Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Signing my life away tomorrow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
yea you can get stripes for a 6 year contract, kind of like the army was giving stripes if you got people to sign up to go in also before you left for basic
the army has never done this..... anywho in my experience sign up for the least amount for a couple of reasons. one being in the service is a lifestyle some people like having their entire life run by someone else, some dont. secondly the bonuses are usually bigger once you are in so you sign up for the least amount of time if you do like it you can re-enlist and get more money out of it, if you dont like it then dont reup and youve havent wasted 6 years doing something you dont like.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by babydeuce
I really hate to say this, and dont take this the wrong way, but you guys give some shitty advice!

Just because you were not happy and want to get out does not mean he will be. The pro's far outweigh the cons for this guy to step up to the plate for 6 years Vs. 4. I did the 4 year thing, and hated the fact that I did not sign for 6 and get the stripes.

Lets see, sign for 4 years, start at E-1 go to E-2 in 6 months, E-3 at 16 months, and E-4 at 36 months(if he does not make BTZ)

Sign for 6 years, get E-3 out of basic or at 20 weeks/completion of tech training(depending on his contract), and E-4 at 28 months

So, lets assume that he does get E-3 out of basic
Base pay E-3 =1587.90 VS. E-1 out of basic = 1346.90

After the 16 months it would take him to make E-3 as a 4 year enlistee, he will make $443 per month more, for the first 6 months, that is $2658. The following 10 months he will make $279.90 more per month than the E-2, that is $2799 total before that 4 year enlistee makes E-3. A grand total of $5457 over 16 months.

Now lets look at the difference between E-3 and E-4 for both. He can have E-4 at 28 months(22 with BTZ) and the other guy has to wait 36 months(30 with BTZ)

Lets assume they both make BTZ, he will get 8 months of E-4 pay at $2135.00 before the other guy does. That is $345.10 per month more, or $2760.80 more over the 8 months.

Over the life span of the enlistment, he will make $8217.80 more than the other guy. No matter what, he makes more money!!! Not even going to get into the fact that he will promotion test for Staff earlier than the other guy! Financially speaking, it is the right decision.

If he does decide to get out after 6 then great, he has more on the job experience than the 4 year guy, and employers LOVE experience!
So why should he not sign for 6 years?
you do make a very valid financial point but is money worth happiness thats the real question.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by insanez
My full code is 2E231 or marked as 2E2X1. According to my recruiter, the 3 comes into play when I am fully trained, but he was not 100% sure. I appreciate all of your comments, good or bad. I personally want to retire fom the military. I have two close relatives that retired from the military, both enlisted, one E-8 from the army and one E-9 26 years from the USAF. They both loved it and miss it everyday plus they have seen it all and have alot of stories for us, lol. I still don't know what I am going to do. We'll see, but one thing that was brought to my attention today, is that there is no re-enlistment bonus for my job, there has never been one due to the need on the outside for this job.
Another thing is that the IT guy at my wife's/father's work, which is a contracted guy, said I get the experience and training, he will start me out at around $50,000 and if I go 6 years and come out with a masters, he said more like $70,000. There is no way I can get a masters in a 4 year enlistment, not with a family, so that is why I want 6. Yeah, I do agree with alot of you, 6 may be too much, I may not like it as much as I think, but I want to get as much out of this as possible. Also, even if i leave after the 4 or 6 years, I will stay active reserve until the max age so I can still get some retirement from that.
no offense but if you havent learned yet no one has to keep their word.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by babydeuce
I really hate to say this, and dont take this the wrong way, but you guys give some shitty advice!

Just because you were not happy and want to get out does not mean he will be. The pro's far outweigh the cons for this guy to step up to the plate for 6 years Vs. 4. I did the 4 year thing, and hated the fact that I did not sign for 6 and get the stripes.

Lets see, sign for 4 years, start at E-1 go to E-2 in 6 months, E-3 at 16 months, and E-4 at 36 months(if he does not make BTZ)

Sign for 6 years, get E-3 out of basic or at 20 weeks/completion of tech training(depending on his contract), and E-4 at 28 months

So, lets assume that he does get E-3 out of basic
Base pay E-3 =1587.90 VS. E-1 out of basic = 1346.90

After the 16 months it would take him to make E-3 as a 4 year enlistee, he will make $443 per month more, for the first 6 months, that is $2658. The following 10 months he will make $279.90 more per month than the E-2, that is $2799 total before that 4 year enlistee makes E-3. A grand total of $5457 over 16 months.

Now lets look at the difference between E-3 and E-4 for both. He can have E-4 at 28 months(22 with BTZ) and the other guy has to wait 36 months(30 with BTZ)

Lets assume they both make BTZ, he will get 8 months of E-4 pay at $2135.00 before the other guy does. That is $345.10 per month more, or $2760.80 more over the 8 months.

Over the life span of the enlistment, he will make $8217.80 more than the other guy. No matter what, he makes more money!!! Not even going to get into the fact that he will promotion test for Staff earlier than the other guy! Financially speaking, it is the right decision.

If he does decide to get out after 6 then great, he has more on the job experience than the 4 year guy, and employers LOVE experience!
So why should he not sign for 6 years?
Because it's ridiculous. Go out into the civilian world and get a job that pays WAY more than that crappy "pay" they give us. I took a $900 pay cut coming into the military.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

asmuch as i agree with the shitty pay, you just cant look at it as well in the civi world i made 2500 a month and in the AF i only make 1700, but guess what, you can get free housing, medical dental, commissary and BX use which saves a shitlaod of money, and not to mention (i know its nto the best but you can eat at the chow hall for lunch and save mmore money)
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Launching!

Housing you could pretty much make up for with a civilian job. Medical and Dental are horrible and if you use them, everyone calls you a ***** for it and you get looked down on for doing it. Commissary and PX? Honestly, how much are you really saving? It can't be THAT much. Chowhall, sure, if I want to throw up at night. I got a job offer 3 weeks ago for a job that pays 4 1/2 TIMES what I make right now and it makes me so angry that I had to turn down a job that could make my life a whole lot easier and provide for my family WAYYYY more than the military EVER could.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
Housing you could pretty much make up for with a civilian job. Medical and Dental are horrible and if you use them, everyone calls you a ***** for it and you get looked down on for doing it. Commissary and PX? Honestly, how much are you really saving? It can't be THAT much. Chowhall, sure, if I want to throw up at night. I got a job offer 3 weeks ago for a job that pays 4 1/2 TIMES what I make right now and it makes me so angry that I had to turn down a job that could make my life a whole lot easier and provide for my family WAYYYY more than the military EVER could.
you must work with some fucked up people, ITS FREE housing how could you make up with that wiht a civ pay check, at barksdale they have some brand new houses that look great with full front and back yards 2 stories and a garage, my dental and medical have alwasy been great, hell they flew my sis from japan to hawaii for a 1 day Operation and let her stay for a week and no it only took her like 2 days to recover and the doc's knew that, and with the commisary you save a SHITLOAD, bx you save a lil, but overseas you save alot too, and as for that job you got offerd, would you have got it offerd to you if you didnt have the training the military gave to you?
Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Launching!

dragon, you made a good point. What is commisary? just wondering.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by insanez
dragon, you made a good point. What is commisary? just wondering.
It's a grocery store on base that has really good prices on their products compared to Walmart or other local grocery stores. Not to mention, it's also tax free.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zeke34
It's a grocery store on base that has really good prices on their products compared to Walmart or other local grocery stores. Not to mention, it's also tax free.
yep, its pretty much got everything you would need, even got an internatioal isle lol, prices are always lower than off base and like said before its tax free, you pay a smal service charge to pay the people that work there and usaully give the baggers a tip of a couple bucks, but in the end you save ALOT
Old 02-21-2008, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zeke34
it isn't tax free, you have to pay the "fee" and you also have the tips for the baggers.

we usually just get our meat products at the commisary.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sparky t/a
it isn't tax free, you have to pay the "fee" and you also have the tips for the baggers.

we usually just get our meat products at the commisary.
how is it not tax free? the service charge is only a couple of bucks, and you DONT have to tip the baggers, its just a nice thing to do, how about u go to walmart and go grocery shopping, then go to the commisary and buy the same exact stuff and see how much you save!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:44 AM
On The Tree

we buy alot of items at winn dixie and walmart as opposed to the commisary since their sales can be cheaper than the commisary, unless you are spending a lot of money that fee is usually equal to tax.

we are very sharp on our budget since we have a single income family and own a home, we are always watching prices, cutting coupons, checking for sales so we know what is cheaper.

i don't tip the baggers if i carry my items out but if they are pushing the carts out and unloading i will tip them. (they don't get paid otherwise)
Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 AM
On The Tree

i am by no means trying to cut you down, just pointing out the facts.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 AM
On The Tree

also, walmart fuel is cheaper than on base.

yes they will price match but that only works if they are open inside for you to ask for it.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:33 AM
On The Tree

dont buy gas on base anyway, aafes has been getting a bad supply of gas for the past month, service charge is no where near the taxes you would have to pay off base, and the bx is also tax free, but before anybody starts bitching that the military doesnt pay taxes let me tell you right now THEY ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE PAY CHECK before we even see it, i cant stand when people say the military doesnt pay taxes, hell if you wanna get technical the military pays its own paycheck lol, there are alot of saving to be had on base, and that goes double for a case lot sale at the commisary lol
Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ yes i concur, we pay our own damn paycheck.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black_dragon_93
dont buy gas on base anyway, aafes has been getting a bad supply of gas for the past month, service charge is no where near the taxes you would have to pay off base, and the bx is also tax free, but before anybody starts bitching that the military doesnt pay taxes let me tell you right now THEY ARE TAKEN OUT OF THE PAY CHECK before we even see it, i cant stand when people say the military doesnt pay taxes, hell if you wanna get technical the military pays its own paycheck lol, there are alot of saving to be had on base, and that goes double for a case lot sale at the commisary lol
oh yeah, i forgot the class six can't beat the booze prices.

Quick Reply: Signing my life away tomorrow!!!