also be issued there too. Everything can be done through the mail. If the tax is cheaper in VA, you might be able to pay it there and show Texas you already paid. I paid Florida taxes (6% compared to 8.5% in Louisiana).

You can have VA insurance as long as it meets Texas requirements. Check with GEICO on this because they know all the state laws.

Does the town you live in (VA) have an Auto Title Service type business? If so, they can handle everything, including getting you a temp tag (until yours comes in from TX) for a fee. I used them before, but found out it was cheaper if I worked with the state directly.

Another note: Where ever you pay tax on the car, KEEP a record in case you need to tag it in another state. Some states will charge you a "road tax" if you cannot show proof of this tax paid.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found some info through TexasDOT. I am a resident in Texas, which is why I want it registered there. Seems like it would be cheaper that way.

VA charges a 3% charge on the price you pay for the vehicle...
Old 09-27-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can put a VA temp tag on the car while you are waiting for TX tags. Just have to have insurance.

Re'
Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 01 WS6 2 weeks ago and have North Carolina temp tags on it, but am getting it registered in Delaware in the next 2 weeks. There are guys that I'm stationed with here in NC that have Alaska plates, you be the judge

Quick Reply: Anyone bought a car and had it it registered in another state?