Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

A&P Licensees check in... need some guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A&P Licensees check in... need some guidance.

Im getting out of the Air Force June 2010, and am wanting to continue maintenance once i get out, i really dont mind the work just all the little bullshit in the Air Force. Im a 2A051A Backshop Avionics. Ive gone as far as timing my debts to be paid off BEFORE i get out just so i can accomplish my goal of getting out and im building up my max amount of leave to ease my transition, i really cant **** it up, ive got a 14 month old and a wife who is a Vet Tech to keep happy. I have 2 years and about 8 months before im out.

MY questions:

How long did it take you to finish your A&P?

Would it be a waste of my time to get my CCAF out of the way since it only takes a few months to get? ( I have management, history, and English left) Would it help me at all scoring a job?

How hard would you think it is for me to get a job with 5 years experience, military background, the license, and the CCAF (if applicable)? I have no other real jobs other than the Air Force.

I plan on going back to the Houston, Tx area, anyone know what i would roughly be making?

Sorry if i sound inept to it all, but i am REALLY worried about getting out. I do not want to get stuck in the military like alot of people...

-justin
Old 10-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Launching!

ANYONE???

-justin
Old 10-02-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know for airframe guys or engine guys or crew chiefs you can re-up and the AF will train you and get you for liscense before you get out for good and going to work is your schooling.

I work with a log of former crew chiefs and just have to test pretty much for my A&P.

Most of the work these days is box changins or wire changing. You send the boxes out and some shop fixes them. That might be up your alley and those plases tend to pay good.

You might be able to just get your repairman liscense and that will not take very long.

For an AS and an A&P your looking at about 2 years or less full time, just just an A&P about a year and a half or a tad less.

Up here in INDY its pretty easy to find a junior A&P job making $15 an hour starting out, for comercial thats on the low to mid range.

If you wanted to make the good money be a civilian contractor for the millitary but those jobs tend not to be to stable.

I do structural repari and A&P work on United 737's and used to be on FedEx 727-200's (at a repair station for both)

In the Houston area there is a lot of Helo jobs.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Teching In

While the A&P is good to have, go for that CCAF. If you have the time, go for a BS from Embry Riddle. Those degrees will get your foot in the door for a higher paying job very quickly.

Remember this: They can take things from you, but they can NEVER take away an education.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

And remember that just because there is crap in the AF does not mean its a paradise in the civilian world.

If you can make more then high 20's an hour with your other degree or with the BS then I would go that route if you like it.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW I've been an A&P for the past 20 yrs, one word of advice I can give you is GET YOUR DEGREE.
Unless you want to be twisting wrenches for the rest of your working life, and believe me it sounds alright now, when your young, but your body will thank you later on
I got lucky, and got into quality engineering (without a degree) but I guess I'm the exception rather than the rule
Get a degree and you can do either the wrench turning, or the management side, whatever you choose
BTW as for salary I make about $75k/yr
Old 10-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Launching!

If your coming back to Tx try looking up www.l-3com.com I just started with them mid sept. Just for backround I was adaf for 6 yrs then palace chased due to force shaping to the guard. So far I think I have it pretty good benifits that started the day i did, they paid for my move from KCMO to Waco, they will pay for(reimburse) for my A&P, 160 hrs of Paid time off a year, shift differential pay 8% for 2nd shift and 12% for 3rd, after 90 days I will have a spending acct. to add to my tools that will be taken out over a year. The only bad thing for someis having to have your own tools. And tons of room for advancement. Shoot me a PM if you need anymore info or have any questions. Oh and they love prior mil. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the maint side is all ex- military
Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

How can I put this.......If you dont get a FREE degree, you are RETARDED! Go take a few cleps. I have 3 degrees, and have never set foot in a classroom, or logged on to an internet class. They may not be worth ****, but it shows an employer that I am worth a look.

Jack
Old 10-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Staging Lane

Job security is not very good right now for a&p mechanics at airports. I am a crew cheif on 130s and i looked into that but if that is the way you want to go there is a guy i think in baltimore or somewhere that you pay him 1400 bucks and you take his class for the a&p test and if yo don't pass he doesn't get his money. Pretty sure. If you need mroe detail pm and i will talk some of the people here on base and get his name or where he is at
Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Most of the work these days is box changins or wire changing. You send the boxes out and some shop fixes them. That might be up your alley and those plases tend to pay good.

You might be able to just get your repairman liscense and that will not take very long.

For an AS and an A&P your looking at about 2 years or less full time, just just an A&P about a year and a half or a tad less.

Up here in INDY its pretty easy to find a junior A&P job making $15 an hour starting out, for comercial thats on the low to mid range.

If you wanted to make the good money be a civilian contractor for the millitary but those jobs tend not to be to stable.

I do structural repari and A&P work on United 737's and used to be on FedEx 727-200's (at a repair station for both)

In the Houston area there is a lot of Helo jobs.
Yea i would not mind working in another backshop enviroment, i really dont have any "crew chief" type of experience... So no real walking around the jets for me

Another thing i have to worry about is the fact that i am overseas, so my educational opportunities are limited. The A&P license is available here, but i have to have a 7 level... which means ill have to make staff next year I only missed by 4 points this year, so next should be ok.

What exactly is an AS? I think as long as i get a job at least starting out at $15, maybe $18 and ill be perfectly happy...
Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mullet
While the A&P is good to have, go for that CCAF. If you have the time, go for a BS from Embry Riddle. Those degrees will get your foot in the door for a higher paying job very quickly.

Remember this: They can take things from you, but they can NEVER take away an education.
Yea i think im going to finish it. I bet i can get it by summer time if i can pass english and history CLEPS. I totally bombed the hist 1... English w/o essays i almost passed As for the BS from embry... i dont have time right now, i know i will one day move onto that... but i know i cant get it before 2010. I am going to go for it once im established outside the military.

-justin
Old 10-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
FWIW I've been an A&P for the past 20 yrs, one word of advice I can give you is GET YOUR DEGREE.
Unless you want to be twisting wrenches for the rest of your working life, and believe me it sounds alright now, when your young, but your body will thank you later on
I got lucky, and got into quality engineering (without a degree) but I guess I'm the exception rather than the rule
Get a degree and you can do either the wrench turning, or the management side, whatever you choose
BTW as for salary I make about $75k/yr
I plan on getting my associates for sure, I want to be in charge when im older... i cant be twisting wrenches forever... well except for the TA

-justin
Old 10-03-2007, 04:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silverbullet00
If your coming back to Tx try looking up www.l-3com.com I just started with them mid sept. Just for backround I was adaf for 6 yrs then palace chased due to force shaping to the guard. So far I think I have it pretty good benifits that started the day i did, they paid for my move from KCMO to Waco, they will pay for(reimburse) for my A&P, 160 hrs of Paid time off a year, shift differential pay 8% for 2nd shift and 12% for 3rd, after 90 days I will have a spending acct. to add to my tools that will be taken out over a year. The only bad thing for someis having to have your own tools. And tons of room for advancement. Shoot me a PM if you need anymore info or have any questions. Oh and they love prior mil. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the maint side is all ex- military
Whatkind of tools are we talking? As of now i have pretty damn healthy tool collection and rolling CTK at home. Not to mention my air tools and electric tools. I was told about that company from someone else before in looked into them. They definately are possible goal for me...

-justin
Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by babydeuce
How can I put this.......If you dont get a FREE degree, you are RETARDED! Go take a few cleps. I have 3 degrees, and have never set foot in a classroom, or logged on to an internet class. They may not be worth ****, but it shows an employer that I am worth a look.

Jack
I guess i should reword what i was asking, I will get my degree, but what should i look into getting first. I will definatelt get my CCAF before im out... even though it is worthless to some

-justin
Old 10-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Teching In

I got my BS from ERAU within 16 months, already having my AS degree when I came in. But then again, This was in SAC alert days when i had all the time in the world to study and did all the classes on base. I started out taking 2 classes per semester, then went up to 3.

My CCAF was really handed to me based on my prior credits, and the few required one I took for the BS.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Teching In

you can pm your email address and i will forward you the ccaf's a&p brochure that our section chief just send all of us c130 mx guys....it has a lot of good info...i tried to attach it but its too big...
Old 10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Launching!

you can get your a&p licence in about a week. We just had 2 guys in the shop do it. They had to a paper signed by FAA, then went to Dallas for the class. Tuition Assistance will pay for a Certification or licenace 1 time only. This is a good one to look into. also, look on www.f-16.net i believe. Many jobs on there, not just fighter postions either.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Launching!

As far as tools mainly just standard tools I just took all the tools I had from working on my cars and what I had collected over the years and thats it. When it come to specialty tools they have a tool crib or as they call it asset control. Oh and L-3 also gives you a pay raise for getting your A&P.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnDy R
you can pm your email address and i will forward you the ccaf's a&p brochure that our section chief just send all of us c130 mx guys....it has a lot of good info...i tried to attach it but its too big...
Yea i got that one a few weeks ago in my email traffic... its kinda what started the inception of this idea... damn 1st shirts and there spamming...

Originally Posted by Nite_Hawk
you can get your a&p licence in about a week. We just had 2 guys in the shop do it. They had to a paper signed by FAA, then went to Dallas for the class. Tuition Assistance will pay for a Certification or licenace 1 time only. This is a good one to look into. also, look on www.f-16.net i believe. Many jobs on there, not just fighter postions either.
a week? i saw in the brochure you have to have at least a 7 level, so ill need to make staff... and you have to be in 6 years minimum.. ME = 3 yrs 4 months.. Did they get to go to dallas permissable TDY? Because that would be the ****!

Originally Posted by silverbullet00
As far as tools mainly just standard tools I just took all the tools I had from working on my cars and what I had collected over the years and thats it. When it come to specialty tools they have a tool crib or as they call it asset control. Oh and L-3 also gives you a pay raise for getting your A&P.
Well I have plenty of tools, but its starting to get REAL heavy... I may look into them in the future

-justin
Old 10-04-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00blacksstallion
Job security is not very good right now for a&p mechanics at airports. I am a crew cheif on 130s and i looked into that but if that is the way you want to go there is a guy i think in baltimore or somewhere that you pay him 1400 bucks and you take his class for the a&p test and if yo don't pass he doesn't get his money. Pretty sure. If you need mroe detail pm and i will talk some of the people here on base and get his name or where he is at

You still have to have logged class time or on the job training, you can't just "take a test".

To the original poster, an AS is just short for assosiates degree. Like the other guys said, its worth your time to get at least an AS in it. I work with no degree guys that are like as old as my dad and they are on the floor.

My dad is a engine tech rep for a regional airline for all of their Rolls Royce engines (he workes for Rolls) for a particular aircraft. Most of his day is spent on his company lap top writing e-mails, drinking coffe, and sitting in front of the TV on the couch at home all at the same time and he makes more money then our contracted sheet metal mechanics that make $29 an hour......... and he has killer benifets.... all thanks to his degree.

Start looking around at civilian avionics jobs man, you would be suprised what they make. A lot of places will even hire you not liscensed just based of of your experiance then you go to school on the side.
If we have a jet that has an electronics problem thats more then a bad wire we just swap the box and send it to back shop for overhaul.

Almost all companies will give you a raise for getting your A&P because then you can sign stuff off. Most not all shops have a good tool crib, we have KILLER ones.
As for tools, I have been doing it for 7 months now and out of my own box I have broke out the wrenches, 1/4 inch sockets, and screw drivers......... thats mostly what everyones needs 95% of the time. There are guys there with 20+ years working on airplanes with small little push around boxes....

Quick Reply: A&P Licensees check in... need some guidance.