Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Found out they are cutting up my ship

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:54 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Found out they are cutting up my ship

Just heard last night my ship is being cut up. They were making her into a museum & it fell through somehow.
Good bye to the USS Sterett CG-31.

I worked in ECM, EW-2

Old 01-11-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

My she rest in peace!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Sorry to hear that man, it's probably like losing a family member huh. Well, maybe not that bad but, I don't know what to compare it to.

With the prices of metals these days it doesn't surprise me they are doing it though.

Do you know what happens to the pieces/parts once it cut up? Recycled into other ships, sold, etc?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Here's the official statement. The guys from the USS Sterett club, got onboard somehow??(Bribe??) and striped some of our keepsakes. Doors, plagues, rails ect.

What sucks is I was all excited after all these years after it was given away as a museum. Just waiting for it to be put somewhere, so we could go see it. Not like family, but memories that have faded after 23 years. Thanks for posts, didn't think anyone would read or understand.

Contract completed in transfer of Sterett from Navy to ISL
"International Shipbreaking Ltd., Brownsville, Texas, is being awarded one of three estimated ceiling cost $25,000,000 indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity, fixed price award-fee contracts for the dismantling and recycling of inactive ships stricken from the Naval Vessel Register. The initial award is for environmental remediation, dismantling and metals recycling of ex-Sterret (CG 31). Each vessel will be bid individually and awarded under a delivery order to the successful bidder. Performance incentives are also included for superior environmental and safety performance. Work will be performed in Brownsville, Texas, and is expected to be completed by August 2009. The contract was competitively procured and advertised via the Internet, with nine offers received. Contract funds in the amount of $2,784,982 will expire by the end of the current fiscal year. The Naval Sea Systems Command, Washington, D.C., is the contracting activity. (N00024-05-D-4211)"

Quick Reply: Found out they are cutting up my ship