Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

A&P License anyone have one????

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A&P License anyone have one????

if so where do you work? how do you like it? and about how much do you make?

im getting out of the Airforce in MAy and im thinking about going to this school in clearwater called National Aviation Academy and they say i will have my A&P License after the 21 month course. Has anyone heard of ths school?

anyone know if A&P licensed mechanic's are in demand or is it hard to get a job in this career field?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of those long schools would probably help with job placement. When I got my A&P it only took like 5 days. They could care less if I had a job.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Teching In

You can get a free A&P through the Airforce, but if you decide to go off base I would look at Embry Ridle http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/ap_program/index.html There are more companies out there looking for thier degree. Some of the courses or quicker ways do not sit well with bigger companies ie. Boeing, FedEx, and most major airlines. Use your GI bill and take the schooling. (if you went with the GI Bill?) Depending on where you work will depend on your wages. Here is some basics: http://www.aviationsalary.com/ap-mechanic-pay.asp If you want the higher payed jobs you will have to get your B.S. as well as your A&P. Going to Embry Ridle should help your chances at the bigger pay. They have some great degrees that will help push your career further along with your A&P. I just started my classes with them and I have been impressed so far, and I have been working on Aircraft for 11 years now. (C-17s) Anyway this is only my 2 cents so you will have to decide your path. Hope this helps?
Dan
Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoomersWS6
You can get a free A&P through the Airforce, but if you decide to go off base I would look at Embry Ridle http://www.erau.edu/db/degrees/ap_program/index.html There are more companies out there looking for thier degree. Some of the courses or quicker ways do not sit well with bigger companies ie. Boeing, FedEx, and most major airlines. Use your GI bill and take the schooling. (if you went with the GI Bill?) Depending on where you work will depend on your wages. Here is some basics: http://www.aviationsalary.com/ap-mechanic-pay.asp If you want the higher payed jobs you will have to get your B.S. as well as your A&P. Going to Embry Ridle should help your chances at the bigger pay. They have some great degrees that will help push your career further along with your A&P. I just started my classes with them and I have been impressed so far, and I have been working on Aircraft for 11 years now. (C-17s) Anyway this is only my 2 cents so you will have to decide your path. Hope this helps?
Dan
I would agree. However, since he's seperating he can't get it through the USAF. I thought you had to be an E-5 or above and sign for another two years. Could be wrong!

I've been out nearly 4 years, and yes, an A&P would vastly help with employment opportunities, but, sometimes they aren't necessary. We have A&P's in my backshop but it's useless unless you work on the flightline for an airline. Since airlines pay the A&P's more, the "risk" of a layoff is more suspectible.

it NEVER hurts to be certified!

But like above, I would suggest getting the A&P AND at the same time, get the BS from Embry-Riddle like I did. More opportunities with a BA then with JUST the A&P. Most of the time, the A&P school's credits will transfer up to the 1st 60 hours of a BS.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

what is A&P? is it something associated with flightline training? maybe i've heard of it but im just drawing a blank.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

A&P License = Airframe and PowerPlant FAA Certification. Has nothing to do with the USAF, but you can get it.

I had a TSgt at Lakenheath do the process through the USAF. He spent 4 months in each shop of the squadron (Propulsion, Sheet Metal, Metal Shop, Hydraulics, pneumatics, backshop avionics). If you do all the training in EACH shop, you will get the practical experience that the license requires. Then you take the exams for the actual license as well.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father is one of the guys that started the Air Force program and its a great gig.

I am a 737 300 and 500 series structures mechanic (sheetmetal). Illl have my A&P in March ish.

Best advice I can give you is get at least your A.S degree also. Lots of guys on my dock in their 50's still working on the floor, the ones with degrees have nice deck jobs or are airline or company reps making nice money.

I know a guy thats a rep for Rolls Royce on their engines for a particular aircraft for a particular communter airline and he gets $30 an hour to sit at home on a lap top every day. Every now and then goes out to the jets. He has his A&P and and degree and started out on the floor.

Ill have my A.S when I test for my A&P and if I stick with this career I will not stay on the floor very long, its hard on you and I am 24.

Contracting is were the money is if you like to travel, sheetmetal is were most of the money is but not anyone can do it, you have to have patience and some talent and some back yard skills. In two years I will get bumped up to $28 an hour were I am at now. plenty of places paying $28-$38, some oversees places paying $40-50. Keep in mind you have to have 3 years under your belt to get that. For A&P work you will max out at bottom $20's typically depending were you live and that not working for an airline and just a regular mechanic. I know United pays like $30 for A&P after some years but good luck getting on there, tons of guys that got laid off are waiting to get re-called.

Remember that as a junior A&P or sheetmetal you will be lucky to get more then say $17.50 (again this is based on were you live and cost of living), might even get $15.50 or so if its not at an airline.
Pay is based on years experiance and some places don't count millitary, the ones that do only count it if you were working on heavies.

I work with quite a few unlicensed guys, pretty much ALL of them are trying to get their liscence now because it opens up more jobs and tends to pay a tad more and it helps you get of the floor, at my place to be an inspector you have to have an A&P.

If you like engines you can make pretty good money building them for the big companies like Pratt, Rolls, ect ect.

If you have a security clearance that will help a ton.

Check this place out, one of the best schools out there,
http://www.aviationtechcenter.com/map.htm

That one, Embry-Riddle, and Purdue are the only ones I would recomend, but like I said at the very least get a two year degree, you will regret not doing that.

Search the Millitary forum, there is another good A&P thread.

Quick Reply: A&P License anyone have one????