Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

EAS'ing soon... couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EAS'ing soon... couple questions

I'm doing a DITY move from Norfolk, VA to East Texas. I havent been able to contact my TMO office to set anything up yet though. I have heard that they will pay to have a hitch put on your vehicle if you dont have one and are moving via a trailer. Any truth to this? I'll have to get a hidden hitch since I have a roll pan on the truck, no longer a bumper...

I'll be pulling it with my truck which is pretty significantly modded, so I'm going to be nervous about it the entire way back. I'm putting a pair of air-shocks in the back to adjust the ride and keep it from staying bottomed out the whole trip since the truck is dropped so much both front and rear... I considered getting a moving truck and pulling my truck behind it on a trailer but the fuel, combined with the fact none of the rental companies I've found have a trailer big enough to fit an extended cab truck on. So with that, I'm back to either loading the holy **** out of mine, or pulling a trailer...

I have a pretty big converter in it so keeping it locked will be the of the utmost importance in order to keep trans temps down.... I have a big cooler/cooling system on the trans so I should be in pretty good shape. All the fluids will be changed before I head out, oil-filter, trans fluid-filter, diff fluid, power steering fluid, fuel filter, anti-freeze, and probably brake fluid... oh yeah, dont forget the blinker fluid

As you can tell, I'm kind of concerned about the trip and the truck especially since I've had a U joint consumption problem here lately... all I can trace it to is a stretched/bent pinion yoke... I'll change it out and see if thats the problem, pinion angles are decent...

I have about ~50 days left in... my last day is Dec 8th... I'm selling back 37 days of leave too
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you just have them ship your **** for you? In your situation that seems to make the most sense. DITY moves aren't all that!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I know way too many horror stories about TMO movers... I just simply dont trust them with my ****. I dont have a ton of stuff honestly, I moved a lot of it back about 18 months ago (after my divorce) so I dont have furniture to move except one recliner. the rest of it is just "stuff"
Old 10-17-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I know way too many horror stories about TMO movers... I just simply dont trust them with my ****. I dont have a ton of stuff honestly, I moved a lot of it back about 18 months ago (after my divorce) so I dont have furniture to move except one recliner. the rest of it is just "stuff"
Quite understandable!

The reason why I always did TMO was, that if THEY break it, THEY pay for it.

To where you break it yourself moving it, nobody pays for it!

I wouldn't dare move any of my stuff. My 56" DLP is fragile enough!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by Splitz
Quite understandable!

The reason why I always did TMO was, that if THEY break it, THEY pay for it.

To where you break it yourself moving it, nobody pays for it!

I wouldn't dare move any of my stuff. My 56" DLP is fragile enough!
very true... I wont have anything that fragile going back with me... like I said just misc "stuff" I'm suprised how many parts I've accumulated in the past couple years...
Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I have figured out how I'm weighing mine... Empty gas, no tailgate, no pass or back seats, no console... track trim I can make my 1/2 ton ext cab truck weigh in at 4100lbs... then load 'er down, interior, fuel, tailgate, and then my stuff which will be about 1000lbs at least. Then weigh again for the claim... that will probably put me around 62-300 lbs... and make for a nice payout...

-any other tips on making out on a DITY?

Quick Reply: EAS'ing soon... couple questions